Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  16:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Cathedrals of Gond are seldom seen on the mainland, where shrines are the rule.

This is all great stuff and I really appreciate Ed (and yourself) taking the time to reply. I would certainly love to hear more, and would probably even buy a Volo's Guide type book on the subject, with my only hope being --- more specifics.

Which statue of Sune, or her priestesses, is regard as the best? Which temple is it at? Who sculpted it? Does the artist have any other works?

Come to think of it ... how has magic and illusion effected the arts of the realms? I would iamgine that there are some fairly unique styels based upon the use and even different uses of magic?

Sorry, its just that all of a sudden I'm finding a use for my old grade 12 Western Civ. class!!

Anyway, as per the actual quote above, I was wondering if the difference between a "cathedral" a "temple" and a "shrine" could be clarified, along with "chapel" as well for good measure?

Thanks again!

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  17:36:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity

No, I know who the Srinshee is. Well, I know what most of us know about her anyway I imagine. I was referring to a secret (?) organization of elves that are somehow involved with her, and that existed before the fall of Myth Drannor.

Umm, I think they pretty much died in the battle known as The Honorsgate War during the defence of Myth Drannor - see "Fall of Myth Drannor", pgs.38-39.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  18:32:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity
No, I know who the Srinshee is. Well, I know what most of us know about her anyway I imagine. I was referring to a secret (?) organization of elves that are somehow involved with her, and that existed before the fall of Myth Drannor.

Ah that reference slipped my mind and it wasn't something I knew much about. Sorry, but it got answered already. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  21:30:36  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Sorry to bother you again THO (and by extension perhaps Ed), but i was just browsing through my 3rd Edition campaign setting and i noticed in the entry for Archendale several references to a nobility. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but i was sure that all the previous sources (The Dalelands, Volo's Guide to the same) make no mention of a distinct noble class in Archendale. Am i to infer that what is meant is an unofficial merchant nobility in the same sense as Sembia, or is there a real state sanctioned nobility a la Cormyr?

How about the other dales? Are there such things as Dales aristocracies or are there simply no titles (other than those given to the overall rulers) in each dale?

Thanks again for your time, and the previous answers to my Tharsult queries.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  22:29:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring you now the words of Ed, to the query from Melfius about what types of games Halaster enjoys:

I envision Halaster as knowing the rules of many Faerunian games (see my comments earlier in this thread for rules of some games played in the Realms), but having no interest whatsoever in dice, card, and other ‘primarily gambling’ sorts of games. I see him as being fairly good at, but essentially bored by, strategy board games (chess, et al). The reason for this is that his primary fascination and delight lies in judging character and successfully figuring out how to manipulate and ‘out-think’ opponents (for which read: any creature he wants to manipulate). Yes, ‘brute blasting spells’ can engender fear, and fear can move many an adventurer in Undermountain (greed and overconfident pride moves many of the rest), but over the years Halaster became used to matching wits with rulers who commanded many resources (including capable agents) and mages and sorcerers who had great personal mental strength -- and such struggles are what interest him most. As strategy board games don’t allow for manipulation of the minds of individual playing-pieces, and the games themselves are abstract struggles that have no lasting effect in the real-life Realms, Halaster sees them as time-wasters -- and he values even his idle moments as time too valuable to waste.

So saith Ed. Melfius, I’ll try to have my own reply for you later re. the Knights’ few encounters with Halaster (the Crazed Venturers had a few, too, but I wasn’t on the scene then), after the family madness of Thanksgiving is well past.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  01:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Hooded One, you and Ed are GREAT! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  01:57:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
I'll try to post on Tharsult once I finish up some pending writing projects.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  09:36:35  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thanks Eric!

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  18:37:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
Beowulf, I’ll get to Ed as soon as I can for some more answers, but from his notes I can give you the definitive Realms answer for religious building definitions:

A "cathedral" is a temple (usually very large, prosperous, and ornate, presided over by a very high-ranking priest (the equivalent of a real-world Roman Catholic bishop, or higher).

A "temple" is a permanently, at-all-hours staffed (by ordained clergy) house of worship to a Faerunian deity or deities. Usually priests capable of raising the dead dwell and worship there. A temple always has a consecrated altar to the deity, the staff wear holy vestments and make use of consecrated items in their rituals, and regular rituals (usually several times daily) are held. Lay worshippers (the general public) are usually admitted to rituals and for religious advice, aid, or discipline. Priests are often sent forth from a temple to minister to outlying faithful and to further church business (including actual commercial businesses).

A “monastery” (“nunnery” if the clergy are female only; if mixed, the term “monastery” is usually used, the exceptions being for female deities whose clergy is predominantly female, such as Sune and Sharess) is a religious community, often walled and usually in a remote rural location, with a temple (and usually a farm or other means of self-supporting food source, like mushroom-growing caverns, alpine sheep pastures, etc., plus often a business [mill, tannery, etc.] for generating income from the sale of goods). Priests (“monks”) always dwell on site, often lifelong or for years at a time, under a strict regimen or ‘rule’ of regular rituals, prayer, and work for the deity (which often really means work to advance the wealth and influence of the priesthood, from pursuing intrigues to making medicines and liqueurs for sale).

A “shrine” is a small, simple site for worship of a deity or deities. It is usually identifiable by the symbol of the god, and its altar may be either consecrated or improvised. It may or may not have a staff; many shrines are maintained by reclusive hermits or local lay worshippers, and only visited by traveling priests for cleansing, renewal, and collection of any offerings that may have been left there.
Shrines to some deities (depending on the deity) may have caches of healing potions, holy water (or unholy water), or items consecrated to the god (holy symbols, weapons blessed by the priests of Tempus in a shrine to Tempus, dice blessed by the priests of Tymora in a shrine of Tymora, etc.).
Shrines don’t usually have resident (staff) priests, but some faiths ‘man’ them with month-long shifts of clergy dwelling onsite.

A “chapel” is a small shrine or temple attached to a larger structure, or enclosed within its walls (e.g. a stone building within or built against the inside of a castle). In royal castles, ruling courts, or the keeps of the nobility, it’s quite often a room or rooms within the larger structure. Sometimes, chapels are reserved exclusively for the use of a royal or noble family, and their existence may even be kept secret from the wider world.

So saith Ed. Who hopefully will be replying in person again soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I've been rereading my box sets and I was curious about something in El's Ecologies. Who is Elminster's great-nephew thats mentioned in the story, in the first booklet, about the lichling? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  04:49:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
I bring you now two brief inglorious moments from the annals of the Knights of Myth Drannor: our encounters with Halaster.
A portal in the ruins of the Halls of the Beast-Tamers in Myth Drannor whisked us to a certain l-o-o-o-ng hallway on the ‘first’ level of Undermountain. With collective hearty bad feelings about our unintended trip into unfamiliar subterranean unpleasantness strong in our minds, we encountered a Harper of our acquaintance running full-tilt towards us, ward-spell after ward-spell shattering at her heels. She cried out a warning to us, and Jhessail cast a spell The Simbul had given her in payment for timely aid, that twisted the Harper’s last remaining ward into a spell-reflection magic, hurling whatever magic was sent against it back at the source.
The ward promptly vanished in a crackling of energies as the expected attack-spell struck it, the Harper seized the moments she’d been given to teleport away -- and the reflected spell slammed into its caster with a satisfactory Undermountain-shaking blast.
Whereupon that caster chuckled, and I knew we were in REAL trouble. Had Dove not been with us, to call on her sisters for aid and bring both Laeral and Alustriel onto the scene, Halaster would very probably have transformed the fabled Knights into smears of blood on the passage walls in the space of a few breaths.
As it was, he gleefully attacked three of the Seven Sisters instead, and most of us were stunned senseless in a trice, as Dove slashed herself and used the leaking silver fire to spin a protective cage around us, keeping spells out and the passage ceiling from falling -- and Laeral and Alustriel traded ‘anything you can blast I can blast louder’ magics with the Mad Mage of Undermountain.
Now, readers of Ed’s novels (wherein he was encouraged to play up the magic-heavy aspect of the Realms) may think titanic spell-battles happen all the time in Realms sessions.
Not so. Silken threats do, yes, but intrigue rules our Realmsplay hours far more than swordplay or spell-hurling. This was an exception . . . and for days afterwards, all of us but Dove suffered from the tingling side-effects of the magical ‘sidewash:’ our bodies kept trying to ‘slip’ into other shapes, hues, and sizes. Most unsettling, and cost my character much dignity and even more ruined clothing.
Our return engagement with Halaster was a chance meeting in Skullport, wherein he beamed at the sight of us (recognizing us in an instant from the battle years before) and teleported us individually into various perils, in hopes of luring Elminster to our aid so he could ‘have it out’ with the Old Mage. El responded by teleporting a succession of monsters he’d trapped and spellbound over the years right back at Halaster, interrupting the Mad Mage’s fun and forcing him to defend himself. We fled like screaming children, which El pronounced our wisest collective act in years. We haven’t been back to Skullport since.

Now that’s quite enough remembering past horrors for me, Melfius, and I pass you now back to Ed for the rest of your answers:

As I recall, Melfius, we’ve now reached number ten in your questions (10. Where/When did Halaster begin training his apprentices?)
My reply is as follows:
A long time ago, specifically [NDA], in a [NDA] far, far away, a ragtag [NDA]
11. Who trained Halaster?
My reply: [MAJOR NDA MAJOR NDA MAJOR NDA ASSUME CONTROL ASSUME CONTROL]
Ahem. It will probably come as no surprise to you to learn that my answers to 12 (What would Halaster’s alignment have been a)when he began training his apprentices b)when he created Halaster’s Hold?) must also be the grim silence of the NDA fortress wall. (Sorry. I am, truly.)

Which brings me to Dargoth, and HIS question about Halaster (Does that mean that Halaster has now gone back to being Lawful Evil?)
Sorry, Dargoth, but that’s behind the NDA wall, too. This is one I’d love to answer, but I’m afraid silence must be my stern reply.

And so to Steven, old friend and dear. We MUST get together again sometime, somehow. Start an industry-shaking game company and get invited to GenCon as a Guest of Honor or something, willya?
And please, drop in on this thread ANY time, no forgiveness needed! Like you, I’ve never been overmuch interested in the gods themselves, because mortal player characters can never really know the truths about their natures and doings (and really, what does it matter to your character precisely what happened in the Dawn Cataclysm, anyway?). Priesthoods, yes, doctrines, of course . . . but for what it’s worth, your idea about Shar makes perfect sense. So let’s make it so (er, if someone hasn’t swiped that particular phrase already :}).
Shar’s failure to subvert Halaster--a battle that seems to have lasted many a century--WAS why Shar destroyed Ibrandul. She has her lynchpin of interest in the great dungeon of the North through the ibrandlin and those worshipers, but the difficulties with Halaster were why she didn't just leave Ibrandul to be a patsy/servant god of hers.
Done. :}
As for Halaster’s tittering and giggling: I’d say he’s over that, now, unless REALLY startled.

Which brings me to Gerath Hoan, and the subject of my business and lack of sleep: thanks for your kind words, GH. The Realms is and remains a labour of love (hey, if you saw my paycheques you’d certainly agree! :} ), but it’s one that rewards me daily, from pleased and satisfied e-mails from fellow scribes when we’ve collectively nailed down some obscure detail or other to the delight andf praises of gamers I meet at cons and here at Candlekeep. As long as all of you who love the Realms keep asking and probing and joking, I’ll keep on slinging the lore and stitching things together and buffing and polishing the result. Because I LOVE doing this, and sometimes can’t believe I can actually make a (bit of a) living doing something I love so much.
So keep buying and demanding more Realms stuff, folks, and make my old age colourful and happy. :}
I’ve just seen the Realms latest things G- - -, E- - - and R- - - are working on, for instance, and I’m VERY happy. So thanks, GH and all, for making me FEEL much appreciated.

So saith Ed. Who’ll have more to say tomorrow, because he has to put the recycling out now and cover the plants against the first frost of the season - - and he’s bone-weary after cutting down more than twenty dead trees today (with his son-in-law, who was visiting for [Canadian] Thanksgiving), to start the backup firewood pile.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  09:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
Hi I've got a question for Ed Greenwood creator of FR and Elminster, forgive me if I spelled his name wrong. I wanted to know what happened to his famous hat?, I mean it was never fully explained how he lost it. That's why I wanted to created an official FR short story intitled The Magician's Hat, in it I tell how the hat found it's new owner and how it effect his life. No people E's hat has no power it just landed on his head one day and that is that start of the story, the main character is young adult just old enough to be send to magic school, but he can't go due to his Father and the fact his family doesn't have the money to pay his way.

This short story is a teaser of my main character and hopefuly I will be able to do a series od novel featuring him and some of new companions,
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  13:19:05  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
You're more than welcome for the comments Ed, you (and THO) have done us a great service by taking the time to post answers on this thread. And you've done far, far more than that over the years by sharing this world of yours in print with us.

It makes me smile just to think of the many great years of gaming and happiness i've gotten out of the Realms, so i hope some small amount of what we all must feel makes its way back to you.

GH.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  13:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I don't think Elminster has ever worn a hat much. Certain paintings show him with one, but it's not mentioned in "All about Elminster" or FR7 or (much, at least) in the novels, and the best illustration of him (the Ned Dameron picture in FR7) doesn't show one. Elminster's hat seems to be a figment of Clyde Caldwell's imagination.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  14:34:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I don't think Elminster has ever worn a hat much. Certain paintings show him with one, but it's not mentioned in "All about Elminster" or FR7 or (much, at least) in the novels, and the best illustration of him (the Ned Dameron picture in FR7) doesn't show one. Elminster's hat seems to be a figment of Clyde Caldwell's imagination.

Kinda like that stupid gold thing on Drizzt Do'Urden's forehead. He's never been described as wearing anything like that, but as soon as one artist did it, it became an almost-official part of his appearance.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  17:25:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard

Hi I've got a question for Ed Greenwood creator of FR and Elminster, forgive me if I spelled his name wrong. I wanted to know what happened to his famous hat?, I mean it was never fully explained how he lost it. That's why I wanted to created an official FR short story intitled The Magician's Hat, in it I tell how the hat found it's new owner and how it effect his life. No people E's hat has no power it just landed on his head one day and that is that start of the story, the main character is young adult just old enough to be send to magic school, but he can't go due to his Father and the fact his family doesn't have the money to pay his way.

This short story is a teaser of my main character and hopefuly I will be able to do a series od novel featuring him and some of new companions,

I believe Ed has said in the past, either jokingly or not, that Elminster lost it when he went to Hell. :) But Ed might say otherwise when he replies with his own words.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  16:49:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring you the words of Ed on matters chapeaux:

Elminster has worn various hats down the years (most of them as part of his various disguises), but Faraer is correct: the hat was largely a creation of the TSR Art Department (long robes, beard, pointy hat, staff = wizard). Check Ned Dameron's interior art for El at the Magefair, and the art in the FR comic issues 7 and 8, for the 'right' look for El, most of the time [note the tall/gaunt appearance, LONG hair and beard].
The decision to change Elminster's look was made by WotC for 3rd edition; I heard the words "look less like Gandalf," but I have no idea if it was because WotC was then bidding for the LOTR card game license or not. And, yes, the Brand Manager of the day decreed that "El lost his hat when going through the dimensional rift into Hell." He meant destroyed, not 'strayed.'
Myself, I don't mind what Elminster looks like as long as Realms readers, gamers, and fans know it's Elminster (most of the time :}). After all, he can alter his appearance at will. So long as we have an in-game reason for why he decides to appear in a particular guise, I'm fine.
Now, writing a story that uses Elminster's hat is fine for your own entertainment, but of course it's NOT okay for publication, and WotC holds the copyright and will probably defend it. Note that "publication" DOES include posting it here or anywhere on the Net, distributing it to your friends, and even reading it aloud. Sorry. Mr. Phil Athans handles the Realms fiction at WotC, and Mr. Peter Archer manages all of the book lines (I can never keep up with their current formal titles), so they would be the ones to contact for permission, but I'm afraid I don't expect that you'll receive it. Sorry.
Note that you could very well HINT that the hat "fell from the sky, through a rift reeking of brimstone" without ever mentioning Elminster or Shadowdale (or any other Realms locale or character by name; don't use the name of the world or setting, either), and thereby be free to publish it, but please be careful.
(I personally don't have any problems with folks writing Realms stories, but it's not up to me, and WotC does have trademarks and the brand associated with them to protect. I daydream of things like an Elminster iPod, wherein the Old Mage would interrupt insipid songs with an exasperated, "Ye're not going to rot thy ears and mind with THIS tripe again, are ye?" . . . but 'tis just that: a daydream.)

So saith Ed. Who's still frantically busy (book launch this Saturday, short story due before then, and -- oh yes -- a Knights of Myth Drannor novel to get done.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  17:26:12  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message
quote:

daydream of things like an Elminster iPod, wherein the Old Mage would interrupt insipid songs with an exasperated, "Ye're not going to rot thy ears and mind with THIS tripe again, are ye?" . . . but 'tis just that: a daydream.)

That has got to be one the funniest things I've ever heard

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  03:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
Well I know that WOTC would have to approve of my short fiction story, and I like the idea of E's Hat falling out of the sky from rift opened in Hell. You see as far as my character knows that Hat landed on his head by gust of wind,

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
Sorry for the short notice, but I've just received word that, as part of noticing World D&D Day on Saturday (during which Ed will be at BakkaPhoenix Books in Toronto from 3 pm on, launching a fantasy anthology, SUMMONED TO DESTINY, that he has a novelette in), Ed Greenwood will be the guest on Alan Neal's phone-in show on Radio One, on CBC (Canada's national radio network), from 1-2 pm tomorrow (Friday).
So you can call in and speak to the Great One directly. :}
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Oct 2004 15:30:47
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  15:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Thank ye for sharing this information with us, Hooded One.
If any scribes herein manage to obtain a recording of this interview, then please contact me in order that we can make it available at Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Thank ye for sharing this information with us, Hooded One.
If any scribes herein manage to obtain a recording of this interview, then please contact me in order that we can make it available at Candlekeep.

You can listen to it on the internet here http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html
just select toronto.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  19:30:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Adam/BobROE,
just a quick question: you say "select Toronto."
Does it make any difference that the show originates from Ottawa? I can't remember if this phone-in is network-wide, or is different regionally (across Ontario).
I do know that Ed will be sitting in a studio in Kingston (ina basement at Queen's University, actually), rather than actually in Ottawa OR Toronto. The host, Alan Neal, will be in the Ottawa studio, I think.
This was set up on short notice, and Ed hates trying to get to the (Toronto) Broadcasting Centre, in the Land of $25 Parking, in a building known for its crazy security checks and card-keys that fail to unlock the doors they're supposed to (many shows have gone to air without their guests, who are trapped in some other part of the building unable to reach the right studio!).
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  19:44:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

We've been having a debate that's gone on for 13 pages now over on the WOTC boards. It is about the amount of evil in FR and WOTC's influence towards it. Do you believe in WOTC run FR that evil is not as "balanced" or active as the states/nations/coutries/towns, etc, that are run or ruled over by the forces of "good."

A few posters, who only have the 3e FR sourcebooks, are concerned that evil isn't as active or powerful as the good or evil groups and that good groups overpower the evil groups. I was just curious about your thoughts on the balance of good groups vs. evil groups in WOTC run FR.

Edit: Also if possible, can you detail how evil works on your own games and what thier influences are? So we can have a comparison between the canon setting by WOTC and your version. :) *Innocent smile*

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Oct 2004 19:47:06
Go to Top of Page

ijkay
Acolyte

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  21:29:57  Show Profile Send ijkay a Private Message
Well met all

I've been lurking about for a while but decided its high time to delurk and ask a couple of questions.

First off, I'd like to ditto the many others, and say thank you to Ed (and the Hooded One for acting as his voice) for all of these glorious tidbits about the Realms.

That done, question one:

Can we ask questions about some of your Wizards web published material, when I suspect not all of the material you provided has been used in the 'publication' in its present form. Case in point is the recent Nimbral material. (very cool stuff by the way) When the series is finished can you answer clarifying questions without violating your NDA? Or does the 'extra' non-published portions generally prevent you from doing so.

Question 2

In Volo's guide to Cormyr under the entry for Juniril, you mention a ruined temple to Helm. You state the temple was never rebuilt due to the 'Curse of the Blood Royal'. However I don't quite understand from the related story how the temple came to be ruined, and why the curse would prevent the temple from being rebuilt.

Ian Franks

"So I thought to myself who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone, I'm going to be a Pirate on the River Saskatchewan!", The Arrogant Worms
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  21:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ijkay
In Volo's guide to Cormyr under the entry for Juniril, you mention a ruined temple to Helm. You state the temple was never rebuilt due to the 'Curse of the Blood Royal'. However I don't quite understand from the related story how the temple came to be ruined, and why the curse would prevent the temple from being rebuilt.
I'll summarize the issue as best I can without spoiling too much of other stories for everyone:

Kathla was the daughter of King Galaghard III and a priestess of Helm. When attacked by the described brigands, both her own bodyguard and the townsfolk who leapt to her defense were all slain, leaving the Princess to be transfixed to the doors of the temple by a sword. She cried out a dying curse, and the temple itself exploded into shards of light, each of which became a sword impaling one of the bandits.

Just what the Curse of the Blood Royal is isn't clear, but there are many rumors about it. Some say that places where royal blood is spilt should be left as they are, never to be rebuilt or to have stones erected. Others say that to rebuild Helms Everpresent Shield would be to bring a curse down on the Royal House, reversing Kathla's dying wish and thus restoring a danger to those of royal blood (though obviously not these same, long-dead brigands). Still others say that Volo made it up. What it comes down to, however, is mainly this: a priestess and a princess both commanded the temple destroyed to avenge the shedding of royal blood, and none, save those of the status of Helm's Daughter (as Kathla was known), may reverse that command.
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  23:25:03  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:

Adam/BobROE,
just a quick question: you say "select Toronto."
Does it make any difference that the show originates from Ottawa? I can't remember if this phone-in is network-wide, or is different regionally (across Ontario).
I do know that Ed will be sitting in a studio in Kingston (ina basement at Queen's University, actually), rather than actually in Ottawa OR Toronto. The host, Alan Neal, will be in the Ottawa studio, I think.
This was set up on short notice, and Ed hates trying to get to the (Toronto) Broadcasting Centre, in the Land of $25 Parking, in a building known for its crazy security checks and card-keys that fail to unlock the doors they're supposed to (many shows have gone to air without their guests, who are trapped in some other part of the building unable to reach the right studio!).
THO

No idea, I made the (obviously faulty) assumption it was going through the toronto office. Ok then, select Ottawa. I shouldn't make a difference since we're getting it over the internet. Shows just may be on at different times in different cities (don't see why they would since they're both in the same time zone).
Go to Top of Page

ijkay
Acolyte

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  23:29:30  Show Profile Send ijkay a Private Message
Can you give a reference(s) of where the below comes from?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Kathla was the daughter of King Galaghard III and a priestess of Helm. When attacked by the described brigands, both her own bodyguard and the townsfolk who leapt to her defense were all slain, leaving the Princess to be transfixed to the doors of the temple by a sword. She cried out a dying curse, and the temple itself exploded into shards of light, each of which became a sword impaling one of the bandits.

Just what the Curse of the Blood Royal is isn't clear, but there are many rumors about it. Some say that places where royal blood is spilt should be left as they are, never to be rebuilt or to have stones erected. Others say that to rebuild Helms Everpresent Shield would be to bring a curse down on the Royal House, reversing Kathla's dying wish and thus restoring a danger to those of royal blood (though obviously not these same, long-dead brigands). Still others say that Volo made it up. What it comes down to, however, is mainly this: a priestess and a princess both commanded the temple destroyed to avenge the shedding of royal blood, and none, save those of the status of Helm's Daughter (as Kathla was known), may reverse that command.

Ian Franks

"So I thought to myself who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone, I'm going to be a Pirate on the River Saskatchewan!", The Arrogant Worms
Go to Top of Page

Jabbakuk
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  23:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Jabbakuk's Homepage Send Jabbakuk a Private Message
Greetings all,

Got a question to any who wish to answer - especially Mr. Greenwood.

Are there any plans for novels dealing with drow or other underdark denizens in future Elminster novels? If not, how come!?!

Beside Silverfall and a few other novels referring to drow, illithids, beholders and phaerimm - Mr. Greenwood has never ( to my knowledge ) divulged much info about the underdark and its diverse and powerful dwellers. I find it would be fitting to expand about their goings and histories - especially considering Ed's writing style.

Jabbakuk
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  23:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
ijkay, I can only provide references for some of it. The tale comes from a combination of Volo's Guide to Cormyr, the behind-the-scenes notes we lore-forgers use to keep Cormyr's history straight (and which we continually revise and re-revise to ensure we aren't contradicting any print information), and my own understanding of Cormyr and the House Obarskyr. There is much that has not been revealed about Cormyr's history, and perhaps the most powerful (from the perspective of its citizens) is the mystical connection between the land itself and the people and creatures that inhabit it.

That said, I have many, many notes on Cormyr, and have had quite a few conversations with Ed on the Forest Kingdom. I'll leave it to him to define the Curse of the Blood Royal (assuming his take is different from mine), but beyond VGtC, no one has really gone into it just yet.

As for the rumor that Volo made it up, well, plenty of people think Volo makes everything up...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000