Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragonlance 30th Anniversary!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  11:48:58  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Thirty years ago this March, the world of Krynn debuted in the Dragonlance series of adventures and novels. There have been quite a few twists and turns in the years since -- and today we offer a brief history of one of D&D’s most innovative settings!

I know there is a fair share of Dragonlance fans among scribes that will undoubtly rejoyce!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4alum/20140221

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 21 Feb 2014 11:54:31

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  11:53:37  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy 30th anniversary Dragonlance! I started with Tales of the Lance in the 90's and had great adventures on Ansalon since then, which i continue to visit from time to time...

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  14:20:25  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am terribly remiss in this regard.

My friends were all picking up Dragonlance, and I never bothered when I was in 7th grade.

There are a few worlds of D&D I know nothing about, like Eberron, but I don't feel like I missed anything by not following Eberron.

I only ever knew Dragonlance through RPG Source material, and never the novels.

The first TSR novel I ever read was Darkwalker on Moonshae. I could try to catch up with DL novels, but between my newborn little girl, FR reading, Star Wars, Marvel,and video games, I need the universe to add 3 more hours to the day.

Congratulations Dragonlance!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  14:23:00  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading that article I must take that back!

My First TSR Novels were the Rose Estes Endless Quest books. One of my favorites was Villains of Volturnus for Star Frontiers.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  16:31:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

After reading that article I must take that back!

My First TSR Novels were the Rose Estes Endless Quest books. One of my favorites was Villains of Volturnus for Star Frontiers.

The Endless Quest stuff was also my intro to TSR books. I don't recall any of the details, but I know I read Villains of Volturnus. I originally got into those books from a love of the Choose Your Own Adventure line; after reading all of those I could find, I branched out into similar books from other publishers. It was a while after that, though, before I got into the Dragonlance books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  17:02:42  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Dragonlance at 30 and D&D at 40, this is going to be a crazy year at Gencon!

I too was a lover of all things Krynn before I was a lover of all things Realms. My first fantasy novels were the Chronicles of Narnia, but the first six novels of the Dragonlance Saga were my first introduction to D&D specific literature, and as you can see from my avatar they clearly had a pretty significant impact on me...

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  17:07:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was younger I didn't mind DragonLance, although I had good friends who were great fans of the setting. Some years after that I started reading and looking their game materials (the classics, mostly), and now I think it is a very good setting. Congratulations to Weis & Hickman for their wonderful fantasy world.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raistlin is still my all time fave character.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2014 :  03:10:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My, my... where does the time go?

DRAGONLANCE was my first foray into the world of role-playing games. And it was also my first sampling of TSR-oriented fiction as well.

I distinctly recall the somewhat awkwardly mild day I picked up both the first DL module and novel from the [then] very local book/gaming store. I looked at the covers of both sources and suddenly thought about all the different ways I could re-interpret this stuff using my [again, then] child-era imagination. [Dragons as big as a moon? Oh, little, little, Sage, you're never going to get away with that. ]

Happy birthday, DRAGONLANCE, you've brought inspiration and creativity for me during every one of those thirty years of your gaming life. .

Here's to the next [hopefully, Wizards pending] thirty years!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1844 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2014 :  04:32:58  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Greyhawk was my first experience with DnD. I had a wild affair with Dragonlance afterwards though. The War of the Lance and Legends of the Twins were my first real forays into fantasy novel reading and I was hooked. Raistlin still ranks up there with my favorite characters of all time (maybe even THE favorite).

But nothing can touch the Realms as originally published in the late 80s/OGB days. NOTHING. And that's from someone who really enjoyed the Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Eberron campaigns (I liked the Planescape and Spelljammer line as well, just not quite as much).

Congrats to DL and DnD on their birthdays this year!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2014 :  08:15:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a happy birthday to the setting, even though I haven't followed the development for years its still among my favourites.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000