Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  15:11:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
On the other hand, writers (particularly shared-world writers) who promote their work by criticising the work of other writers piss me off. Especially those who change the rules, then criticize previous books for not following the new rules. I've always considered shared-world writing a team sport, and I get more irritated than I should whenever I encounter behavior that contradicts this mindset.

For some individuals, a team sport is only fun as long as they have the ball.

quote:

But I'm endeavoring to follow my older sister's sage advice, given in a wide variety of situations: Lighten up, have a drink, get over it.

You have Laeral as an older sister?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  12:08:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Quick note to pass along a bit of news. As tie-ins to the upcoming Waterdeep novel, I'll be submitting to DRAGON magazine a short story about Elaith Craulnober, and an article on the Waterdeep barding college told through Danilo Thann's point of view. (Dan isn't in the Waterdeep book, but the editor wanted to hear from established characters.) I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to revisit these old friends.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  13:43:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage
quote:

Quick note to pass along a bit of news. As tie-ins to the upcoming Waterdeep novel, I'll be submitting to DRAGON magazine a short story about Elaith Craulnober, and an article on the Waterdeep barding college told through Danilo Thann's point of view. (Dan isn't in the Waterdeep book, but the editor wanted to hear from established characters.) I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to revisit these old friends.

Great news!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  14:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Great news!

Well met

Good news indeed! I'm sure many fans of Elaith will be extremely eager to read this story, myself included. Thank ye, Elaine for sharin this news. Any ideas as to which issue of Dragon this is likely to appear in?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  16:48:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Wow! The Hooded One mentioned some tie-ins, but this is even better than I could have imagined. Thank you for sharing the news which is going to bring a huge smile to two other fans I know.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  22:13:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

*does happy-dance*

Yay!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  00:09:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Sweet mother of Lurue, that's something to look forward to!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  00:15:21  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
quote:

Happy days! The Serpent has to be one of the most complex persons ever described in the FR setting.. i really admire the way you are writing him Mrs.Cunningham. Keep up the good work, and keep it coming
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  03:17:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Happy days! The Serpent has to be one of the most complex persons ever described in the FR setting.. i really admire the way you are writing him Mrs.Cunningham. Keep up the good work, and keep it coming

I'll agree with this statement. I was just yesterday telling my lady about how cool a villian Elaith Craulnober is.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  04:36:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

I'm just glad to see any additional writings on Elaith. The wait has been too long. Just think of all that he's been doing that readers need to catch up on.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  06:16:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

Oh oh oh! If you can get Danilo in, then maybe you can sneak in Arilyn!

Oh oh oh! And maybe you could even get Dragon to do up stats for them! Naaah.. that one is hopeful thinking. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 22 Jan 2005 06:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:48:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Oh oh oh! If you can get Danilo in, then maybe you can sneak in Arilyn!

Oh oh oh! And maybe you could even get Dragon to do up stats for them! Naaah.. that one is hopeful thinking. :)

Arilyn and Danilo have been statted before, though I don't think that it's been done for 3.x. As WotC considers their tale to be told, it's unlikely that they'd stat them in Dragon. They generally (though not always, as the characters from the comics have shown us) only stat characters when they're in brand new and/or upcoming novels.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:53:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Arilyn and Danilo have been statted before, though I don't think that it's been done for 3.x. As WotC considers their tale to be told, it's unlikely that they'd stat them in Dragon. They generally (though not always, as the characters from the comics have shown us) only stat characters when they're in brand new and/or upcoming novels.

Indeed,if we see any character stats, I expect it to be for someone new introduced in the Waterdeep novel.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  21:44:23  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
That's why it's hopeful thinking.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
I'm currently preparing to write a review of polish edition of "Windwalker" and I think that I've encountered a bug while reading it. Could someone tell me what is the english title of eleventh chapter? Thanks in advance! :)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  02:57:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

I'm currently preparing to write a review of polish edition of "Windwalker" and I think that I've encountered a bug while reading it. Could someone tell me what is the english title of eleventh chapter? Thanks in advance! :)

Chapter 11 of my English hardcover version of the novel has Borderlands as the title.

I hope that helps.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Thanks, Sirius, that solves my problem. And yes, there is a bug in polish edition :/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  19:39:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Thanks, Sirius, that solves my problem. And yes, there is a bug in polish edition :/

The Polish translator for this book was in contact with me via email several times, and I was very impressed with his attention to detail, his enthusiasm for the project, and his flawless command of the English language. I suspect that this translation is much better than most, despite a couple of bugs!

That said, I truly wish I could read it for myself. My father was Polish, and since my paternal grandmother lived with us when I was young, I grew up hearing the language spoken at home. But, to my lasting regret, I never learned to speak Polish, much less to read and write it.

Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  20:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Well, as a matter of fact, it wasn't the translator's fault. The correction made the bug.
P.S. I didn't know that Your father was Polish. That makes me feel kind of proud ;)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  05:39:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Quick note to pass along a bit of news. As tie-ins to the upcoming Waterdeep novel, I'll be submitting to DRAGON magazine a short story about Elaith Craulnober

Elaine Cunningham's February newsletter had a few extra details about the upcoming Elaith story

quote:

A new short story for Dragon magazine. "Game of Chance," a Forgotten Realms story set in the gambling dens of Waterdeep, focuses on moon elf crime lord Elaith Craulnober.

Moon elf crime lord....I like that title.

However, I shudder to think how soon it will be til someone asks if there is a prestige class for it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  06:00:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Moon elf crime lord....I like that title.

However, I shudder to think how soon it will be til someone asks if there is a prestige class for it.

Sirius, my friend, did you not see the previews for next month's issue of Dragon? That prestige class is in there...

(Yes, folks, that was a joke! )

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  06:08:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Well of course we got that. They'll save it for the Waterdeep-book.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  11:18:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  13:11:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
"Moon elf crime lord" as a prestige class... ::shudders::

Continuing along those lines, here's a snip from Erik Mona's editorial in the February issue of DRAGON:

"To me, the joy of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS isn't found in a prestige class level progression or the prerequisites of a feat. Those things may be necessary to ensure fairness, but they are means to an end, and that end is compelling, exciting adventure.... Prestige classes, feats, and new PC races won't completely disappear, but when they do show up it will be within a greater context rather than as stand-alone rules unto themselves."

This is good news.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 03 Feb 2005 14:24:37
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  15:05:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Sirius, my friend, did you not see the previews for next month's issue of Dragon? That prestige class is in there...

What's funny is I can see you typing your post without the size 1 sentence at the end. Then, WR realizes he will be inundated with "What issue will that be?" private messages, and adds the last sentence.

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Yes, I believe that will be in the same chapter where we meet Elaith's new aide, Don Corleone.

quote:
Originally posted by Elaine Cunningham
Continuing along those lines, here's a snip from Erik Mona's editorial in the February issue of DRAGON

That portion of the editorial was wonderful to read. I look forward to seeing those words put into action.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  15:24:21  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
I've got a question for the local sages and scribes:

Would you have any interest in a general encyclopedia of elves? One that addresses elves in folklore, mythology, literature, movies--the whole gamut?

Projects of this nature have addressed such topics as vampires, werewolves, and Arthurian lore. Why not elves?

Very broad topic, I know, and an enormous amount of work. Permission to reference data from other sources--that alone is a Herculean task. But it's been on mind for quite a while now as a long-term project.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  16:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Would you have any interest in a general encyclopedia of elves? One that addresses elves in folklore, mythology, literature, movies--the whole gamut?

Projects of this nature have addressed such topics as vampires, werewolves, and Arthurian lore. Why not elves?

Very broad topic, I know, and an enormous amount of work. Permission to reference data from other sources--that alone is a Herculean task. But it's been on mind for quite a while now as a long-term project.

Well met

Oh i'd certainly be VERY interested Elves have been my favorite race for many many years, since I discovered fantasy, in fact. An epic project indeed, I wish ye all the luck, Elaine

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  17:22:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Simply? YES! :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  17:47:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Why not indeed. I know three readers that would be very interested in such a tome.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  23:30:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Why not indeed. I know three readers that would be very interested in such a tome.

Even though elves aren't my fave folkloric (is that a word? ) bunch, I'd be interested in reading this.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000