Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New God suggestions for the realms.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  02:07:54  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone feel that there's a portfolio out there that is neglected? What are some of your suggestions for new Gods?

I personally think there should be a god of vengeance. He/She would except any non lawful alignment.

Conversely there should be a God of Forgiveness.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  03:06:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vengeance is covered by Hoar.

I would think forgiveness would be either Ilmater or Lathander. Ilmater because he covers enduring pain -- and forgiveness is, in a sense, enduring the pain of someone's actions. Lathander because he represents new beginnings -- like the new beginning represented by moving past someone's past actions.

What isn't really covered in the Faerūnian pantheon is mischief. Not a malicious mischief like Loki employs; I'd rather the occasionally wise mischief of Coyote (he is my patron saint, after all! ), or the friendly, mischief for mischief's sake like Brandobaris. Basically, a good Trickster.

I also really like Golarion's Cayden Cailean -- he covers freedom, bravery, and alcohol. I don't think any Faerūnian deity really covers any of those things.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Mar 2014 03:07:43
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  03:14:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Forgotten Realms needs a God of Barbarians. Yes, I know several gods work in that area...but I mean a specific god dedicated to the preservation of Barbarian Ways.

A god who's "clergy" is only tribal shaman types that teach things that promote simply being Barbarians. Individuality, Strength of the Arm, that Civilization is BAD...stuff like that.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  22:44:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may wish to peruse this old scroll ...

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12044&whichpage=6

(Apologies for the ugliness, but my mobile device doesnā€˜t have proper quote marks, only reversed ones which Candlekeep rejects.)

You will of course be utterly awed by my suggestion: Drognard, God of Grumblers.

Although many others were also suggested. Including a god of wine/alcohol, which I am embarassed to admit is a great idea for which I cannot take any credit.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2014 :  02:49:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there was that NDA that was the god of withheld secrets or something

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  04:59:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Touche, sfdragon. Good one!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Karyl
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  06:06:09  Show Profile Send Karyl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
O wise sages, assist me. ;) Is there (are there) any Faerūnian god(s) of truth? By truth I don't mean knowledge, or honesty...

Our bones that lie here await yours.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  22:12:13  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I think the Forgotten Realms needs a God of Barbarians. Yes, I know several gods work in that area...but I mean a specific god dedicated to the preservation of Barbarian Ways.

A god who's "clergy" is only tribal shaman types that teach things that promote simply being Barbarians. Individuality, Strength of the Arm, that Civilization is BAD...stuff like that.

Isn't that just Uthgar and the Uthgardt?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  22:58:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth (with a capital T) is an unattainable abstract ideal. Theologists, lay worshippers, philosophers, logicians, mathematicians, and scientists have argued over Truth since ancient times.

However, Truth must contain all the lesser truths which can be expressed in the context of divine portfolios.

Tyr would represent truth in terms of what is legal and just. Helm would see truth in duty. Torm serves truth through honor. Oghma cherishes truthful knowledge. Mystra and Azuth discover truth in magic.

Some deities - Leira, Cyric, Shar, Talos, Bane, etc - oppose Truth, or canā€˜t comprehend it, or simply issue whatever Truth is currently the most useful tool for their tasks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  23:44:47  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are strong parallels in the Faerun pantheon with the main pantheon of classical Rome, which I'll list below (so you can play name the Faerunian equivalent ;) ). Most have similar portfolios but there are some interesting gaps in which give good opportunities to add some new deities. Vesta for example, there isn't a deity in Faerun that holds a portfolio of the home.

Jupiter (over god)
Juno (over goddess)
Tellus/Terra (earth goddess)
Sol (sun god)
Luna (moon goddess)
Mars (warrior god)
Bellona (warrior goddess)
Qurinus (hunter god)
Diana (hunter goddess)
Mercury (god of trade, travel and diplomacy)
Minerva (goddess of wisdom and magic)
Vesta (goddess home and family)
Ceres (harvest/fertility goddess)
Neptune (sea god)
Vulcan (fire god)
Venus (goddess beauty and passion)
Saturn (god of time and patronage, 'father of Jupiter')
Orcus (god of torment)
Janus (god of change)
Salus (goddess of health and welfare)
Liber (god of freedom)
Fortuna (goddess of luck)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  03:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh. Here we go again.
BlackAce, by the same logic there are strong parallels between the Faerunian pantheon and the pantheons of Ancient Greece, Sumeria, Babylon, and so on. Not to mention the Norse, Celtic, Finnish, and . . . oh, never mind.
My point is: ALL long-lived mythos have deities of these various portfolios, in various combinations and permutations.
And Chauntea is the goddess of the home in the Realms; that's what "Hearthmother" means. (In Ed's initial writings, she's the Earthmother and the Hearthmother, according to a long-ago GenCon handout everyone who attended a particular panel got a copy of.)
The thing is, if you want to play name the Faerunian equivalent, it's a game that changes over time in the Realms, as deities rise and fall in popularity, are worshipped in different ways and by different names and aspects, etc.
To me, the interesting part of all of this is the in-Realms shifting of portfolios, not which real-world deity a particular Realms deity is closest to, or we think is closest to, or we guess is closest to.
BB
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2014 :  00:47:40  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....and if you're quite done spectacularly missing the point of the thread?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000