Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun vs Tamriel vs middle earth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  02:16:38  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Where would you rather live? Through the books, faerun seems a lot more bustling compared to tamriel.

Tamriel is beautiful, just cause I've seen it in skyrim and the elder scrolls games.

Middle earth just seems to overrun with orcs, maybe clan battle hammer can clean me up?

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  02:32:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmmm... lets see, I'll give you an answer after I get this arrow outa my knee

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  04:57:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know nothing of Tamriel, so that strikes it from the list for me. Sounds like a good name for an elf, though.

I don't know Middle-Earth near as well as I know the Realms... I could dig living in a hobbit-hole, though. I was just saying that to my wife the other day, actually -- for some reason, I really like the idea of a house that's part of a hill.

That said, I'd still prefer to live in either Waterdeep or Silverymoon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  11:04:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to live in the Misbegotten Realms.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  11:07:24  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the idea of living in Tamriel AT ALL. I mean, murder is fine as long as you've got the money to pay off the constabulary - and it's all above board? Nomatter where you go? No thanks.

If I lived in Faerūn I would HAVE to be an adventurer or at the very least a static wizard. The life of a commoner in Faerūn would be terribly dull for me but I've dreamed about being an adventurer there for over a decade.

I spent my childhood living about a mile away from what's left of the area that inspired Middle Earth so I can say with confidence that it's a pleasant place. If it looked like it does in the movies however, I'd definitely want to live there.

So, in summation: Faerūn if I get to be an adventurer, otherwise Middle Earth.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  18:43:40  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hashimashadoo - three words for you: Play Yourself Gaming. Lol.

Seriously though, I think you might enjoy it!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  19:44:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

Hashimashadoo - three words for you: Play Yourself Gaming. Lol.

Seriously though, I think you might enjoy it!

After the Hearthfire expansion I already feel like I live in Tamriel.

I am looking forward to Elderscrolls online, but I really really want another Chapter on the Arena->Skyrim sequence.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  22:36:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I wish they were still putting out expansions for Skyrim. I had the idea that your PC could be named Thane of Skyrim after becoming Thane of each holding and completing the Main and Civil War story lines. From there, you could build your own castle complete with all the trimmings. But they aren't producing DLC anymore.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  23:02:40  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hobbits living in the Shire lived a joyous, carefree lifestyle. And I'm talking about the average hobbits. Faerunian cities like Neverwinter and Waterdeep hold a lot of appeal, but there is a lot of danger also. If you're an average person, you're likely to experience a lot of hardship and unfairness. Though it's nowhere near as depressing as, say, Martin's Westeros.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  23:23:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
khanio07
Middle earth just seems to overrun with orcs ...
I am of the opinion that a real problem with Toril is a distinct lack of orcs. Proper orcs who gather in proper orc hordes and do properly orcish things, who dare not reject their creator-god, who are strong and take what they want from the weak, who do not pollute themselves with frivolous things like agriculture, diplomacy, and mercentile alliances.

Middle Earth seems, to me, vastly overinfested with haughty elves and drunken hobbits.

And both settings would do well with a stiffer dose of dwarves.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Feb 2014 23:36:45
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  01:02:29  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lilianviaten,

Decent assessment of life for the little guy (in both senses here, Lol) in the varied fantasy worlds.

Since you brought up George "ARR ARR" Martin's corner of the universe, I'll share a funny thought I had about it...

I tend to attend GenCon every year when I can, and over the last two cons I've run a couple of open 'Play Yourself' RPG style games on the schedule. Each one has been set in the Realms (as are all my games) for pretty obvious reasons, but I had the amusing idea of doing a "Game of Thrones" version of the PYS at the con. I'd spend an hour making highly detailed in game versions of the players around the table (right down to the contents of their pockets), drop them into the world, and then...they'd be beaten, murdered, and eaten within the first 15 minutes of play. I thought it would be an adventure true to the spirit of the game world! Lol.

My advice for you, dear reader, if you ever wake up in Westeros is to look immediately around for the nearest tall object and throw yourself off of it - seeking a quick and painless end to your adventures!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  01:21:26  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were a thief, Faerun or Tamriel Would fit me best.
If i was an adventurer, all 3 would suffice.

WAIT! How do you think the companions of the hall would survive in Tamriel or Midde earth??

Bruenor would have no kin in Tamriel or Middle earth because they seem to have gtfoed somewhere!
Drizzt would not find racism in skyrim.

Interesting question though

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  03:45:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you forgot Wulfgar would love Skyrim.......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  11:45:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a difficult choice but i think I would pick Tamriel. It just seems like the best place to be an adventurer.
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  20:05:26  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

you forgot Wulfgar would love Skyrim.......

Would you say wulfgar is more akin to a Nord or a Redgaurd?

Either way , wulfgar would be the champion of skyrim

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  00:07:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
khanio07
Middle earth just seems to overrun with orcs ...
I am of the opinion that a real problem with Toril is a distinct lack of orcs. Proper orcs who gather in proper orc hordes and do properly orcish things, who dare not reject their creator-god, who are strong and take what they want from the weak, who do not pollute themselves with frivolous things like agriculture, diplomacy, and mercentile alliances.

Middle Earth seems, to me, vastly overinfested with haughty elves and drunken hobbits.

And both settings would do well with a stiffer dose of dwarves.

and what's with the orc chieftains of middle earth having ball sacs hanging from their chins (or at least one of them having such).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  02:08:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, it's a tough call here. I'd say either Faerun or Tamriel for me- both are beautiful, and both have dark elves aplenty for me to hang with. (Obviously, I'd be dancing with Eilistraee's bunch in Fearun.) I love the fauna of Tamriel- actually, I have a keen interest in the flora and its alchemic properties, too- and I'd probably go seek out some of Fearun's dragons to learn from (Metallics and a song or two, of course.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  02:58:05  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as I have never played Skyrim but have heard it's a pretty good game, Tamriel sounds like a good place to live. I don't think Middle Earth is a place for an elf with all the orcs running around, though it does sound like it's got breathtaking views (from what I've seen in the movies and read in the books). But I have a fondness for the Realms and I'd much prefer to live where I know the world best.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  03:12:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently live in Tamriel, though I've yet to make it to the Cloud District...

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  03:46:57  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WAIT! WULFGAR IS A DRAGONBORN! HE killed dracos icingdeath! omg

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  13:58:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I currently live in Tamriel, though I've yet to make it to the Cloud District...

I feel your pain, neither have I. However this video might cheer you up a bit Dont insult the dragonborn
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  01:04:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lost track of how many times I've done something awful to Nazeem.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kusghuul
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  01:15:02  Show Profile Send Kusghuul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerun. High magic and Drizzts and Elminsters a plenty to sort out my problems.

Tamriel. Much more brutal in general.

Middle Earth. Low magic dark setting where the bad guys actually might win? Awwww Hells naw.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  14:12:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I lost track of how many times I've done something awful to Nazeem.

Ha ha you and everybody else you has played Skyrim.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  23:56:51  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the three mentioned, I'd probably want to live in Faerun, especially if Eilistraee is still alive. If she isn't... then I'd do everything in my power to see that she was resurrected.* I'm not really familiar with Tamriel, and Middle-Earth, while interesting, doesn't hold much appeal to me. (At least, not as much as Faerun does.) As for Westeros, my frequent response to my adventuring groups' often suicidal battle strategies should work perfectly;

HELL NO!**

*Which reminds me, is it too late to respond to the 'What god would you worship' thread? I had to think long and hard about that question, and now that I've worked it out, the thread's no longer an active topic.
**Sorry for shouting.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  03:55:11  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Essos. Such an interesting place, especially after A Dance with Dragons. I'd love to poke around the ruins of Valyria, investigating the rumors of demons and stuff.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  11:09:56  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Of the three mentioned, I'd probably want to live in Faerun, especially if Eilistraee is still alive. If she isn't... then I'd do everything in my power to see that she was resurrected.* I'm not really familiar with Tamriel, and Middle-Earth, while interesting, doesn't hold much appeal to me. (At least, not as much as Faerun does.) As for Westeros, my frequent response to my adventuring groups' often suicidal battle strategies should work perfectly;

HELL NO!**

*Which reminds me, is it too late to respond to the 'What god would you worship' thread? I had to think long and hard about that question, and now that I've worked it out, the thread's no longer an active topic.
**Sorry for shouting.

I'd do everything in my power to stop you from resurrecting her. Keep the dead DEAD. I don't care how pure they are in life, it isn't natural.

Visit the spirit in another plane of existence but don't resort to lichdom please... For your own good...

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  15:32:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerun, although I'd take a Planeshift spell straight to Brightwater.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  17:31:44  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again all,

As a champion of the 'pretend you are visiting a fantasy world' style 'Play Yourself' game I have to say I'm enjoying this tread quite a bit (I sort of figured it would peter out a tad earlier). I'm pleased to see more scribes hereabouts have spent time pondering which part of the Realms they'd love to wake up and find themselves in. I find the 'how would that play out exactly?' aspect of such games endlessly fascinating.

Some of the things that come up again and again in my games are:

- should you give the 'Earthers' a special destiny (a la 'The Chronicles of Narnia', 'The Guardians of the Flame' or 'The Woods Out Back') or just let them loose in the Realms in a truly sand box fashion?

- what classes do they play? have they got some built in survivability that comes from their day job or life experience (police, fire, military, SCA) or are they office cubicle fodder waiting to be eaten by the first orc they encounter?

- how much lore do they know? are they wandering the world with only the vaguest idea of what D&D or the Realms are, or are they devoted readers of everything Salvatore (or some other author) has ever written, or are they Candlekeep scribes, equipped with so much useful knowledge about people and places in the Realms that they are at a massive competitive advantage to the average local?

- what gods do they choose to worship (the other thread on this subject veered in this territory)? do they stay true to their home faith or do they go native? how do the local deities react to their presence? do they eagerly scoop up new converts with special knowledge and sweep them into their existing divine conflicts?

- are they alone or are there other people from Earth already here in the Realms executing agendas of their own? what happens when the two groups (or more) come into contact?

- when do you set your game? in the far past? distant future? the now of the Realms? if you set the game at any time other than 'the present' does the knowledge the players have of events about to occur allow them to change those events (like Tasslehoff Burrfoot in the Dragonlance Legends series) or are they merely doomed to serve as observers to events they cannot hope to change (like Caramon and Crysania from the same series)? if they can change the future, what do they choose to do with that power? save a life, avert a doom, stop the spellplague?

- what do you do about famous NPCs of the Realms? do the PCs seek them out, trying to meet Elminster or Drizzt? what do those NPCs know of the existence of Earth, and how will they react to the PCs when they meet them?

- how do people who have probably never faced mortal peril react when they do? how do they deal with a lawless world or one where injustice is a sight more common than it is here? what do they do in the face of cruelty, slavery, starvation, and deprivation? do they hide out and live fat off their knowledge or do they dedicate themselves to righting the wrongs of the world they find themselves in?

As you can see, this sort of 'thought experiment' style gaming lends itself to a myriad of interesting plots and role playing opportunities. It also gives its players some insights into themselves and their relationships as friends. In short, if you have ever dreamed about waking up in the Realms and yet have never tried this sort of game, I'd encourage you to give it a whirl, I think you might enjoy it. I know I do.

On a related note, one of my players (who posts hereabouts as well) and I were moved by a whim to generate a fan fiction novella length story about one the campaign arcs in our game. It touches on many of the themes highlighted above. I'd posted a 'teaser' from it on the 'keep when we started it last year, then more or less forgot about it since. This charming conversation has prompted me to share the rest of it with you all. So, I'll be posting it, one chapter at a time (there are 10), hereabouts. Keep you eyes open if you are curious about how one such 'visit to the Realms' worked out for a group of Realms loving players.

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  18:08:18  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, as promised, Chapter I...http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18961.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2014 :  16:57:18  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khanio07

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

HELL NO!**

**Sorry for shouting.

I'd do everything in my power to stop you from resurrecting her. Keep the dead DEAD. I don't care how pure they are in life, it isn't natural.

Visit the spirit in another plane of existence but don't resort to lichdom please... For your own good...

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Of course, now my answer to the question can only be 'none of the above'. (And the question of 'What deity would you worship'? Forget I ever asked; it's now completely moot.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000