Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question about the god's first appearance.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Passiflora
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  00:11:36  Show Profile Send Passiflora a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone.

I've been looking all over the place recenty to find a list of dates, history, about the forgotten realm's gods appearance.

I'd particulary like to know when the god "Red Knight" was first elevated to godhood by Tempus.

Sadly I found nothing for now, but I do hope one of the scribes here know something about it. :o

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  00:24:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well all I can find it was some time before the Time of Troubles,
quote:
During the Time of Troubles, the Red Knight's avatar possessed Lady Kaitlyn Tindall Bloodhawk.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Passiflora
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  00:44:54  Show Profile Send Passiflora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also found this. I'm currently in a setting which is in 1349 DR, so, quite a few years before the time of troubles. I'm wondering if the goddess exists yet, or if she's still mortal.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  00:48:43  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If she had an avatar during the ToT, then it means that she became a goddess before the event. I don't know how many years before it, tho.

Anyway, if you wish her in your game as a deity, then I suggest you to not let canon be a limiting factor and simply include her.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  00:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Knight ascended sometime during or shortly after the Time of Trouble. See The Grand History of the Realms page 143.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  01:18:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Red Knight ascended sometime during or shortly after the Time of Trouble. See The Grand History of the Realms page 143.

Logic does not compute, if had avatar during Time of Trouble certainly existed then. It appears unlikely during the time of Troubles that Tempus could have granted divinity to anyone. Only clerics within one mile of avatar could cast divine spells. Also not the best time to make a deity.

There again logic does not always apply to fantasy.

We sometimes in the past have learned names of deities recently that are older then time.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  05:42:04  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* Powers & Pantheons, "During the night of the Fall of the Gods", the Red Knight possessed the Lady Bloodhawk to serve as her avatar host; During the TOT she was active in Tethyr.

Only since the TOT has a priesthood arisen in her name, which is why there are so few shrines dedicated to her; Only in recent memory has she arisen as an independent demipower; Some speculate that Tempus sponsored her rise to demipower.

* Faiths and Avatars, "In recent years" Tempus sponsored her into godhood.

---

* TGHOTR, the Red Knight was still a "woman" and one of many "heroes" during the TOT, and was active in Tethyr during the TOT; because of this, "she received the ultimate reward".

---

It sounds almost as if, after the Red Knight's involvement in Tethyr was retroactively made known, some Realmsians have begun to blur the lines between Lady Bloodhawk and the Red Knight, effectively forgetting or omitting that Lady Bloodhawk was ever there at all.

It's odd, then, that the passage in TGHOTR both celebrates the Red Knight's importance in Tethyr and yet simultaneously says that she doesn't get enough credit from people for her involvement there. If the Red Knight, she don't get no respect, no respect, I tell ya...then it would seem that the Lady Bloodhawk should have been given most of the credit in the passage. But for the Lady Bloodhawk to not even be mentioned in the passage once, would seem to indicate that the Red Knight was getting everything she had coming to her and more.

---

At any rate, if Tempus promoted the Red Knight in any way for the purposes of actively helping humans in warfare, then this might've been one more reason why Ao banished all the gods during the TOT.

If this theory is correct, then it would make the most sense if the Red Knight's promotion had taken place right before the TOT. Proximity of the punishment to the offense is the most rational and fitting.

Plus, multiple sources do incidate that her rise to godhood did take place only in recent years (relative to late 2E).

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 16 Jul 2014 05:43:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000