Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Empire of the Sands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucifer_Drake
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  19:44:33  Show Profile Send Lucifer_Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since I'm looking to base my upcoming FR 5e D&D campaign based in a version of FR where the Avatar Crisis/Time of Troubles did not occur. Until I can find the 1e FR Empires of the Sands supplement I was wondering if anyone can give a basic run down Amn, Tethyr & Calimshan. Such as geography, overview on their cultures & political situation.

I own both the 2e & 3.x FR campaign guides, but they contradict each other. In 2e (& I assume 1e) FRC, these nations are referred to as Empires of the sands thus give the impression that Amn, Tethyr & Calimshan are largely desert realms. But nothing is said in the 2e FRC on their geography, thus my quandary.

Yet in 3.x FRC (& later 2e boxset Lands of intrigue, which covers Amn & Tethyr), they are referred Lands of Intrigue. In which Amn is described as a great plain & Tethyr a mix of plains & forests, while Calimshan is mostly a desert realm. Since I don't own the Empires of Shining Sea or Lands of Intrigue boxsets or 1e EotS sourcebook, so I cannot compare them to the 3.x & 2e FRC entries on these realms.

I want to keep the 1e feel of the Realms,I want to know how these realms were described in the EotS sourcebook. That way I can either use the 1e version or settle with how they are described in the 3.x FRC. Any help is appreciated.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  20:10:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Empires of the Shining Sea and Lands of Intrigue are both excellent products and do much to flesh out a unique character for each realm as well as adding much intrigue and lore to the regions.

If you can get hold of a copy of any of them it would be well worth retrofitting the information into pre TOT.

I am pretty sure Lands of Intrigue was available for free on the WoTC website so maybe there is a link still working for it somewhere.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  21:52:40  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The change between 1st and 2nd edition names reflects no change in content. While I'd never recommend not getting any of the old FR books, if you cannot find it you should be fine knowing that nothing substantial was removed. Here were the 1st E descriptions of geography so you can see it is the same:

"Amn is an open and fertile land, especially between the Cloud Peaks and the smaller mountain range (called the Small Teeth) to the south. This area is rolling and gentle, with four or five major rivers and scores of smaller streams crossing the land."

"Any discussion of Tethyr's geography must begin with the Forest of Tethir, the largest in the Empires of the Sands and one of the largest in all of the Forgotten Realms. The forest is thick and dark, made up of many different types of trees, most of them evergreen. There are numerous small lakes, spring-fed streams, pools, and waterfalls throughout the forest. It is a vibrant, living place, filled with game, birds, and creatures of all sizes and shapes.
The Forest extends onto the Tethyr Peninsula, all the way to the far western tip. It is said that pirates from the Nelanther cross Asavir's Channel and cut down their own timber for boats because it is easier than buying or pirating it. The peninsula is sparsely populated, except for the towns of Velen and Tulmage. There are a few hermits and other loners that have carved out a humble life on the peninsula, but they are few and far between."

"Calimshan is located on a great coastal plain in the southwest corner of the continent. It is very flat, much more so than either Amn or Tethyr. Unlike some other areas of the Forgotten Realms, there are no abrupt changes in geography in Calimshan; the terrain alters gradually, as if the landscape were painted with a very broad brush.

The single most important feature of Calimshan geography is the Calim Desert, which dominates the western half of the country. It is a flat, trackless waste where only the hardiest cactus
and desert flowers grow. The final leg of the great Trade Way road cuts directly across this desert on the way to Calimport. For traders from the north, the desert is a final challenge to a long, wearying journey; for those heading north, it is an early test."

Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Lucifer_Drake
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  21:33:32  Show Profile Send Lucifer_Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. That did help a lot The Masked Mage. Far more so than the non-descriptive 2e FRC entries. The whole "Empires of the Sands" region descriptor was confusing. I may buy the legal PDFs of both the Empires of the Shining Sea & Lands of Intrigue boxsets as soon as I can. As dazzlerdal mentioned I can retcon the ToT stuff out.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  02:39:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR3 is a great product from a nostalgic point of view, but the 2E boxed sets trump it in almost every department.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lucifer_Drake
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  20:52:56  Show Profile Send Lucifer_Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, if I can find used copies at a reasonable price as WotC doesn't have those box-sets on Dungeons and dragons classics yet. They do have EotS (FR3) though & frankly I'm not sure how much retconning I'd need to do to erase the ToT specific events from them. Plus one of the used sets I have seen online is short 11 of the included maps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000