Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your Top 10 Favorite Realms Authors?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  19:23:28  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The multi-author goodness that was The Sundering novels got me thinking about Realms authors past and present, those I would like to see return, and those I just want more of! I am curious who everybody else's favorites are.

In no particular order, my Top 10 favorites are:

1. Ed Greenwood (duh, he created the gosh darn thing!)

2. Bob Salvatore (The Crystal Shard was the first Realms book I read, at sleepaway camp when I was just a wee lad of 11 summers, and that whirling, scimitar-wielding dark elf captured my imagination)

3. James Lowder (I don't care what people say about gods having too much of a direct role in the Realms, Prince of Lies was one of the best reads ever! Bring Jim back to the Realms!)

4. Paul Kemp (I actually started reading his Erevis Cale stuff in preparation for The Sundering, and I don't think anyone handles Netheril and the forces of Shar better than him)

5. Troy Denning (I confess that my favorite work of his is actually Dark Sun, but he ably picked up where Jim Lowder left off with Cyric, and really set the stage for much of the current goings-on in the Realms with Return of the Archwizards. Plus, Malik continues to be a hoot as evidenced in The Sentinel)

6. Erin Evans (Erin is another author I got into by way of preparing for The Sundering, and she has really won me over with her portrayal of Farideh, Havilar, and their companions. Her work is clearly part of the Realms, but like Bob Salvatore, it feels like she has carved out her own distinct niche)

7. Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak (As far as Realms trilogies go, nothing beats the Finder's Stone Trilogy. Like Jim Lowder, Jeff and Kate are authors that WOTC really NEEDS to bring back to the Realms)

8. Steven Schend (Blackstaff. 'Nuff said.)

9. Elaine Cunningham (I would say "Songs & Swords, 'nuff said" but I also really like her Liriel Baenre books)

10. Richard Lee Byers (chiefly for his creation of Pharaun Mizzrym, one of my favorite drow characters. Honorable mention has to go to the other War of the Spider Queen authors, particularly Lisa Smedman and Thomas Reid, who ably picked up the WOSQ threads in their own trilogies).

I also want to mention one author I have not read yet but have heard a lot of good things about; Erik Scott De Bie. I am hoping WOTC will start releasing his e-books in print.

So who are your Top 10?

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  00:52:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1.Jaleigh Johnson
2. Erin M. Evans
3. Veronica Whiteny-Robinson
4. Elaine Cunningham
5. Troy Denning
6. Ricard Lee Byers
7. Thomas M. Reid
8. Erik Scott De Brie
9. Paul S. Kemp
10. Douglas Niles

Edited by - Gyor on 14 Jul 2014 01:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  01:25:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of Great Authors did not make the list, but it doesn't mean I didn't love thier novels.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  05:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with all of the great ones you mentioned but in particular James Lowder and Douglas Niles. The Ring of Winter and the Moonshae Trilogies were literally the first books I ever read that were not assigned through school.

I'd like RA to stop writing novels now because one day he is going to have to kill off one of my favorite characters, and I don't know if I'll be able to handle that...again :-)

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  21:53:12  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Lee Byers: I would pay to read his laundry list.
R. A. Salvatore: I forgot how to spell his name, but this guy is so good you can type "drow Sa.." and Google pops his name right up as an option.

I am just going with novels. Authors of source books are more dear to me, but let's not derail the thread.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  00:27:48  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read & Liked:
Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, Doug Niles, Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, Bob Salvatore, Troy Denning, James Lowder. Also Erin Evans.
I caveat. I actually like Ed's sourcebooks alot more than his novels but that is colored somewhat by my memories of Spellfire.
I like Salvatore but I am sick to death of Drizzt so that qualifier as well.

Still to Read:
Erik Scott de Bie, Paul Kemp, Richard Lee Byers, Jaleigh Johnson.
I see Mel Odom and Lynn Abbey wrote some Realms books. I normally like both of them so I'd like to track down those books to read.

Edited by - hobbitfan on 15 Jul 2014 00:28:51
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  05:52:00  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no particular order:
RAS
Elaine Cunningham (really miss her work)
Erin M. Evans (my new #1 Realms author)
Jeff Grubb (wish he would be brought back into the fold)
Lisa Smedman (needs to be contracted more often)
Ed Greenwood

Others are very touch and go with me (and really Ed falls into that category where his novels are concerned...but he created the setting and has written sourcebooks that just make me drop to my knees and worship at his atler lol).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  12:23:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is Elaine Cunningham, but I also like Douglas Niles and Bob Salvatore.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  12:59:19  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a difficult question! My list:

1) Elaine Cunningham
I love all of her work that I've read. Possibly my favourite is Evermeet; its Tolkienesque in its scope & ambition. Also love the Starlight & Shadows trilogy.

2) Erik Scott de Bie
The Shadowbane series is fantastic. Can't wait for more, especially if it includes more 'Light!

3) Richard Baker
Especially The Last Mythal series, and Condemnation.

4) Ed Greenwood
'Nuff said. I especially enjoyed The Sage of Shadowdale series, and now The Herald.

5) Troy Denning
I loved the Return of the Archwizards series (I know there are lots of haters here!)

6) Douglas Niles
The Moonshae trilogies were some of the first Realms books I read; I've re-read them many times, and the setting is one of my favourites.

7) Lisa Smedman
I enjoyed the Lady Penitent series (although I hated the ending); but she's a great writer, and brings characters vividly to life.

8) Erin M. Evans
I've only read The Adversary, but thought it was very well done.

9) RA Salvatore
To tell the truth, I wouldn't have been too sad if Drizzt & the rest of the CotH bunch didn't get reincarnated (or whatever it was). They had a good run, but I got a bit fed up with Drizzt's navel-gazing. Bob's a brilliant writer, but I prefer some of the incidental characters (especially Innovindil, Dahlia & Entreri).

I've enjoyed almost all of the FR novels that I've bought; some I re-read more than others.
The only one I regret buying was Rose of Sarifal by Paulina Claiborne. That was just terrible.

Edited by - BenN on 15 Jul 2014 13:01:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000