Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Different style of FR 4E Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  07:28:57  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Artist/Cartographer Mike Schley modified the black & white map he did for the end plates of the Sundering novels into sepia tones: HERE.

The slight difference in color really makes the map pop, especially the water compared to the land.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  07:42:40  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup that's a good map. I can't wait to see what he does with 5e (I am correct in assuming he's doing thier 5e maps yes?)

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  16:12:01  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artistically it's a good map, but I reallly hope that's not how 5E Realms will end up looking like geographically. Otherwise it's hardly different at all from 4E. Things I really hate about this map is the utter destruction of the Shining South, the Vilhon Reach, etc. Then again not sure how they'll explain the rebirth of these places if that's what's happening in 5E.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  16:21:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very easy effect to pull-off on a piece of finished work, especially using Photoshop. Still, its nice (I liked the B&W original, so of course I like this).

Can't wait to see what he does for the 5e FR map - there's been hints of 'big changes' so I am greatly looking forward to it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  18:24:12  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted, it's a simple effect to pull off for a practiced graphic artist compared to actually drawing the whole thing out in the first place. I prefer this version because the original B&W seemed a bit muddled to my eyes, this small difference really turned it into something else (imo). I like the parchment feel and it reminds me of the pages from the OGB.

And of course, any 4E map really highlights all the landmass lost, compacting more of the action towards the core areas. I still don't get the logic there. If they instead flooded a well known core area, which forced a mass exodus, then that causes conflict and tension as people move towards other lands or the periphery (bringing the periphery into prominence).

Hopefully the designers will expand the setting for 5E rather than shrink it further.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  05:01:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It has a much more "authentic look", as opposed to the very digital looking map from the 4e book. On one hand, I like that. But, on the other, when it comes to something as important as a map in a book that is supposed to be the "all to" guide of a 'brave new world', I do think the map should be as clear and detailed as possible (which, for the record, I do not think the 4e book map accomplished).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2014 :  17:57:14  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been officially stated that the map in the Sundering novels is the geography at the beginning of the Sundering, and that things will change by the end of the series. For those who have kept up on your reading, you will have certainly noticed that.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000