Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 King Verovan's Hoard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  11:27:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The last king of Westgate, the tyrant Verovan, supposedly had a legendary treasure hoard kept in a pocket realm of the Abyss that was accessible only via a magical bridge that extended out from a battlement of the northernmost tower of Castle Vhammos (one assumes the bridge was invisible), and required a key to open the portal (a key that is part of the badge of House Thalavar.

Now the key and the treasure hoard were lost forever in 1368 DR when the key was thrown through the aperture leading to the pocket realm (thereby preventing it from being opened from the outside).

That is all from the Cloak and Dagger web enhancement.

What is puzzling is that the worshippers of the Baneson are interested in the hoard because the pocket realm is supposedly in the home of Iyachtu Xvim's mother (a marillith i think).

Now the question is what else do we know of this hoard. Why is it linked to the Baneson's mother's realm.

Could it be that the hoard of King Verovan is actually the misappropriated hoard of Iyachtu Xvim from when he ruled Westgate (in which case what other secrets does Castle Vhammos/Xvim hide).

If so how did Verovan come to possess the key that opens the portal. Did he steal it from Xvim, find it by chance, perhaps Verovan and therefore Thistle Thalavar are descended from Xvim. The greenness of the feather is Xvim's favoured colour (although i'm not sure of the significance of the copper or feather to Xvim).

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, or knowledge, etc?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  14:53:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read the fantastic novel "Masquerades"? (Fourth of the Alias novels.)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  15:29:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I havent i'm afraid. Novels have never been my thing. I only read reference books (and FR sourcebooks).

I take it the answers to my questions are in the novel?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  17:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. The hoard plays a major part in the novel. The final battle actually takes place inside it, and there's a lot of exploration into what it is and how it came to be.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  17:50:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's a Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak novel. I recommend their stuff before just about anybody else's, when discussing novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  18:11:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And it's a Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak novel. I recommend their stuff before just about anybody else's, when discussing novels.

I can say that when I wrote the web enhancement, I went through that novel page by page to get every detail synched up.

It's really a good story and worth the read.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000