Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dracandros's tower and Underdark
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  15:35:00  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alright, im takeing this one away from my workshop thread to focus exclusively on getting information / theories as to what to do with this.

My Party are in Battledale, and soon, they will venture up Haptooth hill to Dracandros's tower (1732 DR) in order to find the old sealed tunnels to the underdark first used by Dracandros's drow allies.

Things i know -
- AT THIS MOMENT RIGHT NOW... i know Dracandros was a Red Wizard, who had something to do with the Curse of the Azure Bonds game. He was one of the Several boss's which needed to be defeated in order to win. I know that he has been destroyed and that the Tower had connections to the underdark.

the Odd 'Robe' passes through Hap with the intention of heading up to the tower and perusing around for hidden Arcane lore to pilfer. But other than that, little of note remains up there.

Things i do not know -

How powerful was Dracandros, could he be a ghost now?

Have any pre-written adventures been detailed pertaining to the purpose of the tower, and what may still be a problem to this day

Things i am Assuming -

The passage ways down have probably been collapsed. Or atleast warded.

Given Haptooth hill is a Volcano, it may still have some Geothermal activity in the caves bellow.

Given the Journey from Hap to Maerimydra is quite short, i imagine it must decend to the middle dark quite Steeply, perhaps this may infer the existance of a chasm (probably with Lava given the Volcano nearby)

I am assuming the Drow do not use these tunnels anymore, given Maerimydra their major city in the region has been thrown down - and Lolth is silent - those capable of fleeing with powerful magics probably did so... via powerful magics. Those who fled to the surface the hard way probably didnt have the power to unblock the tunnels and were more than likely hunted down and killed by Kurgoths Raiders.

What i want from this post -

So what i want namely are resources. I am going to begin looking now for information, but at the same time i would like Ideas.

The Party will be level 14-15 when they make the decent and we are playing Pathfinder.

Thanks!

'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  16:05:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands has some information about the area.

Canon wise, Maerimydra and Szith Morcane are the only cities we know about. But, in one of Ed's novels from years ago, I believe it was the trilogy set during the Time of Troubles, Sylune (I think), makes reference to being held captive by a group of drow wanting to breed her with spiders to make biddable driders for dark elven warriors that were to be used in the wars with various deep drow cities.

I'd expect more drow cities in the area, but maybe Maerimydra was the most famous.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  16:41:08  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As per the write-up in FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Dracandros of the Crimson - Red Wizard of Thay
18th Level Human Magic-User
Str 10 Dex 10 Con 15 Int 18 Wis 9 Cha 5
Height: 5'4", Weight: 110lbs. Hair Colour: Blond (with beard), Eye Colour: One Green, One Blue
THAC0: 13 AC: 2 Hit Points: 40 Alignment CE
Weapon Proficiencies: Staff, Dagger, Knife
Known Languages: Common, Thayan, Amnite, Auld Wyrmish (Dragon)
Magic items of note: Helm of Dragons, Brooch of Shielding, Ring of Fire Resistance, Scarab of Protection.
Dracandros is a Thayan exile - A self proclaimed "Mover and Shaker" - He attacked a guest at a state dinner party (True, the guest was a Mind Flayer, but such details are not as important in Thay as they are elsewhere in the north). Dracandros had all his lands and magical property confiscated, and was banished from the realm, barely escaping with his life.

He had a Red Dragon Dracolich associate, called Crimdrac, in the adventure.

The caverns below Haptooth Hill were occupied by Drow, Efreeti, and Salamanders. It describes the fires of the volcano as not being fully banked...
There are mud/hot springs in the adventure within the hill.

I hope this helps abit?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  16:59:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A red dragon, named Crimdrac, that serves Dracandros of the Crimson?

That is just painful. That's worse than JK Rowling's use of the names Sirius Black or Remus Lupin.

(And note that I like the names Sirius Black and Remus Lupin, it's just using them for a guy that turns into a black dog and a werewolf that makes it painful)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jun 2014 17:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  17:37:16  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Nice! This is Awesome :)

Ok its starting to come together for me...

THE TOWER PARAPET - Nothing of note asside from rain damaged stone, old bones and obvious damage dealt by some sort of battle. A protrusion on the tower top with two rusty iron doors leads down. Searching the doors will find Graffiti scrawled into the metal saying 'Beware the Spheres'

THE TOP FLOOR - this chamber is given entirely over to 'The Challenge of the Spheres'. I have no idea what this is, only that it existed in the Game. There will be some old bones (drow and Wyvern bones). I am considering the Spheres may be two circling Spheres of Anilhilation or something. Thats just a rough idea..

THE SECOND FLOOR - Empty halls, empty rooms, ruins and Refuse. Bones litter the halls. But there will be no encounter.

THE THIRD FLOOR - more empty rooms and halls, and an partially destroyed library. Scrolls inset with Exploding runes are riddled amist the shelves, with a few other high level Arcane Scrolls. In the halls, Elf bones, and Owlbear bones marr the steps down. Dracandros's bedroom will be on this floor aswell. Im considering having an Iron Golem standing outside, surrounded by the bones of 'would be' adventurers who couldnt best it.

LEVEL FOUR -

The Final Floor, with Dracandros's old Lab which was destroyed in his final battle. His Ghost haunts the chamber - And will not rest until he has vengence. To this end, he may attempt to coerce the party into finding the one who struck the lethal blow on him, The Innkeep (a retired adventurer) at the Hog's head in Hap. Until then he will haunt his nightmares. Otherwise they can attempt to vanquish him. (Ill bump him down to Level 15 due to death weakening him), During the fighting he will animate Numerous Wyvern skeletons to assist him.

THE CAVERNS BELLOW

A Secret door reveals a hidden Stair which decends into the warm interior of the Volcano (trecking for 200 feet) terminating in a chamber filled with bubbling Mud pools and smoke stacks. The party will be attacked a Trashmob welcoming party of fire salamanders. Once they realise they cannot beat the players, they will advise the rest of their kin to stay 'well away' from the invaders.

Other things i am considering putting down here, A firey chamber with 'Gas Candles' and incredulous heat, the home of a Brijadine Azata. She is quite curious and lonely, if not alittle deranged. She rarely has the chance to barter with outsiders either, she will offer them information in exchange for a gift she cannot destroy. (knowledge may find that Azata's love spicy foods and literature), If she likes what she gets, she will tell them that there have been strangers makeing forays into the caverns as of late from deeper in the earth, strangers who bring deamons in their wake - something she mentions with great disgust.

Empty caverns may contain old drow bones from the battles fought long ago.

Encountering a Camp of Kurgoth Hellspawns' Soldiers (Firegiants, Ogres, Goblins) in a chamber. This can forshadow things deeper down in Maerimydra.

I was thinking Fiends would be a good encounter at some stage down here, to add abit of 'Evil' to the whole expedition.

Maybe an encounter with some Mud-Men... 'Hot' Earth Elementals of some sort.

Exiting the Volcanic caverns ill have them set upon by some Drow Renegades from Maerimydra erking out an existance in the tunnels, lead by a Charismatic bandit lord named Gallimore and his troupe of Quaggoths and Assasins. They can kill him (as he would take them as slaves and sell them) or perhaps twist his arm for more information, perhaps convince him they are more trouble than they are worth. In return, he may forshadow that if they intend to head to Maerimydra, they may want to link up with 'The Hidden'. (from Drow of the underdark)

Im thinking deeper into the earth if they take a wrong turn they may stumble into the strange garden cavern of the 'thing' known as 'Gduar'. As a biproduct of heat and steam, there is plenty of run off and that feeds a thriving system of fungal caves at the heart of which lairs Gduar (from the underdark guide)

Instead of the Dracolich, Crimdrac, i am thinking his lair has been taken over by a Shadow dragon named Phazuroth. Formerly an Ally of the Drow, when it discovered Lolth had stripped her clerics of their powers - he laughed. and laughed. and laughed. and laughed and then he watched their society collapse. He has been makeing forays into Maerimydra for loot, extorting tribute from any who pass through his tunnels. Kurgoth knows about the dragon, but doesnt consider it a real threat. (drow of the underdark)

And ofcourse the approach to Maerimydra itself. Im guessing there is a conventional approach (which may snake off towards other more distant cities) which will probably be heavily guarded by Kurgoth Hellspawns legions. OR they could take a different way in, Im guessing Phazueroth's lair has tunnels that exit from some high cave overlooking the chamber of Maerimydra itself. Perhaps they could bribe their way past the dragon - or simply kill him and take his hoard.

Somewhere in amidst all this i will need to spread things out over a couple dozen miles of underdark wilderness... all in all i think its a Start.

Thoughts? Ideas? Additions?

'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Edited by - Fendrikor on 29 Jun 2014 17:47:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000