Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bladesingers in the novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bandyman1
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  11:22:27  Show Profile Send Bandyman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all, new to the site, so let me start by saying that it's great to see so many who apparently love the Realms as much as I do :) !

With that out of the way, I have a question for you.

I've been a huge fan of elven bladesingers as characters ever since the release of The Complete Book of Elves. My friends and I are 1st and 2nd edition AD&D diehards, so I don't really know how they have evolved/changed in the newer editions, but the old 2e bladesinger rules were pretty clear about the fact that bladesingers fought with a single one-handed weapon, or they couldn't use the bladesong benefits.

Being a big fan of FR novels, I've noticed that many of the bladesinger characters in the novels use dual swords. I was wondering about the disparity, and if it had been discussed and/or addressed before? If so, if one of you kind souls could direct me to the relevant material I'd be extremely grateful .

TY in advance.

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  16:44:33  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome. :)

From my reading (which got a little more limited in the early 2000s), all mention of bladesingers became that of the prestige class, or of the bladesinging that melded sword play and magic. Of the pure martial bladesingers, those paragons of elven swordmastery (which I highly prefer, as that was my first character), well, they don't seem to be that much used or written of or in lore, to mine eyes.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  21:32:13  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy by Richard Baker. It has a main character that is a blade singer and that series seriously rocked!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  14:26:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also Bladesinger, by Keith Francis Strohm, the fourth book of The Fighters series. I found it to be a very entertaining novel.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  17:22:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Richard Baker - "Return of them Archwizards" (in Evereska).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  13:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, Taegan, the bladesinger in my "Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy, is a single-sword guy.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  18:14:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, right, that avariel too.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2014 :  00:02:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-One would have to assume, given the many different variant bladesingers we've seen in novels and in 3e sourcebooks (at least two, probably three if you scoured DRAGON magazine), that numerous bladesinging traditions exist. The basic concept is the same- fusing martial weapons and magic- but a bunch of different variations exist. The novel Bladesinger presented a bladesinger who was taught in an academy-like setting. Other bladesingers have been presented that learned in much more informal manner, one-on-one, teacher passing his knowledge down to student. Some have used traditional one-handed light swords. Some have used two swords. It would stand to reason that others might even use heavier swords. In theory, one might even be able to use axes or other one-handed weapons, but that is straying a little too far from the bladesinger concept for me.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2014 :  23:09:24  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No this subject,I remember the complete book of elves stated that drow weren't bladesingers,but had their own styles and teachers,yet I haven't found a template for drow bladesingers or prestige class .

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  07:47:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.x? Yeah. Several classes for stealth-based and mobile types (Scout, Dark Hunter, Invisible Blade...), but not weaponmasters and magic/melee. Even the shoehorning notes (that also suggested bladesingers in full plate) recommended giving Duskblades to Vyshaan and nostalgic remnants.
Other than that... "Exotic Weapon Master" (just drop the weird categories) and "Spellsword" from Complete Warrior would do. With some stuff from Underdark and "Drow of the Underdark" (3.5) like styles.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000