Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Chosen requirements
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  20:53:01  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What with all the Chosen popping up in Faerun recently, I was a bit curious as for the requirements of becoming a Chosen, aside from showing unwavering devotion to a deity, what else would a character have to do?.

Edited by - mhamza on 15 Jun 2014 21:25:33

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  00:53:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There really isn't a formula... But a major requirement would be to be chosen by the deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  00:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the Master of Mischief said. From what I understand, being a Chosen isn't something you earn it is something a god grants because he sees devotion and great potential to advance the god's cause.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  01:34:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Seven Sisters were Chosen before birth because the Deity selected a surrogate.
There is not rule or set rules on how a mortal can become Chosen of a Deity. The deity however can select a mortal to be worthy and tasked with the burdens of being Chosen.

From the best I can tell the mortal has no choice in the matter.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  09:01:45  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if could be useful, but recently I've 'rediscovered' this link for homebrew requirement. I hope could be useful.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/forgotten-realms/threads/895786

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  17:52:16  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if a character was so good at whatever a deity's portfolio was and the deity makes them a chosen, i mean like say someone was so good at magic but didn't worship Mystra, would she then try to convert them to her clergy?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  19:48:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mhamza

What if a character was so good at whatever a deity's portfolio was and the deity makes them a chosen, i mean like say someone was so good at magic but didn't worship Mystra, would she then try to convert them to her clergy?

For your example the answer appears to be no. There is no indication that Mystra tried to convert Qilué Veladorn and she was Chosen before birth. This though could be considered a special case.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  20:34:09  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

For your example the answer appears to be no. There is no indication that Mystra tried to convert Qilué Veladorn and she was Chosen before birth. This though could be considered a special case.

Huh, well thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  22:46:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This particular example isnt valid, anyhow. In the Realms, *everyone* who uses any form of magic is venerating Mystra. Even Red Wizards of yesteredition, for example, reluctantly gave Mystra minimal lip service - much as it pained their misogynistic smoldering arrogance, much as they fueled their (Rashemen-inspired) conceptions and hatreds towards witches. The Reds openly venerated cool manly evil deities - like Velsharoon, Myrkul, Kossuth, Azuth, and Talos - but in the end, when unavoidably necessary, they would humbly invoke Mystras name because no other would suffice.

Mystras dominion over magic in the Realms is basically inescapable and absolute.

But, that being said, yes, deities might approach extraordinary mortals whose abilities or actions promote their divine portfolios in the mortal world. Some may attempt to convert or convince such mortals. Other might impose no-saving-throw divine fiat regardless of the mortals wishes. Most would probably not waste much time attempting to enroll a Chosen vessel who obdurately refuses to serve.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  01:20:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Mystra's case, she tends to approach mortals about becoming her Chosen (rather than forcing it on them). This is documentef for both Elminster and Sammaster. The Seven Sisters are a special case but I seem to recall she approached each of them as well. In other words, they had some spark as a result of their divine parentage but weren't made Chosen until she approached them. But I can't remember where I read that from now.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  12:48:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

This particular example isnt valid, anyhow. In the Realms, *everyone* who uses any form of magic is venerating Mystra. Even Red Wizards of yesteredition, for example, reluctantly gave Mystra minimal lip service - much as it pained their misogynistic smoldering arrogance, much as they fueled their (Rashemen-inspired) conceptions and hatreds towards witches. The Reds openly venerated cool manly evil deities - like Velsharoon, Myrkul, Kossuth, Azuth, and Talos - but in the end, when unavoidably necessary, they would humbly invoke Mystras name because no other would suffice.

Mystras dominion over magic in the Realms is basically inescapable and absolute.

But, that being said, yes, deities might approach extraordinary mortals whose abilities or actions promote their divine portfolios in the mortal world. Some may attempt to convert or convince such mortals. Other might impose no-saving-throw divine fiat regardless of the mortals wishes. Most would probably not waste much time attempting to enroll a Chosen vessel who obdurately refuses to serve.

Misogynistic? I'm perfectly accepting of all kinds of red wizard name calling, but I don't think that fits them. They got women in their ranks who as much an asshole as the men. Just sayin'

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  19:16:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, Reds arent entirely sexist. But, somehow, I gained the impression (from the fiction and the game sourcebooks) that the Red Wizards are a predominantly male-dominated organization, at least in positions of power, and that their traditions basically favour males for arcane competence while condeming females for witchy cunning.

Quite odd, really, since Reds are well known for their treachery, arrogance, scheming, and fiendish pacts, regardless of their gender. There are indeed female Red Wizards, even female Zulkirs. The misconception might be my own, reading more into the material than what was written, or generalizing Reds from nonrepresentative individuals (such as misogynistic Maligor, in the Harpers novel).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  18:29:35  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

In Mystra's case, she tends to approach mortals about becoming her Chosen (rather than forcing it on them). This is documentef for both Elminster and Sammaster. The Seven Sisters are a special case but I seem to recall she approached each of them as well. In other words, they had some spark as a result of their divine parentage but weren't made Chosen until she approached them. But I can't remember where I read that from now.

Yes, the Seven were conceived so that they'd be born with the physical and mental Fortitude required to become a stable Chosen (unlike Sammaster who agreed to become Chosen but couldn't handle it).

When the girls grew up and had come into their own power, Mystra approached each of them and offered them the opportunity (in Laeral and Sylune's case, they were about to kill each other, having no idea that they were sisters, when Mystra appeared).

A lot of other Chosen have had the decision made for them. Hedrun Arnsfirth - Chosen of Auril, for example, discovered that she was Chosen when she didn't die from exposure in the frozen tundra like she should have done.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  20:03:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shade Erevis Cale was Chosen by Mask, yet rejected it (hating and defying Mask) for years. They eventually resolved their differences with a bit of a knife fight in a back alley.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Yuukale
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  04:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Yuukale's Homepage Send Yuukale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides the Srinshee, are there any other Chosen of Corellon ? (If I recall it correctly, the Srinshee is both Chosen of Mystra AND Corellon, right?)

Yuukale Narmo ~ The Hunter, The Trigger
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  06:30:17  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, the Srinshee is the Chosen of the entire Seldarine, not just Corellon Larethian. As for your question, the only other character I can think of that was stated to be a Chosen of Corellon is Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet (and even then, she is also a Chosen of the Seldarine, IIRC).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000