Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  13:35:37  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I understand that the Open Lord is likely voted on by the rest of the Lords... but how does one become one of the Masked Lords? If no one knows who they are, except the other Masked Lords, then surely there is no election. Do they just vote internally for the best businessmen in Waterdeep or...?

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  14:51:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that it's ever been formally described... Pretty much all we have is a few references in descriptions of Lords, and Danilo being offered a Lordship in Elfsong.

But since only the Lords know who the other Lords are, only they know when there is a vacancy to fill. And basically, the vacancies are filled by an existing Lord putting forth a candidate he or she thinks would be a good Lord. The prospective Lord is likely to be an agent who has proven themselves repeatedly by serving one or more of the Lords, or at the least someone who has a proven dedication to the city and a desire to see it prosper.

I would think that the other unwritten qualifications would be someone who can think on their feet and who has been willing to risk their life for the city.

I am inclined to think that another factor is what a prospective Lord would bring to the table... When I wrote my Lords of Waterdeep articles, I gave each of my four Lords something different to bring to the table, that the other Lords couldn't provide as well. Terielle is a priestess of one of Waterdeep's patron deities, and has connections all over the city, so she's got a lot of info. Aerys knows Sword Coast shipping like no one else, and has extensive knowledge of what's in the water, not just on top of it. Taethen is an elf-friend and agent of Amlaruil; while Kyriani is officially supposed to be a sort of elven liaison, it is my opinion that neither her personality (she's never shown much interest in elven issues) nor her nature as a half-elf suit her for this role. Sierkan brings knowledge of psionics to the table; the fact that he's friends with someone who has infiltrated the Unseen is a huge bonus. My fifth personally created Lord, referred to in the other articles but never written up, knows Undermountain better than most and has a degree of safe passage thru it, and has many contacts in Skullport.

We also know, thanks to Ed, that at least in the pre-Spellplague era, there was some magical observation going on. The quote below is from Ed, when I was curious about Randulaith's desire to be a Lord of Waterdeep, and about the idea of the Lords knowingly admitting an evil person into their ranks.

quote:
The Hidden Lords don’t have any official way of screening new candidates to join their ranks, but unofficially Khelben and Laeral mindscry everyone, FAR more subtly than the War Wizards go about it (Laeral in particular takes pride in the person being examined having no inkling that she’s done any probing). Nor does this thought reading end when someone is accepted as a Lord; Khelben was suspicious enough to eavesdrop on the Lords fairly often - - though he and Laeral had several arguments about this; she didn’t mind him prying and knowing, but she wanted him to keep back and “Let the Lords be lords and do their own ruling, fall into their own corruption, and make their own mistakes. You can’t be ‘fixing’ everyone’s deeds and making up their minds for them in everything, Blackstaff mine!”
Most of the Lords have no idea that Khelben and Laeral do this (rumors in plenty abound in the city all the time about the Lords being the puppets of Khelben or this noble lord or that crime boss, but even the Lords have no hard evidence of their thoughts being monitored often). A few suspect it darkly (and firmly), and Piergeiron “knows” he can call on Khelben to probe someone he himself is very unsure of - - but he believes Khelben does this only reluctantly (because Laeral has badgered Khelben into acting reluctant), when the Open Lord insists on it.
Piergeiron has his own trusted mages he more often uses to pry into the affairs of Lords (though he does so with true reluctance, and as rarely as possible), and certain secret agreements with the Watchful Order (e.g. “If a Lord is murdered, and I confirm to you that the victim was a Lord, you will covertly use spells to spy on, and try to read the thoughts of, certain persons I will then name to you, and report all results back to me in confidence, or in the event of my death will report to the Lord or Lady Mage of Waterdeep”) to cast spells in the event of certain occurrences.

And, yes, if the Lords believe a person truly has the best interests of the City at heart, they would indeed offer a Lordship to someone they knew was evil. Of course, that person would be constantly spied upon, magically and otherwise, by the means I’ve already described and by others (hired guilds and private adventurers who would not be told the person was a Lord, but who would be asked to look for evidence of specific meetings, activities, etc.), from the moment they “took the mask.” Randulaith would of course be one such, if chosen, and Elaith would be another.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000