Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Immigrants of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2014 :  14:55:59  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Faeruns current history is one of turmoil. I expect that human populations have responded by attempting to settle areas with more favorable conditions. If one were to predict the general direction of human migration, what part of Faerun would see the most immigrants?

I think the general trend was made clear in the 4th ed realms. Cormyr is a major attraction and has a populace with increasing numbers of immigrants. Take the city of Marsember for example. In the 15th century Realms it has Xiousing (Yow Sing), a Shou dominated part that consists of nearly 4000 Shou (totalling about 10% of the whole towns citizenry).

Do we know what caused this quite massive influx of Shou? Do you think other areas should include examples such as the one in Marsember?

Also, if you'd make estimations, how much of a typical populace in modern Faerun is consistent of people with zakharan, karaturan or maztican/learakondian origin? What do you think are the major factors sending these people away from their homes?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2014 :  15:03:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure i know the cause of the mass migrations in 4th edition but to repeat it would not be constructive.

"It sounds cool" is probably the diplomatic answer to why did something happen 1485+.

The sheer distance between Kara-Tur and Faerun, as well as the vast and hugely inhospitable terrain between the two continents should have prevented any large scale migration. And given that the weave ended and all portals stopped working you can't use the portal argument as an explanation for the transference of people during that time.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2014 :  15:45:02  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know. But it could very well have been a cascading immigration, as in large groups of shou immigrants taking several 'jumps' over something like five generations.

Shou were already migrating into places like Tefflam for several ages in Thesk along the Golden Road in the 1370-ies. Its not that hard to take a boat to Cormyr or Sembia from there.

For Zahkarans the trade across the Great Sea is frequent enough to have had some chance of bringing along people into Veldorn, Estagund, Luiren and Dambrath. The Golden Waters for example have a bazaar where zakharan traders frequent, some of those might have chosen to stay permanently after the last few centuries of trade. Subseqent (15th century) generations could have chosen to follow trade routes even further north.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  04:08:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather lean towards slow migrations of individuals who are daring only. People tend to stay at home where they're familiar... especially when the countryside is full of beasties that think you taste good with gravy.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000