Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Claw of Xynakt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  11:38:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Came across an interesting artefact in the Sea of Fallen Star sourcebook.

quote:
Claw of Xynakt: (KLAW uv ZIN-act) Before 400 DR (origin/creation); 979 DR (received present name) - present
The Claw of Xynakt has been one of the banes of many lives in Serôs for centuries, and while many know of it, none know its true origins. Many believe it fell to Serôs from the surface-world “in a ship made of glass” while others suggest it was created from the bones of Dukars slain by morkoth (as the origin proffered by Xynakt himself). More than 900 years old, it has borne its current name for nearly four centuries.
The Claw provides a variety of powers, but the tales are all so varied and having the Claw lost for 200 years tends to stretch the truth of memories and stories. At the least, the Claw provides powers similar to those of the Dukars but with added power. It defends its wielder almost on its own, allows for spell absorption and reflection, and emits arcane energies all its own. Any other uses of the Claw remain hidden in arcane lore or memories undisturbed in this century.
Secret: The Claw of Xynakt is far older than any morkoth is willing to admit, for to do so is to diminish its importance within the legends of Xynakt the First Arcane. Its origins are lost to the currents, though the tritons at the Tower of Volar in Abydos recognize it as something older than any civilization currently extant in Serôs today. Previous wielders (which the morkoth do not acknowledge) include an ancient koalinth shaman, a drow matron who long ago brought her people into Serôs, and a power-mad duke of Aryselmalyr, though its most famous wielder was the First Arcane.
Elminster’s Notes: Ye must bear careful witness of the Claw and its current bearer, for while he does not wield its power to its greatest advantage (or corruption), its three previous bearers found more than enough mischief to wreak with it. Regardless of his attached name, Xynakt was not the first to wield the Claw, only its most adept and most infamous. If ye would know more of the Claw and its potentials, seek out Qos of Myth Nantar for his wisdom, though ye shall need patience to gain answers from that one.
See Also: Dukur Orders, Keros the Wanderer, Persana’s Blade, Qatoris, Claw of Xynakt

Now for some reason this captured my imagination, and it was a puzzle as to its origin. I ignored the glass ship origin since that is probably a different event.

So focusing on other details Qos knows of its origin and i suspect Qos is an elf, therefore he is probably from Cormanthor originally (and used that artefact to transform himself).
It was carried by an ancient koalinth, a drow matron, and a power mad duke of Aryselmalyr although it doesnt state in what order.

Now a koalinth probably doesnt possess the power to craft an artefact such as this. Aryselmalyr may have possessed the power to craft this item and so do the drow.

Now i checked the Sea of Fallen Stars and the only mention of drow in that book is in the settlement of Lyrathil which was conquered by drow in 812 DR.

So i had a look in the history as to where a drow matron could possibly have come from around abouts 400 DR and in 500 DR Josidiah Starym took the Twisted Tower of Ashaba from the drow in his search for the warblade. I can imagine the tower being held by a noble house of drow from Maerimydra (i think that was the nearest drow settlement, and is/was the location of the warblade).

Upon losing the tower it would probably be best for the entire noble house that was put in charge of the tower to do a runner or be sacrificed to Lolth (who is not known for her understanding nature).

I wonder if the Claw of Xynakt wasnt actually an attempt by the drow to copy the warblade of Cormanthor. After all they did have it for centuries so someone must have studied it and tried to create their own version of it, or tried to corrupt the existing warblade and failed (and this was the byproduct). There is no description for the claw itself although in the description of its last known wielder it mentions a gemstone in his palm, perhaps this is a corrupted selu'kiira (or whatever they are called) that remembers it was part of the warblade and so creates its own evil version.

So the drow house travels beneath the Sea of Fallen Stars for a few hundred years then emerges from below the ground and conquers Lyrathiil. By some accident it ends up in the hands of a koalinth shaman (from a raid probably) and then winds up in the hands of one of the few remaining dukes of Aryselmalyr (probably around Naramyr), before the Morkoth Xynakt gets hold of it.

And of course Qos was from Cormanthor so knew about the original warblade and its capture by the drow and recognised the dark version created by the claw and after a look into the history learned about Lyrathil and put two and two together.

Anyone got any thoughts or knowledge on this artefact?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  13:02:16  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Persana's Blade by Steven Schend in Realms of the Deep is the only other source of lore on this topic. Don't have it to hand right now though and can't remember anything off the top of my head except for it being about a triton named Keros (presumably Keros the Wanderer in your quote).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  13:26:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"...recognize it as something older than any civilization currently extant in Serôs today..."

So what is the oldest civ in Seros?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  14:31:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought about that, and there are several answers and it depends on how you define Serôs.

Aleaxtis was created in 3 DR, and was only destroyed in the same year as the events of the book so you could claim that 3 DR is the date of its creation. However i dont think Aleaxtis was included in this definition otherwise it would have given a date of origin/creation before 0 DR and not 400 DR.

Then we have Naramyr which was a barony of Aryselmalyr and eventually a ruling house from Naramyr claimed the throne of Aryselmalyr. Now Aryselmalyr was around over 10000 years ago, but the crown of Aryselmalyr passed to the House in Naramyr in -412 DR.

But again i think that one isnt included either.

Then we have the nation of As'arem which has existed in various forms, founded in -215 DR, united as an emperor of three kingdoms in -51 DR, in 916 a fourth kingdom was incorporated into the empire.

The only clear cut earliest nation in Seros mention i can find is Eadraal in 735 DR.

So using that one and the
quote:
Before 400 DR (origin/creation);
mention in the writeup i go with its creation anytime before 400 DR. Although i think the warblade was lost even before -51 DR when As'arem was created as an empire.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  23:19:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the ship of glass entry... Makes me think a flying ship made of Avariel glassteel for some reason.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000