Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What novel would you like to see published?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  20:16:41  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

I don't know if WotC still read these, but I'd like to ask the forum.

What novel would you like to see published? What region would it concern, or what adventurer(s)? Personally, I'm part of a large group who still hope beyond hope to see Elaine Cunningham's return - and the continuation of the Claunober story, at the least. I'm on my 3rd copy of Elfshadow - and those characters always take me to a great place.

However, I'd also love to see something akin to the Avatar series, concerning the interactions of deities with mortals. I'd also welcome a story set in Shadowdale, or near it - a return to the sort of lighthearted fantasy (A la Ed Greenwood's "Stormlight") which enamored me with the Realms in the first place.

What about you?

"Say nice doggie, but keep looking for a rock..."
~Chiun

Edited by - SteelGandalf on 12 Feb 2014 20:18:10

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  21:46:15  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves. I'd like to see Ed take us to the dwarves of Earthfast or Citadel Felbarr or some such. A new Knights of Myth Drannor novel when they battle the drow of the Twisted Tower would be fun too. But I'm not picky, I read everything Ed writes for the Realms, partially for the story, and partially for all the Realms lore I can pick out. Win-win!

I'm with you on Elaine. I'd love to see the next Liriel installment, Arilyn novel, or even Evermeet 2: The Voyage to 5E etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  22:02:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteelGandalf

Hey all,

I don't know if WotC still read these, but I'd like to ask the forum.

Keep in mind, we are not officially associated with WotC. Many folks working for WotC have been here, over the years, but usually in a personal capacity.

quote:
Originally posted by SteelGandalf

What novel would you like to see published? What region would it concern, or what adventurer(s)? Personally, I'm part of a large group who still hope beyond hope to see Elaine Cunningham's return - and the continuation of the Claunober story, at the least. I'm on my 3rd copy of Elfshadow - and those characters always take me to a great place.

I'd love to see Elaine, or the writing duo of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak return to the Realms.

I don't have much more specific than that, since most of what I'd like to see would be in the 2E/3E era, and WotC has avoided, for the most part, delving into the past with Realms novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  22:32:12  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a trilogy about the return of the Drow Pantheon.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  23:21:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms has a rich history. I'd love to see novels set in the past. Steven Schend writing something set during the time of the Shoon Empire, Ed writing about Netheril, Erik writing about early Westgate, Brian Cortijo getting to write a novel set in Cormyr (wouldn't we all love to read more about the machinations of Gorauna?) - the list is endless. If people in the real world can still write fiction about ancient Rome or Alexander the Great or the Napoleonic Wars, why can't we do the same in the Realms?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  23:30:10  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GK, that's an excellent thought - imagine a novel detailing the fall of Netheril, through the eyes of Karsus!

"Say nice doggie, but keep looking for a rock..."
~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  23:54:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The Realms has a rich history. I'd love to see novels set in the past. Steven Schend writing something set during the time of the Shoon Empire, Ed writing about Netheril, Erik writing about early Westgate, Brian Cortijo getting to write a novel set in Cormyr (wouldn't we all love to read more about the machinations of Gorauna?) - the list is endless. If people in the real world can still write fiction about ancient Rome or Alexander the Great or the Napoleonic Wars, why can't we do the same in the Realms?

-- George Krashos

I like the idea, myself, I just don't want to see the Realms handled the way Dragonlance was, for a time. When I was reading the Dragonlance books, we had the Chronicles and Legends, and then the Preludes, the Tales, and the Heroes. It went from an exciting place to one where everything had already happened, and where there was no more forward motion -- only sideways or backwards. I understand that they later picked up and started moving forward again, but by that time, I'd already gotten bored with the setting and come over to the Realms.

So I'd love to see the past explored more, but not at the expense of moving forward.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  02:40:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE to see anything written set in Zakhara.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  04:35:21  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like a novel/series about Shoon VII while he masquerades as Zallanora Argentresses. It would focus on political intrigue in Amn, Shoon's manipulation of the Cowled Wizards and possibly a confrontation with the Twisted Rune.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

Edited by - Light on 13 Feb 2014 04:36:24
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  05:09:05  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a lich save a prince/princess from paladins. Yup that's what I said, a lich hero!

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  13:03:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see more novels set in the Shining South.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  18:47:44  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard for me to pinpoint what I'd like to see written.

I do enjoy reading stories in the more exposed regions of the realms (I really liked almost all books of the Ed presents Waterdeep series), but I also love to explore regions that I know little about.

Though, who doesn't want to see their favorite authors writing new stories in the realms? Cunningham, Grubb and Novak are authors that wrote some of the best stuff in the Realms that I've read.

But I'd also like to see some of the more recent authors that aren't WotC's front line writing more stuff. Several 4E stories are stuck in limbo due to the 4E->5E transition:

- Shadowbane
- Chosen of Nendawen
- Sword of the Gods (finally something that I really liked from Bruce Cordell and we probably won't see it ever again).
- Unbroken Chain (though I'd also like to see what happens with the characters from Mistshore too)

And then there is also authors that don't have a series to finish (I think) but whose books I really liked:

- Rosemary Jones. Really fantastic books and with a tone that isn't common to Realms books but feels so right.
- Richard Baker.
- Lisa Smedman.
- Tim Pratt. Only one book but I thought it was great.

But yeah, I'm an avid reader of FR novels, so what I want the most is to see more novels being released. Hopefully the Sundering is successful enough for WotC to decide to expand their novel line again.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  16:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to read the fourth novel of the Shadowbane series.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  16:31:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

It's hard for me to pinpoint what I'd like to see written.

I do enjoy reading stories in the more exposed regions of the realms (I really liked almost all books of the Ed presents Waterdeep series), but I also love to explore regions that I know little about.

Though, who doesn't want to see their favorite authors writing new stories in the realms? Cunningham, Grubb and Novak are authors that wrote some of the best stuff in the Realms that I've read.

But I'd also like to see some of the more recent authors that aren't WotC's front line writing more stuff. Several 4E stories are stuck in limbo due to the 4E->5E transition:

- Shadowbane
- Chosen of Nendawen
- Sword of the Gods (finally something that I really liked from Bruce Cordell and we probably won't see it ever again).
- Unbroken Chain (though I'd also like to see what happens with the characters from Mistshore too)

And then there is also authors that don't have a series to finish (I think) but whose books I really liked:

- Rosemary Jones. Really fantastic books and with a tone that isn't common to Realms books but feels so right.
- Richard Baker.
- Lisa Smedman.
- Tim Pratt. Only one book but I thought it was great.

But yeah, I'm an avid reader of FR novels, so what I want the most is to see more novels being released. Hopefully the Sundering is successful enough for WotC to decide to expand their novel line again.

Tim Pratt's Venom in Her Veins was a good read. My wife is in the process of reading that one and she's hooked.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2014 :  07:48:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chosen of Nendawen was a great series. I would love to read more especially as the way it ended seemed to leave plenty of room for a sequel.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2014 :  11:25:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One novel I would like to see is where the protagonist is swept into adventure from the ranks of commoners. They don't have secret spellfire, or latent potent magical powers...just swept into adventure where they are forced to survive.

Sure, they can find a magical item or so along the way...but the novel I'm talking about is them simply going on an adventure! Not saving the world, not fighting the evil machinations of an arch-mage...simply going on an adventure after which they return home.

Home isn't destroyed or besieged by the forces of evil...they just get to come home...without carrying the ONE RING or anything...yes, just home.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

shorac
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2014 :  17:32:35  Show Profile Send shorac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow so many stories yet to be written , well id like to have the back story on zaknafein and jarlaxle, more on jander sunstar, a what if novel were raistlin meets elminster.... i know thats alil much to hope for )

.......<creator>....
Go to Top of Page

Volathar
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  15:56:01  Show Profile Send Volathar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to read novels regarding the ancient mages' young lives. Like, Szass Tam, Karsus, Halaster and etc. also about stories set in ancient Netheril (stand alone novels maybe?) and about Gods (like the Avatar series) in 5th edition..
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  17:54:06  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-lore-rich Steven Schend stuff
-Mr Kemp to continue on with the story from the Godborn
-anything from Elaine
-Artemis Entreri in a non plot-induced capacity
Most importantly:
-stuff that is more interesting than anything I would be able to come up with for a wishlist
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  19:16:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind finally seeing Salvatore's Zaknafein and Jarlaxle prequel he hinted at years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Volathar
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  15:31:05  Show Profile Send Volathar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

-Mr Kemp to continue on with the story from the Godborn
-Artemis Entreri in a non plot-induced capacity
Most importantly:

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I wouldn't mind finally seeing Salvatore's Zaknafein and Jarlaxle prequel he hinted at years ago.

I completely agree with both of you..
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  17:42:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1a) Reclamation or any Elaine novel And since we are dreaming, throw Bronwyn in there please!

1) Any Novel by Brian Cortijo..... The fact that Brain Cortijo has not yet been drafted to write a realms novel is a crime.

2) Another Mark Sehestehdt series...(sp?) loved the Nendawen books

3) Erik Scott de Bie...any novel (or series, continuation or new)...even if it were new characters in new places

4) Steven Schend.....novel about the gnomes under Waterdeep( ah Ompahr..what a character!) Especially since Steven said he enjoy writing about the Warrens.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 27 Feb 2014 17:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  20:02:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one I write.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2014 20:02:25
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  03:53:22  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like more from the Bloodstone Lands. I enjoyed that area of the Realms in Salvatore's Sellswords Trilogy. Maybe a novel about how Gareth and his companions came to power.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  22:12:26  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Evermeet style history of the Dwarves.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  03:21:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything by Elaine, about elves, or a continuation of some of the 4e series, since some good ones did come out of it, like the Hand of Nandawen or however you spell it. There are some series that didn't really...end, IMO.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  03:23:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Unbroken Chain and Sword of the Gods, as others mentioned. And a continuation of the Lady Penitent series, but that's unlikely,

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  20:19:17  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see something on the lower Vilhon Reach, i really liked Chondath and loved the The Scions of Arrabar series, I also like Jhaamdath and psionics and would love to read something about it whether it is historical lore or some form of resurgence and how such a thing would be seen by the rest of Faerun. I mean someone has to claim all that land that those two occupied right?

I also think something on Mulhorand would be great, not many interactions between that empire and the rest of Faerun, and now a lot has happened and can happen there. The same with Unther.

Go to Top of Page

shorac
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  19:28:33  Show Profile Send shorac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 4th Shadowbane book )

.......<creator>....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000