Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Highmoon Reconceived
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  00:34:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've hit upon the idea of taking the little town of Highmoon and turning it into a city.

Since 2nd Ed. there have been numerous drastic changes in the region which would lead to many many refugees, largely as a result of the return of shade: the destruction of Tilverton, the dragon-rages, the war with the Shades/demons/Zhents, the destruction of Ordulin, the re-destruction of Myth Drannor, etc.

In my mind all these refugees need to find some place to go. Many of the people running from all of this destruction would come first to Highmoon. I'm thinking even if only about 1/4 to 1/3 decided to take shelter there that would be around 50,000 people. To accommodate these kinds of numbers the town would obviously become significantly larger.

Also it would have quickly become obvious that strong defense was needed, so walls would be built up at least. I'm also thinking a military develops out of the surviving fighters of the fallen locations, eventually including an aerial corps - griffons or pegasi perhaps - to counter veserab attacks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Suggestions? Obvious holes in my thought process I'm missing :D?

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  07:49:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FRCS mentions that plans to build walls for Highmoon are underway. I don't know how the residents would react to refugees basically overrunning the place (it's population is listed as 3,505), but I wonder if this isn't one of those instances where a wall is built, then refugees show up so a new wall is built, then more refugees show up so another wall is built...and so on for a few more iterations, each related to one of the events you mentioned above.

So I'm imagining irregular, not quite ringlike shapes expanding outward from Highmoon's first wall, the space between each ring housing refugees who've slowly built homes, businesses and what have you, and these walls lead to social stratification and perhaps militias or a city watch that's unique to the residents of within each ring.

This way you can develop and flavor each area based on where the residents of that area came from.

Granted Highmoon would start out as listed in the FRCS, i.e. the second-most integrated human, elven and half-elven settlement in the Realms (after Silverymoon), but the wash of bodies may well isolate the more socially integrated elves, humans and their offspring towards the center of what is now a much larger, and perhaps overall less tolerant, city.

Anyway, great thread! I haven't thought about expanding a city like this in...well, I can't remember when, and this is fun to think about.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Aug 2014 07:53:04
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2014 :  04:07:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is an awesome idea too.

I like Jeremy's idea; and would add one additional thing to it:

With any wave of refugee people, you will often find that malcontents float to the surface and try to take control. You may want to add elements of criminal organizations that have sprung up into new preeminence in your new city.

This idea is a really great one. I think you have hit on a solid idea that could cause many adventure opportunities.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2014 :  04:51:21  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see a larger city with a wall, and a kind of no man's land / tent city on the outskirts too. I think the Dales are going to have lots of riff raff running around after the siege of Myth Drannor with all the leftover mercs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000