Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ranger Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  19:35:21  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can rangers follow any deity? Or only nature deities?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  19:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're mostly restricted to nature deities. Check Faiths and Avatars for certain; that book along with Powers and Pantheons breaks down what kinds of classes are in each god's clergy.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  19:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3E FRCS, with its penchant for 'everyone can do anything', says 'Rangers and druids have similar preferences for deities, although some rangers with odd interests (such as hunting undead) choose different patrons.' But in the core Realms conception, rangers are basically specialty priests of Mielikki and Gwaeron Windstrom, or rarely Shaundakul, and that's what I'd stick to.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  20:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked F&A (hey, I was bored). Here are the deities that include rangers as part of their clergy:

Mielikki
Shaundakul

Fewer than I thought. Expanding it to Powers and Pantheons and Demihuman Deities gets us:

Gwaeron Windstrom

Though on second thought, this is a bit more restrictive than it ought to be. For instance, Aerdrie Faenya has a militant order of rangers and crusaders called the Plumed Kingfishers, but does not have rangers technically as part of the clergy.

So basically, if there's a goodly deity that you think makes sense to have rangers, then they can have rangers. They just wouldn't have any standing in the clerical hierarchy.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  20:16:09  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, there are ranger followers of Mystra in F&A.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  22:05:52  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well can any deity grant spells to a ranger follower of his or hers?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  22:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
F&A does mention 'a small order of rangers', who 'receive their spells from Mystra'. If I allowed such a character I'd make a custom spell list, replacing some of the more druidic sorts of plant and animal spells.

It's not plausible in Realmslore that most gods would have rangers or grant them spells. Again, the vast majority of rangers serve Mielikki -- anything else I'd handle case-by-case.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  00:08:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would expand that list to include Mielikki, Shaundakul, Silvanus, Gwaeron Windstrom, Selune for sure, possibly Eldath, possibly Lurue, and definitely Malar.

I could also see on the Moonshaes there being rangers of the "Earthmother".
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  01:18:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee also had Rangers in F&P http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20020503a
quote:
Eilistraee's clerics often multiclass as fighters, bards, rangers, or sword dancers (see Chapter 4).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  06:10:40  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, most of the elven deities have rangers as followers, especially Fenmarel Mestarine, Shevarash, and Solonor Thelandira.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  07:09:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helm had ranger followers iirc.....

the thing is, that hte 3.x stuff stated that rangers had to chose natures deities to receive spells......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  09:19:10  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things change depending on what book you reference.

In the Old Gray Box, while Mielikki was the only listed "typical" god of rangers (who all had to be good-aligned in 1e), there was no specific requirement that non-clerics follow any deity in general or specific (Cyclopedia of the Realms, p.18).

In the second edition boxed set, rangers are mentioned in the clergy sections for Mystra and Mielikki.

In Faiths & Avatars (which was second edition, and rangers still had to be good), it says under the Mielikki entry, "Most rangers venerate Mielikki as their deity, though some venerate Silvanus, Eldath, Chauntea, Shaundakul, Mystra, or other deities", though only Mielikki and Shaundakul had them listed as clergy (and only Mystra of the non-clergy deities had her own affiliated ranger order). Powers & Pantheons adds Gwaeron Windstrom and Osiris as gods with ranger clergy (and Lurue's affiliated order is based on a group that had rangers). Demihuman Deities has Shevarash and Solonor Thelandira having ranger clergy, and Aerdrie Faenya, Deep Sashelas, Hanali Celanil, Rillifane Rallathil, and Sehanine Moonbow as having rangers in their affiliated orders.

In F&P there was a "Complete Nature Deity List" on p.90, and the box said that "Druids and rangers must select one of these deities as a patron". The list was Aerdrie Faenya, Angharradh, Anhur, Auril, Baervan Wildwanderer, Chauntea, Deep Sashelas, Eldath, Fenmarel Mestarine, Gwaeron Windstrom, Hiatea, Isis, Lurue, Malar, Mielikki, Nobanion, Osiris, Rillifane Rallathil, Sebek, Segojan Earthcaller, Sekolah, Sheela Peryroyl, Shiallia, Silvanus, Solonor Thelandira, Stronmaus, Talona, Talos, Thard Harr, Ubato, Ulutiu, and Umberlee. Despite not being listed in this box, though, it is called out in the deity entries that clerics of Elistraee, Kelemvor, Shaundakul, Uthgar, Akadi, Shevarash and Arvoreen multiclass as rangers. Similarly, Mystra's entry mentions her order of rangers, and there might be some other references I'm missing.

So, as you can see, the lore is varied and mutually contradictory.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  13:58:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that the restrictions were only on what deities druids and paladins could worship, not rangers, guess I was wrong.

Of course in 4e that changed, niether Rangers nor Druids had access to divine magic so there was no requirement to worship anything, and in fact many, but not all, Druids got thier power from the Primal Spirits, and until essentials Rangers had no magic, and after essentials the little magic they had was primal not divine. In 5e it could change again, although we know that both Rangers and Druids are divine casters again, but I doubt any druids or Shamans that gained thier powers through Primal Spirits will lose thier powers because they don't worship a God. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  19:34:20  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do wish they'd separate the divine casting from Rangers altogether. The divine-theme so prevalent for the Ranger class is....out of place from my perspective. They never struck me as really needing that at all, which is probably why whenever I found optional Ranger variants that removed the whole spellcasting bollocks, I always went with those (the Skirmisher archetype for the Ranger in Pathfinder RPG strikes me as what the default Ranger should be like, with the divine-inspired ones as the optional variants).

That's just me though.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  03:45:13  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I do wish they'd separate the divine casting from Rangers altogether. The divine-theme so prevalent for the Ranger class is....out of place from my perspective. They never struck me as really needing that at all, which is probably why whenever I found optional Ranger variants that removed the whole spellcasting bollocks, I always went with those (the Skirmisher archetype for the Ranger in Pathfinder RPG strikes me as what the default Ranger should be like, with the divine-inspired ones as the optional variants).

That's just me though.

Oh, no, it's not just you.

Speaking as a RW atheist, it does seem odd to me that someone who communes so closely with nature and learns the wondrous awe of the natural world would feel any need to supplement it or muck it up with the supernatural at all.

It's like someone who is born and raised a Ford man, who saw his father drive a Ford every day of his childhood, and who salvaged a Ford for his own first car, and who bought nothing but Fords for most of his life, but suddenly decides to put a Chevy engine in his Ford pickup one day. It just seems jarring and glaring to me.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  05:59:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's just me though.

THIS. I love the Ranger class, but most of the time I ask the DM to forego the spellcasting and give me something else (or give nothing at all as I just don't like rangers with clerical abilities).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  06:22:30  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the Ranger spellcasting ability is somewhat jarring. It would be much better, IMHO, if they have more enhanced abilities in other areas, reflecting the Ranger's ties to the natural world. For example, healing abilities based on local plant lore, not granted by some god (also, self-sufficient skills like this are presumably an absolute necessity if you're alone, trying to survive in the wild).
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  07:56:54  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, like a US Army RANGER. Wilderness survival commandos. Know your local terrain like the back of your hand, and be able to live off that land comfortably so you can fight there much more effectively than any visitors/invaders. Be an expert on all the area's flora/fauna. And handle your chosen weapon like nobody's business.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  21:51:46  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:

That's just me though.

THIS. I love the Ranger class, but most of the time I ask the DM to forego the spellcasting and give me something else (or give nothing at all as I just don't like rangers with clerical abilities).

Also the Trapper Archetype is especially good as it gives rangers Disable Device as a class skill and removes access to divine spells. It's an excellent way to get all the great combat skills of a Ranger with most of the good rogue skills (Disable Device, Stealth, etc).
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  18:14:20  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember, in 3.5, you have the option of playing a lot of quasi-Ranger archetypes. One of the wonderful aspects of 3.5 play was having a vast multitude of alternate-structure and optimization game mechanics to simulate other classes and PrCs.

For example, the Scout class is basically the Ranger without spells. The Wilderness Rogue (UA) and Shapeshifting Ranger (UA also) are non-spellcasting Rangers as well. The Factotum could also simulate a Ranger with some tweaking.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  19:39:07  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plenty of quasi-Ranger archetypes to be had in Pathfinder as well. A favourite of mine is a Rogue using the Scout and Sniper archetypes. My PCs were stalked by one of these guys (the BBEG's premiere assassin). They did finally manage to root him out and kill him, but they took a massive beating to do it.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  07:02:38  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder also has the Skirmisher, a Ranger archetype that gives up use of the class's spells in exchange for hunter's tricks (basically, the ranger equivalent of rogue talents).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000