Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alternate Worlds Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  14:56:45  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I've been toying with a campaign idea that I had a few notions about back in 2008-2009, with people getting out of dodge during the 1385 sundering (I wish they hadn't used the same term twice) and perhaps people could give some suggestions on things that could help me tie it in with the published materials.

Alright.

Premise:"Halruaa went boom".
What if that's not what happened? What if that's just what the people outside of Halruaa think happened? So we know that Halruaa is not present on the 4e map.

Perhaps someone tipped off the mages of Halruaa of what was coming, and they (keeping their mouths relatively shut on the matter) came up with a plan to shield themselves from the fall of the weave in 1385; the end result of which is displacing Halruaa from Faerun.

Perhaps more than Halruaa was displaced. Maybe the Halruaan mages contacted their allied mages in several other locations and those mages, who made attempts to tether themselves to the protective efforts of the Halruaans were displaced with them. Perhaps they used non-weave magic; maybe it was shadow weave. Or perhaps they warped the weave such that if it fell apart elsewhere, they would be isolated and contained in bubbles removed from the existing weave.

The end result being that many things which existed in 1385 may not have actually been destroyed.

Where did they go?
> Maybe they ended up in a contained demiplane.
> maybe they ended up as a new non-demi plane.
> Maybe they shunted themselves into Faerun's Future, or Past.
> Maybe they shunted themselves into another prime material plane, causing problems for its local inhabitants.
> Maybe they forked the universe. Perhaps in one timeline things went on as they did in 4e, and their forking caused destruction there. Perhaps they actually succeeded wholesale, and in the forked reality, the gods responsible for Mystra's death weren't brought with the forking.

My original thought was that this could be a good way for me to make use of my Arcane Age stuff, plopping down a bunch of 3e Faerun in the ancient past; and it would give me an excuse to have all kinds of magical side effects, or planar rifts, or whatever I might want to incorporate into my game - perhaps a permanent gate to the Astral plane, such that some Githyanki start to set up shop in Alternate Faerun, or something similar, but using Tanar'ri, Ba'atezu., and Yugoloths. Or perhaps there are things connecting it to another (or several other) prime material planes that I like, giving me an excuse to incorporate some of my Golarion Material (since Golarion has a somewhat similar feel to Faerun in many ways - but more American), such as a Chelaxian incursion, or some stuff from Geb or Ustalav.

I'm looking for any input that might help me expand on this idea to see where I could take it, what interesting things I could do with it, and bits of canon I could use to tie it to the official realms.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 16 Nov 2014 15:39:07

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  20:06:18  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to be of much help since I rejected 4e because of the system, the mechanics, the dynamic of game play, and the rendering of ALL my game material on Forgotten Realms moot but stagnating everything else; however, that historically interesting but now irrelevant material has just the outs necessary. High level mages of Netheril had contingency spells that warned them of the collapse. Also some Netherese had shifted their city into the demi-plane of shadow to reemerge as the City of Shade 1000 years after the fall. Halruaans, being descendents of the Netherese, would know about these events, the wonky nature of the weave and being on the third god of magic, might have actually had people who learned those lessons well and done something when the weave collapsed YET AGAIN. There is precedent. How 4e-5e lore may tie into that, ???? I'll leave that for the sages, luminaries, and other-thinking-people.

... I knew I should have made my handle "Vroomfundel."

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  20:39:54  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's a good point. I forgot the ties the Halruaans have to the Netherese.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction to 4e. But am pondering future campaigns, and this was an idea I had for it. :)

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  21:35:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been bugged by 4E Halruaa. One of the web articles said the place detonated, and the force of the explosion was so great that it shattered the land bridge to Chult, turning it into an island.

That right there is problematic; there's a mountain range in the way.

But then the 4E campaign book describes Halruaa as a land in ruins. It's still there, and there are buildings still standing.

So we have a massive explosion that jumped over a mountain range, came back down, smashed land on the other side, and failed to do that much damage at ground zero. Also, it only jumped one mountain range, none of the others.

A giant illusion could explain some of it, perhaps, or some other contingency magic. Mayhaps Zalathorm had some inkling of pending disaster, and led his people in a grand working that allowed them to avoid the big boom. The Five Companies could have been excluded from, and ignorant of this working... Or perhaps while the rest of the Halruaans went elsewhere, those that became the Five Companies remained behind to bring them back or let them know when it was safe to return.

In a thread with a title I've forgotten, we theorized a Sarrukh stronghold of some sort, a kind of magical storehouse, parked on that land bridge next to Chult. We further theorized that this storehouse was what blew up and caused the destruction of the land bridge.

Not sure if any of that helps you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  22:53:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I kind of like the idea that of all people's the Halruaans may have had some kind of "weave monitoring system" setup and that in advance of such a failure maybe they had some kind of contingent land displacement effect in play.... even if such were only for its major cities. It could feel a little contrived though, in that HOW were they able to monitor such an effect and pinpoint when the weave would fail such that this effect could still occur? Or was this powered by a magical effect which was some kind of stored magical energy that was weave independent?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  00:28:09  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The Halruaans may have had some kind of "weave monitoring system" setup and that in advance of such a failure maybe they had some kind of contingent land displacement effect in play.... even if such were only for its major cities.
Ooh; I like this idea even better than them having a vision, or someone tipping them off. A defense system which was arranged in advance.

quote:
It could feel a little contrived though, in that HOW were they able to monitor such an effect and pinpoint when the weave would fail such that this effect could still occur? Or was this powered by a magical effect which was some kind of stored magical energy that was weave independent?
Hmm. Perhaps it wasn't an advane warning thing, but instead somethign that went off just after the weave failed;

Maybe they studied the weave, and arranged something similar to a Mythal, in that it's a web of magic, but unlike a traditional Mythal, this one is a web of magic designed to serve as a replacement for the weave, that is drawn upon for the contingent spells in case something happens to the standard weave; and this independently powered magic could be monitoring the standard weave (which I sort of picture like a fine mesh permeating the multiverse) - in a situation where it is collapsing, exploding, or otherwise a seriously bad day; Perhaps it was arranged like a battery, or perhaps it was tied into one of the other power sources. Could be divine power, the shadow weave, or something else entirely. Clearly magic can be used without the weave (4e magic is weaveless, right?), and maybe that's what happened here.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always been bugged by 4E Halruaa. One of the web articles said the place detonated, and the force of the explosion was so great that it shattered the land bridge to Chult, turning it into an island.

That right there is problematic; there's a mountain range in the way.

But then the 4E campaign book describes Halruaa as a land in ruins. It's still there, and there are buildings still standing.

So we have a massive explosion that jumped over a mountain range, came back down, smashed land on the other side, and failed to do that much damage at ground zero. Also, it only jumped one mountain range, none of the others.
That does seem problematic.

quote:
A giant illusion could explain some of it, perhaps, or some other contingency magic. Mayhaps Zalathorm had some inkling of pending disaster, and led his people in a grand working that allowed them to avoid the big boom. The Five Companies could have been excluded from, and ignorant of this working... Or perhaps while the rest of the Halruaans went elsewhere, those that became the Five Companies remained behind to bring them back or let them know when it was safe to return.
Hmm; perhaps. It's also possible that not all went according to plan. Perhaps some were left out by accident for one reason or another. Maybe they were in some kind of area that had been dimensionally anchored, or teleport caged, or the like. Perhaps for magical research purposes; and were thusly abandoned.

quote:
In a thread with a title I've forgotten, we theorized a Sarrukh stronghold of some sort, a kind of magical storehouse, parked on that land bridge next to Chult. We further theorized that this storehouse was what blew up and caused the destruction of the land bridge.
I like that explanation. Maybe it was a storehouse of Sarrukh artifacts and the like, being studied by the Halruaans. Perhaps the Sarrukh artifacts (or one of them, or something) were the source of the power. Or something to anchor them when their defenses activated. Perhaps they were chronally displaced to the time the Sarrukh ruled. I remember some kind of time travel plot involving Neverwinter Nights and the Sarrukh (though I don't recall the details). Perhaps they made use of Sarrukh time travel magic (or a Sarrukh time travel based artifact) to pull themselves away from the disaster.

After all, none of these ideas are that far off from what their Netherese ancestors did with the plane of shadow.

quote:
Not sure if any of that helps you.
All of it does. Great ideas so far, guys. If you have anything else I could use to tie in to this kind of idea, I'm interested in hearing it.

I figure almost all the Halruaan stuff of importance would be protected by their defense system, including outposts outside their lands. Important figures, as well; and perhaps some of their allies who wore protective charms made by the Halruaans would be protected as well (I'm imagining this as a wide scope protective system, more than a system designed solely to handle the weave collapsing).

So some of the damage caused may have been not due to the collapse of the weave after Mystra's death, but due to side effects from Halruaan defenses against such catastrophe wreaking havoc on Faerun as an unfortunate side-effect.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions of my ideas, as well. Let me know if the premise sounds stupid, or if any of the points sound stupid, or if they are contradicted in several places, or what have you. I would prefer my ideas be possible without directly contradicting any actual canon, 4e or otherwise. Making them as plausible as can be managed is better.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  01:26:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, found it... It was a thread about creating lore to fix what was broken with 4E.

Several pages in, in response to my issues with what happened to Halruaa and Chult, Markustay had suggested first that the land bridge was shattered by the force of Halruaa's explosion traveling along faultlines. He later suggested that the land bridge detonation was caused by the explosion of a Sarrukh artifact, located in the yuan-ti city of Ss'inthee'ssaree, which is in that general vicinity.

And then I expanded on that: "Perhaps this city was something of a magical warehouse, and/or the site of some sort of proto-mythal, and the Spellplague caused this to detonate. This explosion was concurrent with the explosion in Halruaa, but otherwise unrelated -- that would give the impression of it being a single event, but would also explain how Halruaa was not affected by the same devastation."

This sidesteps the issue of how the explosion caused so much damage elsewhere, but not at ground zero -- Halruaa wasn't ground zero. It also dodges trying to explain how the explosion went up over a mountain range and back down. Instead, it was two separate explosions, unrelated but happening at the same time, caused by the Spellplague. No one knew about this place in the Chultan peninsula (which was part of a sarrukh empire, back in the day), so it was mistakenly assumed that the devastation of the peninsula was due to the devastation of Halruaa.

And it didn't have to be centered in Ss'inthee'ssaree; since the whole peninsula was once sarrukh territory, it could have been one or multiple sites there that went boom.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  08:11:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the giant illusion hypothesis. Perhaps an illusion reinforced with some actual extradimensional or teleportive mixups to keep Halruaa exactly where it is while seamlessly overlapping a semi-real cratered landscape onto the perceptions of all outsiders who visit. This might be a massive variant of a forget-style enchantment, such as the sort which virtually erased Finders existence from the Realms.

Halruaa possessed numerous unknown and powerful magics, Netherese legacy notwithstanding. Perhaps they had uber Wish spells, chronomancy, wild magic, and more? And they were said to be unparallelled masters of divination, surely they must have also mastered counter-divinations (ie, illusion magics) as well?

Precedents for extraplanar shifts do exist - Evermeet and Shade come to mind - but nothing on the sheer scale of Halruaa has yet been reported in Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  16:22:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal preference would be to use the concurrent explosions angle, with the people of Halruaa -- perhaps with their skyships -- having gone elsewhere. Moving an entire chunk of land takes a lot more work, both magically and for producing a plausible explanation.

So we have the Toril-shattering kaboom actually be two separate kabooms, with the one outside of Halruaa having been the Toril-shattering one (or at least, peninsula-shattering).

And we don't even have to have had the Halruaans having escaped beforehand... Maybe the detonation of Halruaa would have been worse, but Azuth, acting in those first desperate seconds after the death of Mystra, somehow mitigated the blast. Maybe he channeled the force of it elsewhere, maybe he absorbed it... Either way, his actions brought the Halruaans enough time to get out of Dodge. Perhaps they activated some previously-planned contingency (maybe hopping to another continent, rather than the Shade route of going to another plane, or maybe going into some sort of stasis), perhaps it was a quick and rather frantic scramble to go elsewhere.

His actions saved the people of Halruaa, but Azuth was weakened and cast tumbling across the planes... Per canon, he landed at the feet of Asmodeus, who ate him, but perhaps he was instead imprisoned, and Asmo was siphoning off Azuth's power to appear divine.

Now, for the Halruaan exodus... Halruaa was founded by refugees fleeing from Netheril's fall. It makes sense that they would have plans for another exodus. Maybe they pile into their flying ships and take another flight, or maybe open a series of gates to go elsewhere. But either way, they abandon their land -- leaving us with the depopulated, partially damaged country we have in canon.

As mentioned before, the Five Companies may have been elsewhere and missed the exodus, or they deliberately chose to remain behind. If the latter, maybe they are watching for a time when Halruaa can be repopulated, or maybe they are guarding their fallen land, or maybe they are secretly working to some end that will restore the land to what it was.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  16:43:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they knew in advance what was coming and it was revealed to them that the whole reason for their existence was to await the time when the two worlds would overlap so that they could all make the crossing via their many gates--all redirected to Abeir, where they have been spreading the knowledge of magic and laying the groundwork for Mystra to either rule over two worlds or to have an alternate power source to get her jump started and back to full Greater divinity once the Sundering is complete.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Nov 2014 16:52:43
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  16:59:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Countdown to the Realms thing from back in 2008 doesn't necessarily hold (good) answers but I think it's relevant enough to be considered if you're building from canon rather than entirely disregarding it. Let it never be said that I like the 4e story; my contempt for it is truly infinite. Can't blame Brian (or others) for it, though; they've just tried to make the best of it.

I think this part --

quote:
Five breaths longer and the storm would crash into the battlement upon which I stood with a handful of loomwardens. I recall hastily whispered prayers to Azuth, a moment of unqualified stillness, and then nothing.

-- helps set the stage for a mass exodus, by spell rather than skyship. Though not all Halruans would be immediately aware of what was happening, I agree that some (the highest level diviners for example) would know that magic was about to get unreliable. Plus, the wall of blue fire extended quite some distance into the sky, and they wouldn't want to get "hit" by it. So I think the skyships option is unattractive, because the Halruans would find it unattractive. What does sound appealing, though, is portals or gates, and spells that duplicate that effect. Some of them saw the blue fire on Selune, so it would be rational to conclude that nowhere in Faerun would be safe. The Underdark? ...Who knows. Another plane sounds good, though.

The same article, however, implies that many did not escape.

quote:
The nation of Halruaa, however, would suffer horribly that ill-fated night. The three great mountain ranges that oft protected the nation from external invasion actually made it difficult for many Halruaans to escape the uncontrolled wild magic unleashed across the countryside.

This makes sense, because while the percentage of wizards in the population is higher than most other Realms, it's still the case that most of those wizards have insufficient power to port large numbers of people to other planes, and some of those high level wizards will be clustered in cities which drops the number available to rural folks. But given Halruaa's low population, even their capital is practically rural.

I think that some (probably the high level diviners) had an inkling right before the event that something was going to happen in the near future. They would have gotten no confirmation from Mystra or Azuth, or their servants. Some might have waited for an answer; others would have taken the precaution of clearing their schedules for the week and taking a vacation with their families in the balmy breezes of Arvandor, Celestia, or somesuch. Perhaps even Sigil; maybe that psychobedlam feels like a vacation for Halruans.

The rest... those who were able would have packed their children and friends into extradimensional spaces and hoped for the best -- I suspect that Halruaa was filled with such spaces, as Netheril would have been.

A number of things could have happened to the Faerun-side of those extradimensional spaces. Detonation. Shifting fully into Faerun or a different plane. Open the lid and find yourself in the Far Realm. The occupants might have been squished if the space lost its extradimensional component. Or they might have been polymorphed, into anything.

Anyway, I think those who could reach a skyship but couldn't reach a portal would definitely take their chances in a skyship rather than staying on the surface of Faerun. But for those who could choose either, I think interplanar portals > skyships for this particular storyline.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  17:27:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Separate post for a wacko idea which ignores the link I just linked.

What if several of Halruaa's foremost mages were actively communicating with Mystra, Azuth, and her servants at T-minus-zero? These mages were also in contact with several of their "coworkers" and underlings, because that's half the reason for inventing the crystal ball. (The other half is spying on those who annoyingly insist on wearing clothes whenever they're out in public.) The result is that let's say 75% of the Halruan mages and their guards and friends were on a sort of cosmic videochat. Notably this includes the staff of the temples of Mystra and Azuth, who were probably facilitating, as well as the people in charge of every named community in Halruaa.

Mystra: "Look, it's really sweet of you guys and gals to check in on me, but I'm fine. I do appreciate your affection and concern. But really, I'm fine."
Halruaa: "Okay, just making sure."
Azuth: "Buncha booty-kissers."
Halruaa: "We love you too, Azuth."
Azuth: "Whatever. Go soak your heads."
Halruaa: "Wait, what's that shadow behind you?!"
Mystra: "Who? *Unhh...*"

Dweomerheart collapses, forming the planar equivalent of a black hole. Several hundred Halruaan mages and their immediate physical surroundings are sucked into the vortex through the still-open connection. Mystra is expelled into Faerun, while Azuth (and let's say Cyric, for fun) are flung into the Outer Planes. Cyric, expecting something of this sort, quickly vacates the area, but Azuth is found by Asmodeus... or however that part of the story goes.

Mystra does that thing the gods did when killed during the TOT... kaboom. Only this is really her, not just an avatar, so it's a bit bigger in scope. The land is twisted, most of the remaining people and animals are twisted into other forms, etc. Since the national and community leaders are gone, there's no organization and very little magical support in the attempts to escape or figure out what happened.

The Halruan wizards are left in a nonspace that was once Dweomerheart. Maybe they cease to exist, or maybe they pop out in the Astral Plane. Maybe someone (like Selune; she's cool like that) rescues them. I kinda like the idea of mixing these solutions... they cease to exist, and then appear in the Astral Plane at a different point in time. Or outside time. Mystra had time travel in her portfolio, after all.

This idea is aimed only at the devastation within Halruaa. I agree that the disruption of the Chultan peninsula is a totally separate event, and exploding a sarrukh cache is the best explanation I've seen yet.

Anyway, I think that fills my quota of crazy ideas for a little while.

Edit: I like these ideas, in spite of them being less crazy than mine. (Keep practicing, grasshopper! )

quote:
> Maybe they forked the universe. Perhaps in one timeline things went on as they did in 4e, and their forking caused destruction there. Perhaps they actually succeeded wholesale, and in the forked reality, the gods responsible for Mystra's death weren't brought with the forking.

My original thought was that this could be a good way for me to make use of my Arcane Age stuff, plopping down a bunch of 3e Faerun in the ancient past; and it would give me an excuse to have all kinds of magical side effects, or planar rifts, or whatever I might want to incorporate into my game

Edit again: I despise the brainfart that led to Cyric succeeding at his plot to kill Mystra, because he was defined by his flashy ideas but lack of aptitude to actually succeed at anything. He's nuts, and he only works when he fails. So in the interest of Mystra not actually being destroyed, and thus being restorable at a later date, there's an interesting series of things that could happen here.

1. Cyric backstabs Mystra's body in Dweomerheart.
2. Dweomerheart collapses inward, pulling the "edges" of the plane inward to her body at infinite speed. Like the black holes we know and love, this infinite increase in density results in a forceful expulsion. Mystra's body is hurled onto the surface of Halruaa, and detonates. Azuth gets scooped up, Cyric watches and chuckles. He's a nasty voyeur like that.
3. On Faerun, the Weave disintegrates. It doesn't cease to exist, but it frays. Imagine a woven polo shirt, separated into individual threads. The material is still there, but you can't do anything with it.
4. Mystra's essence "survives" in some form, but:
a. She can't return to Dweomerheart, because it doesn't exist.
b. She can't use magic, because the Weave is coming apart.
c. She can't communicate with anyone because she doesn't have a body/mouth... and because everybody in Halruaa is being twisted into other forms.
d. The death of her "physical" form in Dweomerheart, and the loss of Dweomerheart itself, means that she's not divine.

Effectively, there is no Mystra... even though she still technically exists. Problem: Even the gods (except Ao, if you believe in him) think she's destroyed.

Queue an epic PC campaign to (a) realize that she still exists, (b) find her, and (c) restore her to divine power.

I'm assuming the Sundering restores Mystra --I haven't even finished book 1 yet-- but the PCs should always take precedence over novels within your own campaign.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 17 Nov 2014 17:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  17:34:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

The same article, however, implies that many did not escape.

quote:
The nation of Halruaa, however, would suffer horribly that ill-fated night. The three great mountain ranges that oft protected the nation from external invasion actually made it difficult for many Halruaans to escape the uncontrolled wild magic unleashed across the countryside.

Well, that could be spun differently... If the bulk of Halruaa's population went elsewhere, then there would not be survivors where the people of Faerūn could find them. No survivors walking around implies a lack of survivors to walk around...

What I am positing is that no survivors came streaming over the mountains because they were headed elsewhere. People noted a lack of Halruaans, and -- coupled with the mistaken belief that the two kabooms were one -- assumed that the absence of Halruaan refugees in nearby lands meant they'd all been wiped out.

I should like to clarify that I'm not saying this is what actually happened... I'm just taking existing pieces of lore and assembling a slightly different picture with them. There is nothing at all to indicate I'm on the correct track; this is entirely an alternate spin, not a theory.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  17:52:12  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha. Totally makes sense. And I like shifting away from the omniscient narrator to assumptions being made and stories being crafted and told as fact, based on the faulty assumptions.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  20:27:37  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my part (and the reason I came up with the idea at the beginning of the thread, is I'm looking to diverge from the 4e timeline, do something else cool with my realms material (not sure what) and have plausible explanations in actual canon to tie it into.

I thought my original post was clear that by no means was this a "This is what I think actually happened" so much as a "Here's an idea for something that seems like a plausible tie in for avoiding 4e canon without saying it didn't happen." but maybe it wasn't clear enough. lol

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Nov 2014 20:30:43
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  21:03:49  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter, Sylrae, because you got people thinking about the event and new possibilities thereof. I mean, people are discussing that there may be canonical room for Halruaans in 4e-5e which parallels what you were asking for - close but not the same. I had a person tell me that creative discussion is like painting a picture in a frame 100 times too small with the choices being to stop at the frame's borders, reduce the scale to fit the entire picture no matter how much detail was lost, resize the frame no mater how impractically huge, or to move the frame until the best of what fits inside is shown. You might as well just enjoy the ideas that spin from here and cherry-pick the ones that most suit what you are needing for your game.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  21:31:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

For my part (and the reason I came up with the idea at the beginning of the thread, is I'm looking to diverge from the 4e timeline, do something else cool with my realms material (not sure what) and have plausible explanations in actual canon to tie it into.

I thought my original post was clear that by no means was this a "This is what I think actually happened" so much as a "Here's an idea for something that seems like a plausible tie in for avoiding 4e canon without saying it didn't happen." but maybe it wasn't clear enough. lol

Oh, it was clear enough. I have a preference, when tossing things out, to make sure it's clear whether I'm presenting canon material, theories supported by canon material, opinions, or stuff I dreamed up that may or not fit into existing canon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000