Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stag King & his people in recent Rashemi novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  15:19:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't recall, but in the recent Rashemi novel, they introduced someone that I think was called the Stag King who had all these stag headed followers. I was wondering, did they ever give any information in other books maybe about where these "stag people" were from? I'm just noting them and thinking they fit very well with the concept we were discussing a few months ago about the Unapproachable East long ago being a "fey" "spirit realm".

I then found in the horde boxed set that there is listed a reindeer headed race of people called the Shatjan who live more in the colder environs... but I'm thinking they would have been a great race for the area. There was also the Actaeon from the 2nd edition Mystara Monstrous Compedium... but since the Shatjan is specifically a realmsian creature, I figured this would be the best resource.

Anyway, my main questions were
A) was there maybe some 4th edition resource that details this stag headed people?
B) Is there anywhere else that these Shatjan creatures get some lore?

This would put the quaggoth race (before being forced under the earth) as the bear people in the spirit realms, various dog peoples such as wolfweres, foxwomen, gnolls, Lythari, plus centaurs, plus catfolk (and I've favored a wemic-like but more lynx and less lion tauric cat person), plus hybsils (centaur-like deer people), plus the Shatjan as possibly a more militant version of the smaller hybsils. Throwing in minotaurs and manotaurs as another culture would seem to fit.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  16:58:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, delved a little more. It seems that the Stag King's people per "the masked witches" page 101 were born of three elven maidens who mated with the stag king in return for his saving their people (a few generations later, these elves were producing stag headed children). Doesn't say when it happened, so I'd say that the Shatjan are born of one of these mothers. Definitely now I'd place the Stag King as one of the lost Yuir "gods"..... and have his people be from what we were referring to as the "Spirit Realms" of the East. These elves would be some of the pre-cursors of the Lythari and would be green elves.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  23:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sleyvas, Ed has been putting stag-headed arcane spellcasters into his Realms fiction for YEARS. Early Elminster novels (Temptation, I think, though I'm away from my books right now and can't check). Always left mysterious . . . but there. So these didn't come out of nowhere.
BB
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  12:46:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested in the references. I seem to recall antlered men (Possibly the master of the hunt). I kind of have an interest for the "beast-mix" of humanoids and/or taurics of the realms, so I'd like to actually find which ones are out there (for instance how I'd never realized that they had these Shatjan reindeer headed people until recently).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000