Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5th edition release date leaked
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  21:54:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DW: You're assuming WotC will be that smart. In the past they haven't been. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see them go that route...but I wont be holding my breath. I mean, they haven't even been able to maintain a solid website (numerous problems over the years).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  23:09:19  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's a good thing I am well paid because if I wasn't, then I most likely wouldn't buy it.

OTOH, I am worried about the starter set because the last one was absolute shite. The Pathfinder starter is how you are supposed to do it.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 03 Mar 2014 23:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  00:12:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me the one good thing about the PHB price point is it gives me an idea of what the cost of the 5E Forgotten Realms Hardcover will be.

Realms books are traditionally sold at a premium, so I expect a book in the ~$60-$70 price range.

As someone who plays D&D with 3.5 rules, the value of 5E to me is not in the new rules set, but in the content of new Realms products, because that is what I can port into any Realms campaign I run in the future.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 04 Mar 2014 00:13:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  04:50:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

For me the one good thing about the PHB price point is it gives me an idea of what the cost of the 5E Forgotten Realms Hardcover will be.

Realms books are traditionally sold at a premium, so I expect a book in the ~$60-$70 price range.

As someone who plays D&D with 3.5 rules, the value of 5E to me is not in the new rules set, but in the content of new Realms products, because that is what I can port into any Realms campaign I run in the future.

Unless I am mistaken, the various campaign books/boxed sets have been about the same price as the core books, not more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  05:54:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My comment above was indicative of 3E forward. Apologies for assuming everyone new that's where I was coming from.

It's my understanding, based on commentary from Ryan Dancey and Sean K Reynolds, that 3E Realms sourcebooks were always sold at a premium over their non-Realms counterparts. Likewise with the "starter" books over their core rulebook counterparts.

However, it's possible that the FRCS (for 3E) may have been an exception, also the FRCG for 4E.

When I get a chance I'll compare the prices.

EDIT:

OK, the list price for the 3E FRCS was $39.95. Likewise the 4E FRCG.

The core rulebooks list price for 3E was $19.95 and 4E at $34.95.

So while 4E's core rulebook prices went up from the 3E prices, the price for the FR hardback for each edition stayed the same.

It'd sure be nice if WotC's list price for the 5E Realms campaign guide was the same as that for the 5E core rulebooks, but I'm not betting on it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 04 Mar 2014 07:08:06
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  11:29:29  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Markus on this one. I get the distinct impression Wizards still haven't grasped that many regard them as the RPG equivalent of EA and that they'll have to do some serious price point grovelling to win back a market that at best is indifferent and at worst bitter.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  12:45:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

The D&D Next PHB preorder is currently going for $49.95 $37.96 (24% off from list price) and B&N.

Comparable to the top RPGs of the last quarter:

- Pathfinder Core Rulebook at $32.57 (34% off), which has been out for a few years.

- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire at $44.00 (26% off, list price at $59.95!).

- 4E PHB is $22.11 (36% off from list).

The biggest selling point to the Pathfinder Core Rulebook (in my mind, anyway) is that, for the price of a Player's Handbook, you're getting the DMG thrown into the book for free.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  13:39:00  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW the PHB page is no longer available at B&N, only the D&D Starter set is.

Perhaps price and/or release date was inacurate ?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/noresults?ean=9780786965601&isbn=9780786965601&product.urlkeywords=d+d+playerss+handbook+wizards+rpg+team&workid=1118612271

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  18:09:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps someone decided I/we was right, and that they need an 'introductory price' to bring the people back in droves?

I hope so - they need to price the first D&Dnext book in such a way that people WON'T CARE if its good or not. Price it too high (average price for other company's products, or more), and people won't even bother buying it, simply becuase they already have something they are happy with, and they left D&D because they were unhappy in the first place. At that oint, it won't matter if 5e is good or not, because no-one will know it. It would have to be a whole 'nother level of awesome to overcome that (in other words, the people who DO take a look at it starting shouting from the rooftops how good it is).

So its either pure GOLD, or they price it in such a way people will just buy it to see what the deal is (and if it IS good, they then buy all future products). Thats a big risk they are taking if they are banking on it being the amazing edition they are hoping it will be. Even if they do a 'first 30 days gets $10 off' deal (or a pre-purchase thing), it will give it the shot-in-the-arm it so desperately needs.

The weird thing is, at this point in time, I definitely see myself running D&Dnext... but 5eFR? Not so much.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  18:55:25  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now the D&D Starter Set is also gone

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/noresults?ean=9780786965595&isbn=9780786965595&product.urlkeywords=d+d+starter+set+wizards+rpg+team&workid=1118613016

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 04 Mar 2014 18:55:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000