Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  21:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

However, we might look to the brightside.

I find your interpretation of the "brightside" less than consoling. But, if Elaine writes any novels for the post-Spellplague Realms, I will most likely buy them.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  22:03:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I editted my post.

'Bad feelings' amongst FR fans are running high these days, and one of our favorite authors 'opting out' just adds fuel to the fire. I would never want to offend one the people that helped build the Realms I love.

No offense taken.

I understand that emotions are running high these days, but I really want this situation to be handled with civility and without rancor.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  05:05:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Cancelling a Cunningham novel.. to do space for some crap by some unknowns.

Just to reiterate, PDK, WotC would have published this novel if I'd given them a novel to publish. This is a clear-cut case of the publisher NOT being at fault.

Oh puh-leaaaase! clear-cut my royal arse! I don't care what the details of the situation were, but WotC should really roll down the red carpet when come for a visit, and they should send the liveried messengers with white gloves, complete with tickets for Cancun when an author such as yourself expresses the need to take more time on a story!

Sorry for my lack of diplomacy. Us dwarves were never strong on the charisma-checks, but we sure know how to recognize a good smith when we see one. Even them "wordsmiths"...

In short: however this thing goes down, that story MUST come out and see the light of day at some point!

WOTC!! look over here! 32-year old engineer wants to apply for your personal relations "authors-catering" department! I have previous military experience and know how to secure, transport and handle confidential documents. My past officer experience taught me how to handle VIPs such as Elaine, and promote a climate suited to the exchange of ideas. Call me! PM and Email available right up here, above my post.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  09:27:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
any chance that you can tell us what Elaith's son name was

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  13:24:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Purple Dragon, I WAS given more time on the story. A full year after the deadline. If I had another year, or two, I'm not sure the outcome would be any different.

I know corporations make a big, tempting target. Quite often, deservedly so. But my inability to finish RECLAMATION has nothing to do with anything the publisher did or did not do.

Over the past several years, I've had a string of illnesses and have been struggling unsuccessfully with a lifelong challenge--severe depression. I'm working very hard to get beyond this difficult and destructive period of my life.

There is no dark and hidden story, no heartless editor, no collective corporate villain. This situation is exactly as I have described it--repeatedly, and in more detail than I'm truly comfortable giving.

Reclamation is dead. Resurrection spells have been attempted, repeatedly, to no avail.

Please don't think I don't appreciate the sentiments you folks have expressed, but I think it's time for me to bow out of this discussion. I really don't have anything more to add, and I don't see any benefit to anyone in continuing in this vein.

Sweet water, light laughter,
ec

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 18 Apr 2008 13:45:26
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  13:29:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

any chance that you can tell us what Elaith's son name was

Afraid not. All material in the story is under a NDA until publication. There is no provision for situations in which a story does NOT see publication, so I consider myself bound by the terms of the contract.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  13:46:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just to reiterate what Elaine said: the loss (hopefully temporary) of Reclamation is not the fault of WotC. While we are all disappointed, we really need to move on to other topics. Elaine says she's done discussing it, so we need to stop bringing it up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  14:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
Amen to that. Anyone new to this issue should go back to Elaine's clearly written original announcement on April 14th (page 74 of this topic) before commenting.

Elaine, many thanks for your patient responses.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  14:33:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, if Elaine doesn't mind, I have an idea that I'd like to share. Given that Reclamation was such an important work that a number of us were well looking forward to, I think it would be best to open a new scroll that contains Elaine's specific comments detailing the cancellation of the work itself. Not only will this be an easier reference for most scribes to access, but will also save Elaine from having to type/discuss this topic repeatedly until the point of exhaustion.

I'll wait for her confirmation and then I will set aside a separate stickied scroll containing the info.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  14:43:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, if Elaine doesn't mind, I have an idea that I'd like to share. Given that Reclamation was such an important work that a number of us were well looking forward to, I think it would be best to open a new scroll that contains Elaine's specific comments detailing the cancellation of the work itself. Not only will this be an easier reference for most scribes to access, but will also save Elaine from having to type/discuss this topic repeatedly until the point of exhaustion.

I'll wait for her confirmation and then I will set aside a separate stickied scroll containing the info.

Whatever you think best, Sage.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  15:18:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Aye. The scroll itself is located here. Elaine, if you feel the need to add anything specifically to that scroll, just let me know and I'll modify it where appropriate.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  18:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
Elaine, I'm curious if you have any further plans to write Everquest novels.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  18:51:23  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Elaine,

Dead Men Tell No Tales short story inquiry.

So... who did come out of that old Sea Captain's House in your mind? Little John, or Was he the vessle for Natty?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  18:53:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Elaine, I'm curious if you have any further plans to write Everquest novels.

Hi, Brian.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's going to BE any more EverQuest novels.

Here's the story, in a nutshell.

CDS books, a new publisher, got a license from Sony to publish EQ novels, with creative input from Bob Salvatore. The plan was to release the books in hardcover as "R.A. Salvatore Presents...", advertise them on the EQ site, have a one-click Buy-the-Book option on the EQ sign-in page, and include coupons/codes/whatever that would enable readers to gain unique in-game equipment for their PCs. (Magic the Gathering books did something similar a few years back.) Each writer would develop his or her characters over several books, which would be stand-alone adventures through which the characters would rise in power and challenge, just as PCs do in the game.

But. Things very quickly fell apart. None of the marketing or advertising ideas were put into practice. After the first book, Bob's name came off the cover and the books were released as mass market paperbacks. I was in the middle of writing my book when it became clear that the continuing-character plan would likely change, so I quickly retooled it to become a stand-alone story. Before the ms was completed, CDS books was sold to Perseus Publishing, who bought the company solely for its distribution capacity. They had no interest in renewing the license with Sony; in fact, they don't have a fantasy line of any kind. The City of Heroes line was cancelled, including some of the books then in progress. I was fortunate: my book was finished, so they went ahead and printed it, releasing it the day before the license expired. (Cutting it JUST a tad close....) CDS's last decision was to go with anime-style cover art, something that bears no similarity to the EverQuest game cover art style developed by Keith Parkinson OR to the game graphics. The cover is interesting, but it just doesn't say "EverQuest."

Despite all this, I'm pretty happy with how THE BLOOD RED HARP turned out. It has an elven bard as the main character, a twisty plot, and, imo, some of my best writing. I always like dealing with Bob, and I was glad that he seemed satisfied with the book. One of his former editors, Veronica Chapman, handled the editing, and she's top notch. And the people at Sony were terrific. Very professional, great feedback, very personable. So, what with one thing and another, I'd be tempted to take another shot at the world if an opportunity were to arise and the publishing/marketing conditions were right. But I don't see it happening. EverQuest is not as widely played as it once was. I think this is probably an idea whose time has passed.

Yeah, I know--big freaking nutshell. By now, my kids would be murmuring, "Too much information...."

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 18 Apr 2008 19:55:36
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  18:57:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Elaine,

So... who did come out of that old Sea Captain's House in your mind? Little John, or Was he the vessle for Natty?

What do YOU think?

My feeling is that Little John, whose instincts were much more powerful than his intellect, probably sensed what was coming.

Thanks for asking. This story is very different from anything else I've published, but it's probably my favorite tale, in or out of the Realms.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 18 Apr 2008 18:58:14
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:24:37  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Elaine,

What do YOU think?

My feeling is that Little John, whose instincts were much more powerful than his intellect, probably sensed what was coming.

Thanks for asking. This story is very different from anything else I've published, but it's probably my favorite tale, in or out of the Realms.

You are welcome. I think John walked in, and Natty walked out... I really liked the feel of this story. =)

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 18 Apr 2008 19:25:42
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:45:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Glad you enjoyed the story.

I had a good time with it. Since I live just a couple of towns north of Newport, I'm familiar with the area. (The White Horse Tavern is still in business, and the Quaker Meeting house still stands. The slave market is now nicely paved with brick and has some nice restaurants and shops. And there are still narrow streets lined with colonial-era houses.) I really like historical fiction, and for some reason, Little John's voice felt very natural and real to me. And I seem to need to write the occasional dark tale. But I don't think I could sustain that tone, particularly the feeling of ever-growing dread, through a book-length story.

But this is getting a bit far afield from the Realms.

Sorry. I digress. At length.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  20:03:59  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

But this is getting a bit far afield from the Realms.

Sorry. I digress. At length.

With the Captain already using some magic, it's only a spell away =).
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  21:42:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
you know, id wonder if they would let you finish it and publish it as a pdf file.....
not likely not though.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  22:11:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

you know, id wonder if they would let you finish it <snip>

I'm really not sure just how many ways we can explain this...

THEY (as in, WotC) aren't 'letting' or 'not letting' Elaine do anything. They would LOVE to publish this book (and make money off it). Elaine has explained - several times already - that SHE was unabe to finish it for personal reasons, and it was HER decision to inform WotC that NO manuscript would be forthcoming.

The only thing WotC cancelled was the release date, since they certainly couldn't keep it on their schedule without one.

If she was able to complete it, then why in the world would she give it away for FREE, when WotC is more then willing to pay her for the finished work?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  01:32:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

That's actually quite a shame. I was just starting to get into the EQ novels myself, after a certain number of them [your work in particular] were recommended by a friend.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  01:46:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

That's actually quite a shame. I was just starting to get into the EQ novels myself, after a certain number of them [your work in particular] were recommended by a friend.

Indeed, I enjoyed the Blood Red Harp when I picked it up awhile ago. :) Dunno if I wrote it up on my 1st book journal or my second one though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorepa
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  03:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Jorepa's Homepage Send Jorepa a Private Message
Wow! I just hear the news about reclamation. It is a dissapointment to hear about the cancellation. I'm new to the message boards here, so I'll try to keep it simple. I love te work that you've done with FR, and it's been a great pleasure reading your books. IT sounds like everyone here supports you and understands that some things just wern't meant to be. As a huge fan of yours I was just wondinging where you plan to go in the future with you FR novels? I'm not a D&D gamer, just a novel reader. I know that 4E is going to have some crazy implication on future FR novels. So, I'm wondering if you're planning on writing any new trilogies, or if some time in the future you can pick up some of you old story lines. Thanks for the hours of reading entertainment you've given me!!!

Life's a bowl of punch....You know what to do!!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  03:46:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hi, Jorepa. Welcome to Candlekeep, and thanks for the kind words.

At present, I don't have any FR novels in the pipeline or in planning stages. I'm not ruling out the possibility, but I'm currently concentrating on projects outside of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  00:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Hello, I also just read the sad news about Reclamation. I am sorry to hear the news because I really enjoy your books. I got into FR late (about the time of 3e) but I did manage to pick up old copies of the first three books of the series, and a new copy of Dream Spheres (they also just reprinted the first couple of books with new covers). I still don't have Thornhold, however.

With Evermeet, Liriel's series, and the Halruaan series, you are one of my favorite FR authors. I always look forward to your books.

You have my sympathies for the problems you have had in recent years. I know severe depression can take a lot out of a person, and can sometimes make a procrastinator look like Speedy Gonzales. Nothing looks or sounds good, cynicism and bitterness coming through everything said (or wrote), difficulty in coming up with good thoughts is a chore, and everything seems to be a hit on the personal self-confidence. The hardest part is breaking that cycle and having successes, no matter how small they are, to build on. I wish you much luck in the difficulties in overcoming this challenge.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  09:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Well, there's always hope that Liriel might have a say in the New Realms, perhaps within New Rashemen.

I suspect she'd have a hard time with the transition. As a cleric of Mystra, she'll be especially hard hit by 4E developments.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm behind on my reading. In what novel does Liriel become a cleric of Mystra? I figured she'd go on to become a cleric of Eilistraee?

-- Agnitio
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  10:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
AFAIK a short story or Dragon article. I cannot remember something like that from the the three novels. That said, another possibility could be a novel on Shakti, of course. A touch darker than the Liriel stories, but many opportunities ahead of this lass.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 20 Apr 2008 10:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  10:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Agnitio Veridicus

[quote]
I'm sorry, I guess I'm behind on my reading. In what novel does Liriel become a cleric of Mystra? I figured she'd go on to become a cleric of Eilistraee?

-- Agnitio

Answered Prayers, Best of the Realms III
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  16:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nimriel

quote:
Originally posted by Agnitio Veridicus

[quote]

Answered Prayers, Best of the Realms III

Have my thanks! As it happens, I already have the book on order ...

-- Agnitio
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  02:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Indeed, I enjoyed the Blood Red Harp when I picked it up awhile ago. :) Dunno if I wrote it up on my 1st book journal or my second one though.

Is that novel pretty easy to get into without knowing anything about the Everquest setting? I was thinking of trying it out, myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000