Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Where in the World is Nvestro San Diego?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  20:55:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Nvestro was almost credited with a spell in Champions of Ruin. We know he exists. But who is he? What is he? The hunt has raged (oh yes, raged!) for almost 10 years now. Well, 100 years in Faerun.

Where is Nvestro when the Gods fall to earth? What is he doing just before the Weave erupts in blue fire across the land? What is his stance on Szass Tam's rise to power? Does he take his eggs poached or scrambled? Does he wear smart robes or a sensible tunic & breeches combo? These questions hound us relentlessly, and the only respite is answers!

Please post sightings and additional concerns here.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  21:08:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was almost credited?

As for me, I don't recognize the name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  21:33:46  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nvestro's black ray is in the table of contents but not in the text. Slashing darkness is in the text but not in the table of contents. I'm fine with assuming that the spell got renamed during the editing process, and someone forgot that the table of contents was in a separate document, and then the files were slapped together. Just guessing.

I haven't found any mention of Nvestro anywhere else... except where others are asking what happened. But you know how it is, it's a slow day and some overworked-and-underpaid shard of my questionable mind seized control for a moment and put out an all points bulletin.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  23:40:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book lists three authors. Two I don't know, but the 3rd one is Eric Boyd, so he may know what happened to Nvestro.

Personally, (due to the name), I picture him looking like THIS GUY.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Oct 2014 23:40:27
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  00:39:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about asking Eric, and in fact typed up a post in his scroll, but then decided against it. People have been asking about the mixup ever since it happened. I'm thinking if there was genuinely important lore associated, Eric would have already cleared it up. So I decided to throw it out here, and see what happened. Who knows, maybe the other designers are lurking around here somewhere.

The Mysterio pic definitely seems fitting.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  01:00:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it not obvious? Another necromancer stole Nvestros spellbooks but made a few minor mistakes when copying and renaming some of the details. I suspect Evard, for no particular reason other than that he likes black, rubbery, deadly, enervating themes in his magic.

The same thing happened to Alcimers Flying Fist, simply renamed Flying Fist. And Sword of Death seems to conveniently forget its 1E identity. And poor Snilloc, his spells have been pilfered into a whole specialty which never heard of him.

Mystra obviously isnt a reliable patent office, her thrice damned triple curse is so rarely enforced that most Realms fans havent a clue it exists. Give credit where credit is due.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  02:46:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely wasn't Eric. His stuff was all in Chapter 7 - Aumvor, Eltab and Soneillon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  03:51:42  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aumnivore eats ALL the lifes!

Sorry... I'm apparently weirder than usual today.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  15:14:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a related subject matter - did anyone ever try to untangle the 'temporal anomaly' that is the named spells from earlier editions?

You have Netherese using them (supposedly under different names) well before all those Greyhawk luminaries ever existed! How is it possible a spell was being used before it was invented? Now, we could take the easy route and say its a different world and there is a bit of 'convergent evolution' going-on, but the two worlds have had connections going way back. Think about it - technically, Elminster was (probably) walking around the Flaenes way before any of the Circle of eight were!

Hmmmmm... could it be his mission of 'spreading magic' takes him further afield then we had thought? Could it be possible that he (or more likely, other Chosen or Magisters) placed those spells within 'reach' of the GH persons that got credit for them?

We need answers, sammit!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Oct 2014 15:15:07
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  15:26:51  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As per usual when it comes to confusing Netherese lore, I blame Dale Henson (as did several designers).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  15:36:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simplest explanation is that the spells were developed multiple times, independently of each other.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  07:26:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go with Wooly on this one...magic being created, then lost...then created anew in another place. Each spell is what it is, the parts are likely always the same; but a new researcher may simply name his "new spell" for their ego.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  09:14:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very simple. Mordenkainen used a Time Conduit to go back to ancient Netheril on multiple occasions. Just like Laeral used one to study with the Seven Wizards in Myth Drannor and Elminster used one to send Storm and Dove as babies back there just prior to its fall.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000