Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Sundering sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2014 :  23:06:00  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Though I am not sure how much I like the Sundering yet, it sure is a fascinating time. Does anyone know If WofC will release a book for campaigns happening during the Sundering?

Take World War II as an example. Being in post-war Europe and in 1942 Europe are very different things.

I am sure there will be a post-Sundering Forgotten Realms major sourcebook. But I do hope to get a detailed explanation of the events which will lead us there, on which I could base a campaign. And I mean I hope to read more than a few adventures with scant information about world events; I am hoping for a real The Sundering sourcebook.

Any thoughts?

[note: I had posted this elsewhere but I think this is the right place]

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2014 :  23:14:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC will publish what they want, when they want. It clearly is possible that some kind of Realms Source book will be released. It is also possible that such source material might be scatted in other web or print releases.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  20:15:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure we'll get a Campaign Setting book for 5e, but I doubt we'll get a "Sundering" supplement.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  14:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A world war is not something that can reasonably happen in Faerūn -- it would be importing twentieth-century Earth geopolitics, transport and communication into a setting where nothing like them exists. And whereas the fourth-edition Realms was supposed to feel different and novel and post-upheaval, and so unsurprisingly went back on its initial strategy of not detailing the Spellplague, the fifth-edition Realms is not supposed to feel like a postwar setting in that sense, it's supposed to feel like the mid-fourteenth century DR. (Though with the Tyranny of Dragons storyline it is not off to the best start.) So the Sundering was conceived as a necessary evil -- a way to sell some books and keep the Realms in focus while the new D&D and the new setting were being prepared, and to contrive a realignment of the world in as unobtrusive a way as possible and afterwards get back to publishing the Realms, not how it gets turned upside down yet again, if we're to take seriously how they were presenting this a couple of years ago.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000