Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 abyssal plague reestablished the multiverse?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  16:47:56  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a question. So you think the abyssal plague seris restablished the forgotten realms universe connected to others ala planescape?

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  19:29:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you elaborate some please? I don't know what the abyssal plague is but will do some interwebz research.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  23:12:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the way WotC are now handling their "worlds" is there any need for a fleshed out, connected multiverse ala Planescape? The previous interconnectivity wasn't brilliant - Ed's Nine Hells work was and always will be superior to what Planescape came up with, IMO - and I felt that Planescape always made 'demands' on the individual campaign worlds that it had no right to do so. People felt like they had to explain or take into account how the Blood War impacted on the Realms, or how the 'loths fit in (the Realms having rich 'loth lore that pre-dated Planescape) or a bunch of other Planescape-specific tropes and concepts that because of Planescape's ... time to make up a word ... overarchingness, they felt they couldn't avoid.

I'm a rabid fan of the Realms (does it show?) and dislike external factors that place constraints or impose changes on the existing realmslore or realmslore to come. So things like the Abyssal Plague and the Tyranny of Dragons which are created to sell books and only tenuously linked in and explained in the the context of settings like the Realms are not my cup of tea.

So basically, I hope that the Abyssal Plague didn't connect the Realms to anything. But I'm so glad it gave my buddy Erik the chance to write an awesome novel.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Milith holder of HB8
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  17:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Milith holder of HB8's Homepage Send Milith holder of HB8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Just a question. So you think the abyssal plague seris restablished the forgotten realms universe connected to others ala planescape?

From what I've gathered from 4e, their basic idea was that each setting is its own universe. I prefer the term "cosmology", since a setting has multiple universes within it, just by the nature of the planes. In this case, the Abyssal Plague was actually from another cosmology. It was Tharzidun trying to press into Realmspace to escape his bondage.

Hey, babe, see my shiny teeth as I smile my very best wolf smile- Ed Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  23:24:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How was Shadowbane the novel even remotely connected to Tharizdun? I don't recall any links.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  23:34:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy the Realms and Realmslore for what it is. And I vastly prefer the (admittedly contrived, yet innovative and rich) alternatives presented in Planescape and Planescape lore. I even like the pseudo-symmetrical classic Gygaxian Great Wheel, fiendish warts and all.

But I feel it is Realmslore which should trump “foreign“ lore when in the Realms. The Realms is a complex and compelling world, not a mere addendum or bus stop on the way to other places through the cosmos. When in the Realms, it is Realmslore which best fits the theme and context. When in the Realms, the rules and conditions of other places shouldn‘t be a primary consideration.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  02:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Far as I'm concerned, the Realms never left the greater Great Wheel / Planescape multiverse. :)

As far as reconnecting it, the 4e core handling of Tharizdun isn't itself wholly in line with the Great Wheel Tharizdun's lore. It would be difficult IMO to reconcile the two.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  03:50:44  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I enjoy the Realms and Realmslore for what it is. And I vastly prefer the (admittedly contrived, yet innovative and rich) alternatives presented in Planescape and Planescape lore. I even like the pseudo-symmetrical classic Gygaxian Great Wheel, fiendish warts and all.

But I feel it is Realmslore which should trump “foreign“ lore when in the Realms. The Realms is a complex and compelling world, not a mere addendum or bus stop on the way to other places through the cosmos. When in the Realms, it is Realmslore which best fits the theme and context. When in the Realms, the rules and conditions of other places shouldn‘t be a primary consideration.

+100 here. I don't know what Ed's cosmology (or theory of it) was when he first started developing the Realms, but he's always used the Great Wheel from what I can recall. Planescape may have altered things somewhat...but it was still the Wheel. Regardless, I don't look at the Wheel, the Tree or any other cosmology as being 'true' rather just mortal assumptions to explain things. And I don't think the gods are too keen on setting the record straight either.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  23:04:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerûnian deities do indeed love to set the record straight. Orthodox straight, as decreed by their faith. Orthodoxy itself derived from the Greek “ortho-“ (straight) + “dox“ (opinion). Opinions differ.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000