Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What do undead get out of worship?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  11:03:02  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
They lack souls correct? Or do they? What is the process for undead when they "die"?

If they worship a god with an undead portfolio. Do they bypass the fugue plane and end up in their undead gods realm? Are they "dead" undead?For example lets say my cleric "killed" an Wight Orcus worshipper with a mace of disruption. Is that the end of it ? Or does it osomehow get reformed in Orcus' domain? What's their status?

Also what's their reward? If they are tormented beings on the prime material plane are they somehow alleviated of this when in their undead god's domain. Do they have an endless supply of negative energy to stave off there unending hunger?

When an undead is "put to rest" does this mean that their soul is intact somewhere? Does the creation of some undead actually create two separate beings - the original and then the undead offfshoot?

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  12:38:21  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the undead. A lich for example still has a soul, a ghoul or skeleton or something like this doesn't.
But then there is the Eminence of Araunt which claims otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  14:09:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Living beings consist of three parts: the body, the soul and the animus (instinct). Undead consist of only two of these parts, their corpse/body and their animus. An intelligent undead's animus usually remember parts of the memories of its soul, but their animus has a distinct influence on their personality (making most into evil beings). Wights, spectres and wraiths belong to this group. A lich or vampire retains its soul, binding it through dark arts to their bodies. Their minds are still heavily influenced by their tainted animus though.

A good clue to what happens to D&D undead in the afterlife is the 'bring back to life' series of spells. Raise Dead and Reincarnate will not work on a person who has been turned undead (and their corpse still animated and not destroyed). Resurrection and True Rez are needed to make the undead alive again (but again, it needs to be destroyed first). So powerful forces can pierce the places the souls of undead go to, but simple raise spells cannot find or communicate with the souls as long as its body shuffles around on the primes.

As souls are hard to destroy, so I think during 'soulless' undeath the soul is locked somewhere in the ethereal plane of its patrons afterlife. It's not really there and somehow 'lost' and hard to locate. A deity or its plane can not easily make use of it as it does with its normal petitioners. You could also just say the soul begins its travel to the afterlife at the moment of death, and those that have their bodies animated afterwards are unwilling to return to the prime because of it.

In my interpretation, if a wight is destroyed its animus begins to fade into nothingness and its "locked ethereal" soul will be reincorporated into the aftelife it was meant to go. Officially, a destroyed wight cleric will not release a soul to Orcus's afterlife, as it's orignal soul already is in (or is on its way to) its patrons afterlife.

Orcus may have found a way to both claim souls and recieve divine worship energy. By making his victems into soulless undead clerics he has both a claim on (or at least knowledge of its location of) its soul in the fugue and a way to monitor the primes through its senses. This way he can direct demonic invasions into both the fugue and Faerun with more chance of success.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  19:42:48  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladewind has a pretty good answer but I will share somethings on how I handle things with my homebrew.

1. Intelligent undead still have their souls locked in their bodies...they have just been corrupted by magic.

2. Corruption does not automatically equate to evil. Meaning, if I think the story would be better served (or if a player somehow managed to convince me to play an undead PC) I would allow for non-evil undead.

3. I make the assumption that the soul is slowly devoured over hundreds (well thousands actually) of years to power the necromantic magic. Eventually the creature dies. This point does not apply to certain undead (namely vamps and liches but others as well).

4. Given point 3, most undead will become thoroughly evil over time just because the state of undeath is so horrific.

5. The creature can worship and gain spells from a god based on its alignment (though some deities would refuse an undead priest). Of course, most of them would be evil gods and, over time, a 'good' undead would most likely become evil and need to change gods.

6. The disposition of the soul depends largely on the claiming deity and would be handled on a case-by-case basis. For instance, I could see Lathander allowing a soul in that had become undead before being slain (he would not turn his back on a follower methinks and would want to renew the soul). Tyr, on the other hand, might judge that the undead should have destroyed itself and that it wasn't pure to begin with if it succumbed to the corruption almost immediately.

7. Perhaps the Wall of the Faithless is full of such souls that no deity would claim because the soul became nihilistic and/or lost all faith in the gods? Just a query for consideration there.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 12 Feb 2014 19:43:37
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  20:27:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Arcanamach over evil undead.

Libris Mortis had an excellent idea for dealing with most intelligent undead in that they require or crave life force, or blood or something from the living.

Now as long as the undead in question is regularly sated in regards to his need or craving then there isn't a problem. Should he go without it for a while then he suffers penalties to abilities and stats. Eventually he is required to make a Willpower check (with cumulative penalties) upon failing a check he attempts to sate his craving from the nearest creature be it friend or foe in a moment of madness.

If he is prevented from sating this craving (no food nearby for instance) then he goes in search of it and if none can be found then he is insane until he feeds.

Now in my own personal campaign alignment is a very mutable concept. You pick an alignment to start with and from that point on I keep track of your good and bad actions (a simple +1 for good -1 for evil, +1 for lawful -1 for chaotic for each major conscious action performed)

Once you reach +50 or -50 on either the good/evil or lawful/chaotic scale then your aligment changes one step towards that alignment (obviously performing good and bad actions will keep the score near 0 so your alignment never changes or performing only good actions when you are already good means you stay good).

Murder or intentionally harming an individual when not in self defence is an evil act so each time the vampire feeds on a creature it gains a -1 for that evil action. Since it needs to feed every day then he will quickly accrue evil points and his alignment will swing.

He can go on as many quests as he likes, donate money to charity, help the poor, rescue damsels in distress, eventually he will become evil because he cannot perform good acts quick enough to cancel out the bad ones.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  20:28:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and I will probably be using this mechanic very soon so I will see how it actually works in practice because at the moment its all theory.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  23:05:35  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool,thanks for your responses, but what do intelligent undead get out of worship, whats the reward?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  00:40:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take liches worshipping Velsharoon as a for instance: They may see the favor of the great necromancer for their worship. This may come in the form of divine insight into necromantic spells that the lich is working on. It may come in the form of divine visions of dangers. It may come in the revealing of ancient knowledge/lore on old cultures. For individuals performing more than just lip service, it could involve actual aid.

Essentially, its the same as everyone else who worships, minus the part where they go to their god after death (except those who still have souls such as liches, death knights, etc.... may actually go on to become powerful servants of their deity, etc...)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000