Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e Tiefling Preview released.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  03:14:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The have released the 5e Tiefling over twitter, in fluff its basically the 4e Tiefling, but kechanically its a mix of 4e and previous. Tieflings have fire resistance and +2 Charisma like in 4e, but spells like previously including the traditional darkness spell, but now also Hellrebuke as well and interestingly the Thaumaturgy cantrip which means Miracle Worker in greek and is often used in reference saints. I have broached Erin M Evans on twitter about this. Also she is quoted in the entery which is cool.

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  04:30:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
link please.... my twitter keeps having its password forgotten and I get tired of resetting it

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  04:33:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ne'er mind

http://i.imgur.com/nkugHwd.jpg

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  05:32:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Shemmy observed earlier, it is disappointing that they went with the 4E version of the tiefling, instead of the far more interesting (and varied!) tieflings of 2E and 3E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  05:36:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought was that they could have actually catered to both types of Tieflings. They have numerous sub-races listed for elves and dwarves, so mentioning that some Tieflings result from a manifestation of an ancestral pact with devils, and other result from a mixed bloodline of humans with demons, devils, or other fiends would have served the purpose well enough without negating any particular version of Tieflings over the years, but I guess you can't have everything.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  06:09:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

They have numerous sub-races listed for elves and dwarves, so mentioning that some Tieflings result from a manifestation of an ancestral pact with devils (snip)
Perhaps these variants will find their way into the 5E Players' Handbook II.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  06:14:56  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

They have numerous sub-races listed for elves and dwarves, so mentioning that some Tieflings result from a manifestation of an ancestral pact with devils (snip)
Perhaps these variants will find their way into the 5E Players' Handbook II.

I certainly hope so. I always liked 2e-3e tieflings because of all the variations that existed.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  06:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm disappointed in them.

After years of complaints that the 4e tiefling was too radically different from the 2e and 3e tiefling, and after telling people that they wanted to embrace and respect D&D's rich history and worlds in 5e, they had the opportunity to rectify the situation with tieflings. They could have easily, -easily- presented a race that allowed both 2e/3e tieflings and 4e tieflings to both exist. But they gave us 4e tieflings mk2, doubling down on their being explicitly devil-blooded only despite that being a 4e thing only and something that radically clashed with what tieflings were in 2e/3e (and still are in PF). So much for the hallmark diversity of heritage and appearance in the classic tiefling.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

Hopefully they'll explain the reasoning here, because even if they present 2e/3e style classic tieflings as an option later on, there's no good reason to have not included them in the PHB when they're presenting elf subraces. Someone dropped the ball on this. Badly.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 12 Jul 2014 06:56:10
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  07:07:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and I dont see why people like the legends look anyway.....

sides 4e trashling sticks out too much

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  13:22:29  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not like neither Tieflings nor Dragonborn!!! Is this mean that on 5th edition the cities of Faerun will have a lot of these mostrous races...I mean you see a Dragonborn and tiefling on the street of a city and you say: -Ok ..this is an ordinary meeting!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As Shemmy observed earlier, it is disappointing that they went with the 4E version of the tiefling, instead of the far more interesting (and varied!) tieflings of 2E and 3E.

I agree with Wooly

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 12 Jul 2014 13:24:07
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  14:05:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Tiefling will be under the Planetouched race, not the 4e Tiefling I believe, which will have aasimar as well as part of the Planetouched race. That's way the 2e/3e Tiefling wasn't included in this tiefling, although you can see the influence on the 5e Tiefling with its access to the Darkness spells at 5th level.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  14:43:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Tiefling will be under the Planetouched race, not the 4e Tiefling I believe, which will have aasimar as well as part of the Planetouched race. That's way the 2e/3e Tiefling wasn't included in this tiefling, although you can see the influence on the 5e Tiefling with its access to the Darkness spells at 5th level.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  15:07:21  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there are two methods to Tiefling Customizing.

With 2-3.5 edition we had a Build-a-Bear method, where you took options from here and there and merged them into one Tiefling.

With 4 edition, you had one standard Tiefling.

I am not sure with 5 edition, but it's possible they are looking for a Pimp-My-Ride model. You have the 4 edition Standard, then you can select add-on like bloodlines traits to link to certain fiends or dark gods (Which could be used to make money).

But as I said, we are way too earlier to see...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  18:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the use of the Erin Evans quotation. Don't like 'a tiefling's bloodline doesn't affect his or her personality to any great degree', compared to Races of Faerûn's 'Carrying the taint of evil in their very souls'. Fiendish blood just gives you a cool tail, special powers and a platform for 'poor persecuted me' roleplaying?
Go to Top of Page

fylth
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  20:40:31  Show Profile  Visit fylth's Homepage Send fylth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings fellow scribes.

I like it. To be honest my group hardly ever rolls a human, gnome, dwarf etc. They like to play drow/orcs/tieflings and such, 'evil' races. They don't generally walk out in the open or flaunt their heritage, and I have no problem with that, they are usually smart enough to stay out of trouble, but at the same time be able to interact enough so that they can continue their quests. And I think playing an 'evil' or 'mistrusted' race makes the game a lot more fun and gets people thinking a little sideways.

Currently the group is thus: a tiefling, an orc and an eladrin. They also occasionally travel with a drow elf.When they interact with people it's usually the tiefling who chats with folks. He is able to use his unique appearance and his wizardly grace to make people feel less threatened. It's something he has worked hard to do and is proud of it. The eladrin is a heartless rogue who can only woo the ladies. HA. And the orc just looks like a hired goon. He learned a long time ago to shut his mouth in public, as he isn't the best speaker and cannot convey his ideas properly and normally resorts to threats and violence.

When you play a race that most do not trust/ hardly ever see with heir own eyes, you can have quite interesting stories with the interactions you have with NPC's.

And that is Fylth's two copper. :)

Edited by - fylth on 12 Jul 2014 20:42:51
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2014 :  23:37:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like choices...I'm also rather 'old school' when it comes to my DnD. I don't care for the devil-only version of tiefling and I'm not fond of the dragonborn either. In fact, the proliferation of 'unusual' races is rather tiring. I like for those races (all of them) to be options available for the players. But having all of them just show up the way they have over the years is poor development IMO.

Today we have drow all over the surface, strange tieflings sort of showing up everywhere, a brand new dragonborn race popped in over night, ancient Imaskari etc etc etc. As fylth just pointed out, he has a group that plays non-standard races all the time. That's just not my cup of tea. I like playing such races from time to time, but entire groups of them is a little unrealistic.

Tieflings should have gone back to the 2e/3e version with the 4e version being a special version (with a unique genesis).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  00:01:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I like choices...I'm also rather 'old school' when it comes to my DnD. I don't care for the devil-only version of tiefling and I'm not fond of the dragonborn either. In fact, the proliferation of 'unusual' races is rather tiring. I like for those races (all of them) to be options available for the players. But having all of them just show up the way they have over the years is poor development IMO.

Today we have drow all over the surface, strange tieflings sort of showing up everywhere, a brand new dragonborn race popped in over night, ancient Imaskari etc etc etc. As fylth just pointed out, he has a group that plays non-standard races all the time. That's just not my cup of tea. I like playing such races from time to time, but entire groups of them is a little unrealistic.

Tieflings should have gone back to the 2e/3e version with the 4e version being a special version (with a unique genesis).

Isn't this matter something that should be handled game by game, or table by table? In the lore those races are (or should be) very exotic, but for this reason they tend to attract many players, no matter how rare they officially are. It should be up to the DM/players to discuss whether such a character is fitting/appropriate/cool for the campaign they want to play, however the options for all kinds of game should be there. When it comes to the tiefling, it appears that WotC has done just that, including the 2-3e version under the 'Planetouched' race (after all they did say that 5e was going to be about inclusiveness).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Jul 2014 00:05:38
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  01:36:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said earlier that I was disappointed, but its one disappointment, and one only viewed from the perspective of a single preview. Thus far I've been pretty happy, not just with the Realms references in the Basic PDF, but with the references to a lot of the settings native to D&D. I have said it elsewhere, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Regarding "strange" adventuring parties, i.e. made up of many exotic species rarely seen--it all depends. In Waterdeep or Silverymoon? Not that far out of the thematically appropriate. In the Dales or Cormyr? That's going to take a lot more explanation in my mind, but that's the thing. If you handwave the wierdness in the party, then it becomes the norm. But if you have your Dragonborn/Tiefling/Centaur/Half-Golem party and you take the time to explain why they are where they are, and how the "where" relates back to them? That can make for a great backstory for everyone.

The worst thing that can happen with an "exotic" party is to never address how unique it is.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  01:38:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But if you have your Dragonborn/Tiefling/Centaur/Half-Golem party and you take the time to explain why they are where they are, and how the "where" relates back to them? That can make for a great backstory for everyone.

The worst thing that can happen with an "exotic" party is to never address how unique it is.

Yeah, this.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  03:20:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah it really depends on location. In Memnon they fire Genasi recruit Tiefling Mercanaries because of thier fire resistance, so they have a large are relatively respected Tiefling population, so Tieflings are not so exotic there. Same with certain other places, such as major cosmopolitian cities, certain nations such as Narfell and High Imaskar have large Tiefling populations.

Also remember that even in isolated village, most do have ways of getting news, such as traveling Clerics, Merchants, and Bards spreading news and tales. So most people have heard of explosion in Tiefling population and thier weird new appearance, they're heard of the Dragonborn nation and even if they've never met one, they may own stuff made by Dragonborn and likely heard of them. So yeah its weird, but people know there are weird stuff out there and not all of it is evil.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  03:24:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Mike if Planetouched were in the MM or DMG and this was his respone on twitter. "don't believe either, but they are on the list for future" perhaps in an FR players guide?

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  12:02:41  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiefling core race? again? lol...
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  13:52:46  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword of Spirit asked this of Mearls over twitter. "When planetouched come out sometime in the future, will we have the planescape/planetouched style tieflings?"

Mearls response was "too early to say, but would not surprise me"

I look forward to the Planetouched Race.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  21:30:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Erin M. Evans twitter thier will be a prespellplague demonborn Tiefling in fire in her blood.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  21:56:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend not to think in terms of core and splat. Now its more like Basic and Advanced. No, there is no tiefling or drow or duergar or Dragonborn or Kender or Warforged in Basic. Basic is comprised of the Basic concepts: Human, Elf (high and wood), Dwarf (Hill and Mountain), and Halfling (Lightfoot and Stout). If you want more and unusual options, you'll have to pick up the PHB to see and use them.

Therefor, if people don't want such elements in their games its a simple as saying "we're using Basic options, pick from these races and classes." It campartmentalizes the more unique and varying options for those who like Rogue [Assassin] Warforged with Feats or for Druid/Monk Dwarves who emulate Earth Benders from Avatar: the last airbender.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  23:41:08  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Erin M. Evans twitter thier will be a prespellplague demonborn Tiefling in fire in her blood.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  02:58:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I like about the Pact Tiefling (as opposed to the Planetouched Tiefling), is that some of the sexier pictures remind me of the She Devil pictures my Dad's best friend drew when I was a kid. They had nudity, but they were professional quality. The guy was like an Uncle to me and I miss him. I remember he loved Conan comic books. PS his drawing while sexy, where way better then the drawing of Farideh in the PHB, at least to my taste. Not saying the picture is bad, its good for what it is, its not, just not an art style to my taste.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  18:26:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Mike Mearls why he changed directions in the development of the Tiefling and this was his response on twitter "can't remember exactly why - think we looked at another option for a general, plane-touched race"

So I think that Mike and co, that PS Tieflings were a better fit in a all purpose Planetouched race then with the Pact Tieflings, which makes sense, dispite being related, the PS Tiefling has more in common with the Aasimar and PS Genasi, as Planetouched Mutantsinstead of a race that breeds more of its own, and has a very distinct and recognizable appearance. Different types of outsiders, but simular template as it were.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  18:33:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and most people meeting a Tiefling or Dragonborn would treat them like many people treat those who are different in the real world, polite to thier face, biogot behind thier backs. This would be double because even 1st level Tieflings and Dragonborn have magic powers and frightful appearances that would make these people think twice before ****ing with them. More cosmopolitian people might go out of thier way to befriend them, to prove how evolved they are, and people like me that put the extra effort in to try and see past engrained cultural sterotypes, to treat them as individuals. Oh and the occasional arsehole, drunk or just stupid, that act as blatant biogots.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000