Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 I need more infor about Ghaunadaur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vickrandom
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  14:00:36  Show Profile Send Vickrandom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, i'm having my first experience running a campaign as DM set in FR.

I have only the basic books but sometimes i pick some intel from internet on forums and wikipages.

I know that a lot of people just hate FR 4e and i'm not here to discuss it, since i never had the chance to play the old versions.

Anyway, reading my books, of all gods that i've seen, the one that made me more interested about was Ghaunadaur. I'm preparing my players to face Ghaunadaur church, but i'm having trouble to find info about this god's lore.

I know he is old, and from far realm. But i want to know if there is any official material talking about any scheme he has or anything like it.

Everything will help me, since saying in which book i can find it, or even if you just tell me "random facts" about him on this post.

Thanks for your att guys =D

hocus pocus

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  15:16:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this is 2nd Edition however provides some information that might be useful: http://trismegist.narod.ru/de_ghaunadaur_eng.html

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  15:37:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the Lady Penitent series has a bit in it about Llurth Dreier, a city ruled by Ghaunadaur worshipping drow. The priests would lead raids against other houses to capture slaves. During the sacrifice ceremony, the high priest would turn into an ooze and absorb or eat the captive. Quite disgusting.

In that city, they seemed to want to work towards The Great Devouring, where Ghaunadaur or his avatar would be roused from the pit and claim all in some sort of apocalyptic sacrifice. I used that idea in my group's drow campaign and had priests of Ghaundaur call up oozes, slimes, and other horrors from the Moondeep Sea when that drow city was still newly founded. They ravaged, devoured, and ate drow, slaves, buildings, pretty much everything near the lakeshore district, turning it into an acid scarred ruin before they were barely turned back. As the city rebuilt, it eventually became the docks and slums.

In short, the church of Ghaunadaur is disgusting and most vile. Personally, worse than many of the other deities, Lolth included as far as I'm concerned.
Go to Top of Page

Vickrandom
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  15:51:05  Show Profile Send Vickrandom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, anywhere else that i can find more info about this greater god?

hocus pocus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  16:09:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have the 2E book Demihuman Deities? That will give you the most info about him. There is also a lot of info on him in the original The Drow of the Underdark book, by our own Ed Greenwood.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  13:25:11  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghaunadaur, toward the end of 3e and throughout 4e, was being presented as the Realms' version of the Elder Elemental Evil (examples from other settings being Tharizdun and Obox-Ob) but this does Ghaunadaur a great injustice in my view. I see him as either insane or an alien intellect, sure but at at the same time, he's also capable of love, generosity and fatherliness. That makes him so much more than just another "I'm going to destroy the world for very little reason" BBEG.

Ghaunadaur was an ancient deity of oozes and fungoid creatures. When the elven goddess Araushnee was transformed into a demon (and later regained godhood), he fell madly, passionately in love with her. But she spurned him (presumably for his appearance) and in a fit of rage he stole the intelligence of the vast majority of his worshipers, reducing them to the monsters adventurers fight to this day. The sudden lack of worshipers also reduced Ghaunadaur from being a greater power to being a lesser power. He set up shop in the Demonweb Pits to be close to his beloved and began attracting drow to follow him.

You probably know the rest from your 4e sources but there's also more out there to research yourself.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 04 Mar 2014 13:26:08
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2014 :  12:23:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Do you have the 2E book Demihuman Deities? That will give you the most info about him. There is also a lot of info on him in the original The Drow of the Underdark book, by our own Ed Greenwood.

I think the link given by Kentinal is the transcription of Ghaunadar's Demihuman Deities entry. As for the Drow of the Underdark, it can be nice to read, but since it is an older source, part of its info must be repeated, and part was probably reviewed in the newer source above.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zulkir of Evocation
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  14:50:03  Show Profile Send Zulkir of Evocation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vickrandom

Well, i'm having my first experience running a campaign as DM set in FR.

I have only the basic books but sometimes i pick some intel from internet on forums and wikipages.

I know that a lot of people just hate FR 4e and i'm not here to discuss it, since i never had the chance to play the old versions.

Anyway, reading my books, of all gods that i've seen, the one that made me more interested about was Ghaunadaur. I'm preparing my players to face Ghaunadaur church, but i'm having trouble to find info about this god's lore.

I know he is old, and from far realm. But i want to know if there is any official material talking about any scheme he has or anything like it.

Everything will help me, since saying in which book i can find it, or even if you just tell me "random facts" about him on this post.

Thanks for your att guys =D

Ghaunadaur is referred to as "The Ancient One." God of slimes and oozes. He is from the Far Realm (aberrant, which is also where illithids, aboleths and beholders come from). The laws of reality, time and space that govern the Realms have no hold in the Far Realm. He is older than Ao himself. He is a chaotic evil greater god whose plane is the Dismal Caverns. As mentioned above, the last book in the Lady Penitent series features an avatar of Ghaunadaur rising from the Pit. It's a slime-creature with eyestalks that shoot rays, much like a beholder. It is trapped however, after a Nightshadow lured it into a maze.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000