Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  19:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Better yet, we could store it here at Candlekeep!

Well met

Aye, the Sage speaks wisely Oh look, there's a shiny new shelf over there, just the perfect size

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  19:51:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And just to make sure absolutely nothing bad happens to it, I volunteer space on my own hardrive as a backup.

Both the laptop and desktop... just to be certain.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Apr 2008 19:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  07:13:45  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Actually, the delay on the publishing date is not bad at all, if you'd ask me. For two reasons:

1. We all here want to see a novel that is a great read, well thought through! All those things we enjoy about your works, Elaine. But these things might take time.... so take it.

2. It gives me the opportunity to catch up on the story!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  11:40:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Actually, the delay on the publishing date is not bad at all, if you'd ask me. For two reasons:

1. We all here want to see a novel that is a great read, well thought through! All those things we enjoy about your works, Elaine. But these things might take time.... so take it.

2. It gives me the opportunity to catch up on the story!

Hi, Erdusch.

For the record, Reclamation is not delayed. It is cancelled.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  15:19:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Hi, Erdusch.

By mighty Mystra! That is indeed a different matter entirely! Pinch me - why have I not read this before? Or have I and misunderstood the meaning of it being not native speaker and all that? Or might it even have been a matter of not 'wanting' to comprehend it the right way? However, I feel really sstupid right now for not having noticed this!

Thank you for your clarifications on this, Elaine. Truely sad news this is, even for one that has only recently begun to enjoy your works.....

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  15:30:46  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message
No chance to write some part of it like an non-official material? Heh, I know that probably not, just wondering anyway.
There is no other better person to me than you to write about Kymil and Elaith.

Bah, Seems I will never know what happened with Kymil Nimesin after Evermeet's Attack.

Sad..sad..

At least I will have in memory that all those books I have with "Elaine Cunningham" Printed on the cover were all worth reading.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  15:43:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Hi, Erdusch.

By mighty Mystra! That is indeed a different matter entirely! Pinch me - why have I not read this before? Or have I and misunderstood the meaning of it being not native speaker and all that? Or might it even have been a matter of not 'wanting' to comprehend it the right way?

Probably it was a matter of me not expressing myself with sufficient clarity. You're not the first person to make this assumption, or one that's similar.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  01:47:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Wow.....that news will teach me to leave these halls for a few days to try and plant my crops!! I am devastated as an "Elaine-iac"! It is like all my old friends (whom she created or breathed life into.. Got into a ship , sailed for a far off land and diminished into the west in a Tolkienian nightmare.
Ah poor Bronwyn, we knew you to little and loved you to well.
Dan.... Why oh why did you jest with the blackstaff when all he wanted was an heir!
Arrilyn, damn it girl did you ever tell Dan how you really feel? Either way he would had a burden off his heart and could have grown up.
Elaith, well what can I say...thanks for not killing me because I liked other characters as well as you , you cold hearted bastard!
The list could go on and on, but like so many things in this mortal coil, their spark has faded only to be kindled by us good scribes when we reverently revisit their stories from time to time.

Elaine, God bless. Good luck and I hope you are asked to to more FR in the future. If a Fr novel has your name on the spine, I will buy it even if it is set in the 10th edition!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  10:47:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks, Red Walker. Much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  13:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message
Hi Elaine Cunningham,

I'm devastated to read, that Reclamation was cancelled. Of all the realms' authors I've read, your books were constantly very good reads IMHO.

Beside Arilyn and Elaith, Bronwyn was the most interesting character of your books and I really loved Thornhold.

Hope to read something new of your doing soon. If not, I surly will read all of your FR-books again.

Good luck to you.

Dalmar
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  15:03:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dalmar Amad

Hi Elaine Cunningham,

I'm devastated to read, that Reclamation was cancelled. Of all the realms' authors I've read, your books were constantly very good reads IMHO.

Beside Arilyn and Elaith, Bronwyn was the most interesting character of your books and I really loved Thornhold.

Hope to read something new of your doing soon. If not, I surely will read all of your FR-books again.

Good luck to you.

Dalmar

Thanks, Dalmar.

I'm not planning to give up writing. For that matter, I haven't given up writing in the Realms--I'm currently revising the script for a graphic novel adaptation of one of my FR stories. (That will go to the editor later today.) If I'm asked to write another short story for an upcoming anthology, I will. If an opportunity in 4E opens up that seems like a good fit, I'll definitely consider it.

At present, I'm working on a science thriller based upon recent studies on bacteria. My co-writer is a physician and a former research scientist, as well as an award-winning writer of literary short fiction. It's an interesting collaboration; we bring very different backgrounds and skills to the table, yet we mesh extremely well.

I spend part of my writing time on this project, part on solo work. On my own, I've been working on the first book of a new urban fantasy series, and over the next two weeks my primary focus will be writing a detailed outline for a book that's soon to be under contract.

What with one thing and another, I keep busy.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 Apr 2008 17:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  16:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
Arrilyn, damn it girl did you ever tell Dan how you really feel? Either way he would had a burden off his heart and could have grown up.

Not to diminish the spirit of this post, but I'm pretty sure that by the time the novels left off, Arilyn and Danilo were in fact a couple.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  16:24:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
S-T-U-P-I-D

S-P-E-L-L-P-L-A-G-U-E ! ! ! !

I think I'm going to join Green Elven Vampire by adding "Death to 4E" in my sig.

Fack I hate WotC now...

Cancelling a Cunningham novel.. to do space for some crap by some unknowns. I've had it. Sorry, I just had to say it as plainly as I could.

Good luck with everything else on your plate Elaine. One day the dark empire will crumble and the Ewoks will dance again!

Mod Edit: Please watch your language PDK.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Apr 2008 16:50:31
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  16:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Elaine,

No offense to you meant here, but the way I read it is that if WotC had not decided to make all of those silly changes to the 4e Realms, then you would not have necessarily have felt that the story you were writing was futile so you might have been able to finish the book. Now, I am not trying to stick words in your mouth, and I may be just projecting my feelings about the 4e Realms onto this matter, but I feel that it correlates. Anyways, thank you for all of the great books you have written, and I look forward to anymore that you might write. Also, not that this would necessarily work (considering I have not actually written the novel I have been working on, so I cannot be considered a professional writer, and I don't know how hard of a sell this would be to WotC), but have you considered trying to write an anthology with a short story for each major character from your books (Elaith, Danilo & Arilyn, Bronwyn, Liriel, and maybe even Matteo & Tzigone) up to date (somewhere in the 1372-1375 range)? Or you could even do them as unofficial updates for your fans here at CK.

Thanks again,
Hawkins
Disclaimer: I may not (and probably don't) have any clue as to what I am talking about, so if it is pure rubbish, please ignore it.

P.S. I would be quite excited if you had Alaundo host what you have done on Reclamation here on CK. And also, make sure that you tell us here when you next book published, whether it be for the Realms or not.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  16:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Cancelling a Cunningham novel.. to do space for some crap by some unknowns. I've had it. Sorry, I just had to say it as plainly as I could.

I dislike the Spellplague, myself (my feelings on it are in truth much the same as yours, chock-full of unmentionable words), but WotC didn't cancel this book on a whim, or just to make space for other books--they did so because there was no manuscript ready.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Apr 2008 16:32:33
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  16:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
Also, not that this would necessarily work (considering I have not actually written the novel I have been working on, so I cannot be considered a professional writer, and I don't know how hard of a sell this would be to WotC), but have you considered trying to write an anthology with a short story for each major character from your books (Elaith, Danilo & Arilyn, Bronwyn, Liriel, and maybe even Matteo & Tzigone) up to date (somewhere in the 1372-1375 range)? Or you could even do them as unofficial updates for your fans here at CK.

I'm not Elaine, but Liriel did get a short story recently, in Elaine's anthology.

quote:
P.S. I would be quite excited if you had Alaundo host what you have done on Reclamation here on CK.

I would love that too, provided Elaine was legally able to do it (I don't know if she is).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  17:50:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Considering that Elaine has more than once stated an aversion to creating lore not officially sanctioned by WotC, I doubt she'd be willing to publicly share any of what she's already done for Reclamation. Not only that, but making it freely available online would present problems if she later did get the opportunity to publish it.

That's why I suggested she just email me a copy for safekeeping. I have already instituted an offsite backup procedure for my own data, so her manuscript would be just as safe as any other data I have, and it wouldn't be lost if something happened to her computer. I never promised not to read it, but just to keep a copy of it safe.

And even though I like the idea of revisiting the characters in a series of short stories, that's also unlikely to happen without WotC sanction.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Elaine. I'm just working off of her past statements and simple logic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  17:50:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Not to diminish the spirit of this post, but I'm pretty sure that by the time the novels left off, Arilyn and Danilo were in fact a couple.

True.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  17:52:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Cancelling a Cunningham novel.. to do space for some crap by some unknowns.

Just to reiterate, PDK, WotC would have published this novel if I'd given them a novel to publish. This is a clear-cut case of the publisher NOT being at fault.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  17:54:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin ...WotC didn't cancel this book on a whim, or just to make space for other books--they did so because there was no manuscript ready.

Sad but true.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  18:04:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Considering that Elaine has more than once stated an aversion to creating lore not officially sanctioned by WotC, I doubt she'd be willing to publicly share any of what she's already done for Reclamation. Not only that, but making it freely available online would present problems if she later did get the opportunity to publish it.

That's why I suggested she just email me a copy for safekeeping. I have already instituted an offsite backup procedure for my own data, so her manuscript would be just as safe as any other data I have, and it wouldn't be lost if something happened to her computer. I never promised not to read it, but just to keep a copy of it safe.

And even though I like the idea of revisiting the characters in a series of short stories, that's also unlikely to happen without WotC sanction.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Elaine. I'm just working off of her past statements and simple logic.

You managed to hit all the major issues. Oh, and thanks for the altruistic offer of storage space.

To reiterate what Woolly said, I do not publish (and that includes posting online) unsanctioned FR lore or stories. Opinions on copyright and fair use vary, but I consider fanfic--and unsanctioned stories ARE fanfic, no matter who writes them--to be a violation of copyright. For a chaotic neutral kind of gal, I'm surprisingly lawful on this issue.

IMO, unpublishing stories fall into the same catagory.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  18:17:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

I dislike the Spellplague, myself (my feelings on it are in truth much the same as yours, chock-full of unmentionable words), but WotC didn't cancel this book on a whim, or just to make space for other books--they did so because there was no manuscript ready.

Exactly.

As much as we want to 'read into' her lack of 'enthusiasm' to continue working in an effectively 'dead setting', the decision was, in the end, hers.

An author should never be forced down roads they are not comfortable with. If Elaine was unhappy with how the story was turning out, then I admire her 'chutzpah' for not lowering her personl standards and integrity by producing some half-baked crap... something we have seen FAR too much of recently.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Apr 2008 20:45:47
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  18:25:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
I agree with your first paragraph, Markustay, but I have some problems with the second.

You have every right to your opinions about FR books or any other, but I would be grateful if we could keep criticisms of other authors off my Q&A thread.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  18:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Just one question...is this thing about emailing copies of the unfinished work (to Wooly and some others) just a joke? I'm just asking because I tend to take things literally. I also could have sworn I saw some talk about storing what was finished of the novel on CK, and that led me to believe that EC might have been OK with that. I guess that was a joke too?

Sorry for making assumptions, here, but I'm a little confused.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Apr 2008 19:02:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  19:14:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

You managed to hit all the major issues. Oh, and thanks for the altruistic offer of storage space.

Not a problem!

In all seriousness, I would be willing to do that, and/or to burn it to a CD or DVD for you. I know not everyone has or knows how to use that kind of equipment.

And while you prolly know people closer to you that could do that, that doesn't give me a chance to take a peek at the manuscript!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  19:21:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Just one question...is this thing about emailing copies of the unfinished work (to Wooly and some others) just a joke? I'm just asking because I tend to take things literally. I also could have sworn I saw some talk about storing what was finished of the novel on CK, and that led me to believe that EC might have been OK with that. I guess that was a joke too?

Sorry for making assumptions, here, but I'm a little confused.

My initial offer was something of a joke. While I would be more than happy to do that for Elaine (as my other post explained), it's not an offer I honestly expect her to take me up on, or even consider -- because she undoubtedly has people closer to her than can do the same thing. I'd store it or put it on a CD/DVD if she asked, but I'd also be really surprised if she did ask me. So it was serious and a joke at the same time.

Other people just decided to run with it. This was not my intention, but it does happen, sometimes.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Apr 2008 19:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  19:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
OK, Wooly, thanks for explaining that to me.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  20:16:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
What Wooly said.

No FR story that isn't (a) completed and (b) approved by WotC will venture beyond my computer and/or backup systems. The only exception is when I ask a Trusted Reader for input, and these are folks who generally are well known to WotC.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  20:49:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

You have every right to your opinions about FR books or any other, but I would be grateful if we could keep criticisms of other authors off my Q&A thread.
Sorry.

I edited my post.

'Bad feelings' amongst FR fans are running high these days, and one of our favorite authors 'opting out' just adds fuel to the fire. I would never want to offend one the people that helped build the Realms I love.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Apr 2008 01:18:36
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  21:20:42  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Reclaimation is cancelled and there is nothing we can do at this point to correct this. However, we might look to the brightside. We have fourth edition comming, and while this is scary, it gives an opportunity of more novel from Ms. Cunningham in the next edition. There is the possiblity that one of the new plot hooks in the coming realms might inspire Elaine to write a new novel in the setting.

She might even be able to tie up loose ends from her previous edition novel by writing of the descendants of Arilyn and Danilo. Or a hundred years wiser Elaith. The Thornhold story line could be touched on with the Reformed Knights of Samular. (I can see the events paralleling the events which effected Dragonbait in the Finder's Series).

Or we might be introduced to a whole new line of characters in new worlds. Even if we do not have the characters we know, a book by Elaine is still going to be a great read due to the care she takes in her books.

There is also the chance the editors of the realms might call on Elaine in connection to the lore she placed in the realms. Like the moonblades. It's unlikely, but possible. Why waste a great resource like Elaine if you have her.

Always look on the bright side of life...

HV

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000