Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So about that global warming...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2014 :  21:27:15  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So we have the madin of frost for 5e, sending down the winter to freeze things over.

What religion or organization, do you think on faerun, would deny that it is happening, and nothing magical about it?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2014 :  23:38:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And please keep real-world politics out of the discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2014 :  23:46:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don‘t know anything about this 5E event.

But note events in past Realmslore where an endless magical winter came to the land ... the Ring of Winter, the Crystal Shard (to a lesser extent), even the creeping glaciers of the North. Good old Zhengyi had something going, too, which seemingly froze big chunks of Vaasa. And there‘s always some portal to an icy elemental demiplane or some self-proclaimed bigwig genasi/elementalist mucking around with cold.

These things typically concern only inhabitants local to the region - the Realms by and large is hardly aware or interested (or able) to contest it. Sometimes one of the much-vaunted Chosen decides to put other ‘pressing matters‘ on hold long enough to step in and properly address the issue.

Methinks little Auril Frostmaiden has always been given short shrift in the Realms. A little cold is good for the soul.

But this entire endless-winter trope is thematically dull, Disney and Narnia already been there and done that. I perservere in my hope that those annoying pointy-eared fey folk leave for warmer climes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  01:22:48  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves would probably be very reluctant to pay such tales any heed. They mostly dwell underground, anyway.

If anything, it might drive more of the surface-foraying ones back below, not so much for fear of surface happenings, but out of respect for the old ways.

"Bah! W'at've we been fiddlin' aroond wit' dhese girly-men of dhe wood fer all dhis toime, fer, anyway?!"

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  05:30:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

So we have the madin of frost for 5e, sending down the winter to freeze things over.
What religion or organization, do you think on faerun, would deny that it is happening, and nothing magical about it?
Some sort of elves probably. They tend to be out it a little. "What Ice Age? It's getting hot! A-choo! Hot, I say!"

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2014 :  18:49:02  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

A religion that worships FOXes. Where the followers generally beleive what FOXes say must be true.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2014 :  20:50:34  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Careful Mournblade. Heed the Wooly One.

1485 is only the first year of the Frostmaiden's Winter. Faerûn has has many freak winters before so I very much doubt that it's received any significant attention beyond what one of those previous freak winters have in the past yet.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  00:46:35  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And please keep real-world politics out of the discussion.

We should talk about the 3 partitions of Thesk by Rashemen, Thay, and Aglarond.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  09:26:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Careful Mournblade. Heed the Wooly One.
The funny folk from certain faction of certain place are convinced that "somebody should lay the law" for everyone else and they are cuddly little marysues to whom it should not apply. Which is exactly why they are so eager, of course.

quote:
1485 is only the first year of the Frostmaiden's Winter. Faerûn has has many freak winters before so I very much doubt that it's received any significant attention beyond what one of those previous freak winters have in the past yet.
Of course, but elves try to think in centuries. And they have a habit of ignoring little things that inconvenience them as something beneath their notice, if otherwise they would have to actually think. You know, like - "Oh, those humans? Don't mind them, they will go away."

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  22:52:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methinks mere winter - no matter how remarkably harsh, barren, cold, and long it may be - is just not quite as noteworthy and memorable as, say, having magical blue storms rip half your world apart every time that goddess gets herself killed again.

There are so many things, bad, horrible, unbelievable things, which occur in the Realms that it seems to me a particularly snowy winter season just won‘t be a topic which much concerns anybody once it‘s come and gone.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  00:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not knowing what's going on with Legacy of the Crystal Shard, I'd say segments of the common population would deny it. There would be the occasional superstitious man that would blame the cold on gods, but there'd also be the common sense, no nonsense house wife that would say it was just a harsh winter. Harsher than expected, but nonetheless it would take more than a fooled squirrel or rabbit (that didn't store a lot of nuts, or grow a thicker coat, respectively) to convince her a god changed the weather.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000