Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Masked Lords of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gmdirewolfe
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  20:41:53  Show Profile Send Gmdirewolfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im sure i could find the answer to this question on my own, but i was wondering if anyone knows who the masked lords of Waterdeep are? I know they are anonymous inside at their meetings so that no one knows who it is that is suggesting whatever solutions etc to keep them from danger, but surely there is a list of the lords of Waterdeep, its just knowing which one is which, i think. And if this is a correct assumption, what is to stop someone from assassinating one of the lords of waterdeep and taking his place in a meeting, if they are all anonymous who would know?

Mod edit: Found this in the ethers, moved to a more appropriate spot.

GMDW

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Sep 2014 23:13:47

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:20:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know about the current era... But here's my compiled info on the Lords' roster, as of 1375ish.

Official Lords of Waterdeep, per City of Splendors: Waterdeep:

Brian the Swordmaster
NG human male Fighter 4/Expert 16

Caladorn Cassalanter
NG human male Fighter 13

Durnan “the Wanderer”
NG human male Fighter 18

Nindil Jalbuck
LN halfling male Thief 6/Expert 4
Note: Slain and subsumed by Hlaavin

Mirt the Moneylender
CG human male Fighter 8/Thief 5

Larissa Neathal
NG human female expert 10

Peirgeiron the Paladinson
LG human male Paladin 17 (Tyr)

Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun
LN human male Wizard 24/Archmage 3

Nymara “Kitten” Scheiron
NG human female Thief 12

Sammareza Sulphontis
N human male Expert 15

Texter
LG human male Paladin 20 (Tyr)

Kyriani Agrivar
N half-drow female Wizard 11/Moonstar Agent 3

Brianne Byndraeth
CG human female Sorcerer 12

Canon but not listed in City of Splendors: Waterdeep:

Asper
CG human female Sorcerer 1/Fighter 8
Source: Realms of the Underdark

Deliah the White
human female wizard, alignment and level unknown
Source: The Siege

And my own, non-canon creations, four of which I wrote up for the Candlekeep Compendium (see the links in my sig):

Ralser Kepp
CG human male Thief 14

Aerys Vellimar
NG female water genasi Thief 3/Fighter 8

Sierkan Dahl
LG human male Fighter 3/Psionicist 12

Terielle Nashirn
CG human female werecat Thief 4/Priest of Selūne 4/Silverstar 6

Taethen Caliel/Elios Bivaehl
NG human male (one-quarter elf) Fighter 12
Note: Replaced Deliah the White, took over looking after Waterdhavian elves

Eolann Westril
human male fighter, alignment and level unknown
Note: Formerly a respected swordcaptain of the Watch, now working as a farmer in Goldenfields after his mind was psionically damaged by Valson Halfmoon. (See Sierkan Dahl)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:21:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the Lords all know each other. So they'd know if one of their number was killed and replaced by some random yahoo. It can be done, though, as is proven by Hlaavin the greater doppelganger having replaced Nindal Jalbuck.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:23:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And lists of the Lords are in just about every Waterdeep sourcebook. As far as Waterdhavians know, there are 16 Lords, but the number was secretly expanded to 20 after the events of Elfsong.

No sourcebook has ever had a complete list; there have always been empty slots left for DMs to fill with their own NPCs -- like I did with the ones I created.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:59:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple questions, if I may, Wooly...

Under the Eolann Westril entry it says (see Sierkan Dahl) what's the connection?

Terrielle Nashirn, werecat, like a domestic cat? Source? And Silverstar? I would be interested in any more you have about this character.

And Aerys Vellimar, sound interesting, too. What else ya got?

I do have the Compendiums on another drive, but don't think I can unzip them on my tablet.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 06 Sep 2014 00:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  01:05:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unable to wait for your reply, Wooly, I was able to grab and transfer the files I wanted. I must say, I am impressed. I particularly love the way you weave your Spelljammer knowledge into and through the Realms (Aerys, Warforged...what else you got, Hamster?). I encourage any SJ or FR fans out there to look into it.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  04:24:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I included this detail about Aerys: she and Jazrik also have an offshore home, a couple miles off the coast, on the seafloor. It's an old turtleship that they parked, covered with coral, and made into a home.

As my username indicates, Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings. I'm happy to include Spelljammer elements wherever I can.

I'm also a huge fan of Waterdeep and its government, which I refer to as a cryptocracy. It's a fascinating setup, thinks I.

And I'm glad that you like my stuff.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Sep 2014 04:25:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  08:33:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hitherto unknown Lord of Waterdeep was revealed at the GENCON Candlekeep Seminar although this may or may not have been obvious to the attendees given it was mentioned in a "Waterdeep" short story read out to them by Ed. This now dead Lord of Waterdeep was at the time of the Harper Schism was Velstrode the Venturer. Brownie points for anyone who can find a reference to him in the sources.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Sep 2014 15:58:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  13:38:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A hitherto unknown Lord of Waterdeep was revealed at the GENCON Candlekeep Seminar although this may or may not have been obvious to the attendees given it was mentioned in a "Waterdeep" short story read out to them by Ed. This now dead Lord of Waterdeep as at the time of the Harper Schism was Velstrode the Venturer. Brownie points for anyone who can find a reference to him in the sources.

-- George Krashos

His house/shop is on several of the maps of Waterdeep, and thus noted in those sources... All I can find on a quick search, though, is a brief blurb in Waterdeep & The North.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  21:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A hitherto unknown Lord of Waterdeep was revealed at the GENCON Candlekeep Seminar although this may or may not have been obvious to the attendees given it was mentioned in a "Waterdeep" short story read out to them by Ed. This now dead Lord of Waterdeep was at the time of the Harper Schism was Velstrode the Venturer. Brownie points for anyone who can find a reference to him in the sources.

-- George Krashos

Opening up my City of Splendors boxed set. Velstrode the Venturer resides in Castle ward; location C28 to be exact.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  01:07:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already gone and asked Ed for more info about Velstrode, since a quick search of the 3E book and the 2E boxed set just listed the map location.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  01:11:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From page 23 of Waterdeep and the North:

quote:
House of Velstrode the Venturer (an adventurer of note, and a successful merchant; tall, bearded, and loaded down with defensive
magic, CN 15th level fighter, ST18/96, IN 17, DEX 16)

Ah, the days of the short stats...

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  01:26:50  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name sounds familiar - like it should be more prominent somewhere then the references noted here but I can't place it.

In the old maps his place was 25, the later ones C28 as above.

Wooly's "blurb" is this:

House of Velstrode the Venturer (an adventurer of note, and a successful merchant; tall,
bearded, and loaded down with defensive magic, CN 15th level fighter, ST18/96, IN 17,
DEX 16)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  01:26:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly wins for getting the stats. Waterdeep and the North - what an amazing mouse print product that was ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  01:31:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to type faster Wooly :P
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  04:08:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I need to type faster Wooly :P

It helps to cut and paste from the pdf. That was one of the ones I bought back before the pdf purge -- the Waterdeep stuff was among my first pdf purchases.

Though it was Kuje's NPC file that directed me to the right source. Google did not net anything other than the house location.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  16:49:45  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"CG Female human werecatLE rogue 4/priest 4 of Selūne/SilverstarFP 6"

Wooly, I revisited this article recently and still wonder about a few details. I think that werecat is a HB of yours, what does the LE (Lost Empires?) footnote reference? Also it says that other than her size she appears a normal domestic cat while in animal form. How large? A slender girl barely topping 5 foot is about a hundred pounds, I figure. That is still quite a large cat. Also, the footnote FP attached to Silverstar. Is that Faiths and Pantheons? Some sort of specialty priest/ess? And finally, the Knights of the Half-Moon, more HB?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  17:01:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

"CG Female human werecatLE rogue 4/priest 4 of Selūne/SilverstarFP 6"

Wooly, I revisited this article recently and still wonder about a few details. I think that werecat is a HB of yours, what does the LE (Lost Empires?) footnote reference? Also it says that other than her size she appears a normal domestic cat while in animal form. How large? A slender girl barely topping 5 foot is about a hundred pounds, I figure. That is still quite a large cat. Also, the footnote FP attached to Silverstar. Is that Faiths and Pantheons? Some sort of specialty priest/ess? And finally, the Knights of the Half-Moon, more HB?

LE should be Lost Empires of Faerūn; I believe werecats became canon in that source (I'm away from my books and cannot confirm). If not, they were also detailed in the first volume of Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa; the Knights of the Half Moon are from the same source.

FP is Faiths & Pantheons; the Silverstar is a type of specialty priest of Selūne.

I figure her size, while in cat flavor, would likely be similar to a panther.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  17:29:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, one to two-hundred pounds? Males potentially doubling that? I'll check the Realms Beastly. Thanks, Woolish

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  16:01:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think werecats are first described in the 2e Powers & Pantheons entry for the Temple of Selūne in Waterdeep, along with the history of Feluna, a werecat priestess. IIRC, in animal form they are the size of a regular cat.

EDIT: I've checked the P&P entry, and in "Size" you can find:
SZ T (2 feet tall; cat) or S (3-4 feet tall hybrid) or M (as human form)

Besides, on "Notes" it says:
(...) They can assume a human, hybrid feline/humanoid, or cat (wild small cat) form.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 10 Oct 2014 16:16:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  18:03:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, it seems a bit wrong to me that 100 pounds of human girl becomes 5 pounds of cat. That's why I prefer the idea that she (and other werecats) would become panthers or other great cats, not housecats.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  18:06:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

See, it seems a bit wrong to me that 100 pounds of human girl becomes 5 pounds of cat. That's why I prefer the idea that she (and other werecats) would become panthers or other great cats, not housecats.

My motivation was so that werecats could slink around Waterdeep in plain sight. You never know whether an alley cat is just an alley cat or something far more dangerous.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  18:36:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also one should remember polymorth did allow for size change "within one size category of your normal size" if one infers that human form is Medium, it is only one step to Small (which is hybrid feline/humanoid) one further step to Tiny. In effect just two polymorth effects. Just require two rounds and all works under 3rd Edition.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  19:22:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

My motivation was so that werecats could slink around Waterdeep in plain sight. You never know whether an alley cat is just an alley cat or something far more dangerous.

--Eric

Fair enough.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  19:53:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with Wooly, here though I understand the reasoning behind their housecat animal aspect, it makes me wonder about their hybrid form as well. Would that not be reduced in size as well? That would certainly make them a lot less intimidating.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree with Wooly, here though I understand the reasoning behind their housecat animal aspect, it makes me wonder about their hybrid form as well. Would that not be reduced in size as well? That would certainly make them a lot less intimidating.

Let's put it this way, werefelines probably includes everything from were-housecats to were-bobcats to weretigers. So, build what you want. :-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  08:16:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually do. Just fishing for information. Thanks for clarifying. I meant no disrespect.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Oct 2014 08:18:06
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  11:05:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I usually do. Just fishing for information. Thanks for clarifying. I meant no disrespect.

Oh no worries. I didn't take it that way at all.

What I was trying to say is that werefelines include everything from werecats (who favor cities) to were-bobcats, were-tigers, and were-mountain lions, who favor wilderness areas. Basically, based on the size of their animal form, they will be more welcome in cities or wilderness areas, and therefore gravitate there.

--
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000