Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2004 :  21:37:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
2) Elaith's first words to Arilyn translate to something like, "Amnestria, can it really be you?" At first glance, he mistook Arilyn for her mother, who many years earlier was Elaith's betrothed.

Thank you for the reply. I've had more than one conversation with a fellow fan about his first words and just never thought to ask. An excellent question Kitira Gildragon!

<Whistle> Talk about a past between those two....something I'd love to see Elaith have to face......perhaps in the form of someone standing before him.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  07:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:

2) Elaith's first words to Arilyn translate to something like, "Amnestria, can it really be you?" At first glance, he mistook Arilyn for her mother, who many years earlier was Elaith's betrothed.

Oh!

It's been bothering me for a long time, and I've always wondered just what those words mean, too. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  07:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
No offence, but am I the only one who could tell what it was from context?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  07:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message
I had a vague idea, Bookwyrm... but the gist of the story was given to me before I read it so...

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  09:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

No offence, but am I the only one who could tell what it was from context?

I can guess what the general tone is, but I wouldn't know the exact words, and I'm always a sucker for trivial details.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  17:08:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
I can guess what the general tone is, but I wouldn't know the exact words, and I'm always a sucker for trivial details.

Ditto. I knew he wasn't saying something like, "Amnestria, are you finally here to pay me those ten copper pieces you owe me?"

And yes, when it comes to trivial details about those two, I'm right there with you Winterfox.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  17:39:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Talk about a past between those two....something I'd love to see Elaith have to face......perhaps in the form of someone standing before him.

Or here's another possibility: remember Zoastria, from Silver Shadows? She is now at rest among the forest elves of Tethyr. At the end of Dream Spheres, Elaith met and fought in common cause with a band of these elves. If he had reason to visit the elven community in Tethyr, and if by chance he happened upon the sleeping warrior and learned her story and heritage, wouldn't that raise a few interesting questions in his mind?

Heh heh heh...
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  09:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message
Arhg man! Now I have to read the series all over again.

All those small details I had forgotten. No wonder it is called the Forgotten Realms .

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  12:27:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Moonbow
All those small details I had forgotten. No wonder it is called the Forgotten Realms.

Quick summary: Zoastria was one of Arilyn's ancesters, a former wielder of her moonblade. Her body remained in a sort of magical stasis, and through some unknown course of events, eventually ended up as a novelty item in a rich man's treasure trove. She was returned to life when her elfshadow was called from the sword. This story is told in Silver Shadows.

FYI, this is not a power inherent in all moonblades, and it would come as a surprise to Elaith. But it might also get him thinking about OTHER former wielders.

Backing up a couple of books. Amnestria, who at the time of her death was known as Z'beryl, was killed in Evereska. Her family came from Evermeet for her funeral, which was a very clandestine affair. At the beginning of Elfshadow, an adolescent Arilyn mourns her mother at the foot of a statue of Hannali Celanil -- NOT at her grave, which would have been a logical choice, if indeed that choice were open to her. Elaith might well put all these threads together and think, Hmm, I wonder where Amnestria's resting place might be, and what I might find there...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I think the Jeffrey Gantz Mabinogion is what I read, too, but I've heard the translation by Gwyn Jones and Thomas Jones praised. There's the Lady Charlotte Guest translation which popularized the book and is dated as only 19th-century turnings of mythology and folklore can be, and a reworking by Evangeline Walton which I don't know about.

Looking at Ed's human names -- there are, I'd estimate, about 10,000 of them in print -- it's fascinating to see patterns of upper- vs lower-class characters, heroes/villains, urban/rural, old/modern, all within this ostensibly gobbledigook pattern of phonemes. Without bringing in Earth names as signifiers, it's essentially abstract art, like music.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:50:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Backing up a couple of books. Amnestria, who at the time of her death was known as Z'beryl, was killed in Evereska. Her family came from Evermeet for her funeral, which was a very clandestine affair. At the beginning of Elfshadow, an adolescent Arilyn mourns her mother at the foot of a statue of Hannali Celanil -- NOT at her grave, which would have been a logical choice, if indeed that choice were open to her. Elaith might well put all these threads together and think, Hmm, I wonder where Amnestria's resting place might be, and what I might find there...

Oh Wow! You talk about a quest...if he even suspected in the slightest of something like Zoastria's stasis...talk about moving heaven and earth.

Elaith heading to Evereska.....would love to imagine how that city would take his arrival.

Not to mention Kymil Nimesin is still out there in desperate need of Elaith pulling a Jack Bauer on him.

So, I take it the possibilities of Elaith on such a quest have passed through your mind once or twice Mrs. Cunningham? Scribbed a few notes? Is that one of the books, if you could, you'd like to write?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nasher Alagondar
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  18:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nasher Alagondar's Homepage Send Lord Nasher Alagondar a Private Message
Hmmm, just a few minor questions, surely nothing a great author such as yourself can't handle, Mrs. Cunningham.

1. When you wrote the Starlight and Shadows Trilogy, was it your idea that the Windwalker would affect all drow, or was that put in by WotC to explain the drow powers on the surface for 3e?

2. I don't know if you realize this, but in the Neverwinter Nights computer game, Chapter 2, you actually go on a quest to return Elaith Craulnober to Evermeet. Was any of that your design, or do you think the employees at Bioware included that just so they could have a notable Realms Character in the game?

"Very well, I am admittedly not as traditional in my methodology as you are. So what? The end result is all the same: target ceases to exist. If I happen to use a bit more flair, and a little less stealth to go about it, so be it. If drow were truly meant to skulk within the shadows, we'd not have stark white hair, now would we? Long gone are my days of creeping in the shadows and hiding in wait. Those means are for beings of a cowardly bent. We Bladesingers are risen above such dribble. So saying, it is boldly into the fray I shall go; if I should come to meet my maker, I will at least have done so with a sense of pride and dignity that your ilk will never truly understand. Now go back to hiding in your dark recesses, pathetic mewling...."~Vesz'aun Auvryath
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  23:12:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
You talk about a quest...if he even suspected in the slightest of something like Zoastria's stasis...talk about moving heaven and earth.

Elaith heading to Evereska.....would love to imagine how that city would take his arrival.

Not to mention Kymil Nimesin is still out there in desperate need of Elaith pulling a Jack Bauer on him.

So, I take it the possibilities of Elaith on such a quest have passed through your mind once or twice Mrs. Cunningham? Scribbed a few notes? Is that one of the books, if you could, you'd like to write?

Oh, it's crossed my mind.

I'm not sure it's Evereska Elaith would need to visit. It hasn't been established where Amnestria's grave is. Possibly her family took her back to Evermeet.

"Pulling a Jack Bauer." Heh. Kymil should be so lucky. Jack would only shoot him in the heart and take off his head with a hacksaw, game over. Elaith, on the other hand, has access to potions of regeneration and knows a few clerics who could be leaned on until they coughed up a resurrection spell.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 19 Feb 2004 23:40:42
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  23:25:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Veszaun Auvryath
1. When you wrote the Starlight and Shadows Trilogy, was it your idea that the Windwalker would affect all drow, or was that put in by WotC to explain the drow powers on the surface for 3e?

2. I don't know if you realize this, but in the Neverwinter Nights computer game, Chapter 2, you actually go on a quest to return Elaith Craulnober to Evermeet. Was any of that your design, or do you think the employees at Bioware included that just so they could have a notable Realms Character in the game?

1) The first two books of the trilogy were written several years ago, under second edition rules. According to 2nd ed, sunlight destroyed a drow's innate magical abilities, spells, and magical items. Third edition reversed this, which basically negated the underlying premise of the first two books: that Liriel needed to find a way to take her drow magic to the surface. My choices were to finish the trilogy with 2nd ed rules and ignore the rule changes, use 3E rules for the third book and say to hell with internal consistency, or work a bridge event into the plot. I decided upon the third option.

2) I'm aware of the Elaith side quest. A friend sent me the script for that section. I know nothing about the creation of the Neverwinter Nights game, and no idea who made the decision to include Elaith, or what their reasons might have been.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 19 Feb 2004 23:35:13
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nasher Alagondar
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  02:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nasher Alagondar's Homepage Send Lord Nasher Alagondar a Private Message
Thanks for the prompt response to my questions. I also advise you to check out Neverwinter Nights. It's a great game, however incorrect the material regarding Elaith and Azariah is......

"Very well, I am admittedly not as traditional in my methodology as you are. So what? The end result is all the same: target ceases to exist. If I happen to use a bit more flair, and a little less stealth to go about it, so be it. If drow were truly meant to skulk within the shadows, we'd not have stark white hair, now would we? Long gone are my days of creeping in the shadows and hiding in wait. Those means are for beings of a cowardly bent. We Bladesingers are risen above such dribble. So saying, it is boldly into the fray I shall go; if I should come to meet my maker, I will at least have done so with a sense of pride and dignity that your ilk will never truly understand. Now go back to hiding in your dark recesses, pathetic mewling...."~Vesz'aun Auvryath
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  05:30:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

I'm not sure it's Evereska Elaith would need to visit. It hasn't been established where Amnestria's grave is. Possibly her family took her back to Evermeet.

Ah, yes, that hasn't even been hinted at. So, we go from Elaith headed to Evereska to Elaith possibly heading back to Evermeet? I don't see that as lessening any tension....for either the traveler or those who receive such a visitor.

quote:

"Pulling a Jack Bauer." Heh. Kymil should be so lucky. Jack would only shoot him in the heart and take off his head with a hacksaw, game over. Elaith, on the other hand, has access to potions of regeneration and knows a few clerics who could be leaned on until they coughed up a resurrection spell.

You know one of my players said almost the same thing when I discussed my post with her. Pulling a Jack Bauer would be too fast and easy for Kymil (Nice to see someone else is somewhat familiar with the show).

My player and I had the most delightful conversation about ways Elaith could take care of Kymil. Potions of regeneration and a resurrection spell? Mrs. Cunningham, you're a wickedly fiendish author if you have a character with such thoughts. And boy, do I like that.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  06:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Mrs. Cunningham, you do have a devious mind...... Are you certain that you aren't a Vhaeraunite, like myself?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  13:27:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Are you certain that you aren't a Vhaeraunite, like myself?

Certainty is a rare commodity, but I think this is one of those things even the least self-aware among us would know.

...and the number one answer for TOP TEN BUMPER STICKERS YOU WON'T FIND ON MY MINIVAN is ...

Sorry I haven't been to PTA meetings, but I've been busy polishing stallactites and worshipping Vhaeraun.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  13:35:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
My player and I had the most delightful conversation about ways Elaith could take care of Kymil.

Although there's much to be said for pain and suffering, Elaith would ultimately regard this as a crude and insufficient revenge. The only thing that would be truly satisfying is take from Kymil the one thing that matters most to him in the world. And that might be a tall order, since Kymil's passion is centered in elven politics.

Alas, there is no perfect solution in an imperfect world.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  13:44:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

I also advise you to check out Neverwinter Nights.

I have a copy of the game, but the workhorse computer I had at the time couldn't run it. I've since upgraded, but I never did try the game. Due to time constraints, online gaming isn't an option for me unless it's directly related to my work. Once the Neverwinter Nights anthology came off the table, so did the game.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  14:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I also advise you to check out Neverwinter Nights.

I have a copy of the game, but the workhorse computer I had at the time couldn't run it. I've since upgraded, but I never did try the game. Due to time constraints, online gaming isn't an option for me unless it's directly related to my work. Once the Neverwinter Nights anthology came off the table, so did the game.

That reminds me. Did you ever get a chance to see Elaith's dialogue (...and his hairstyle of doom!) in the original NWN official campaign? (Azariah is in the creature files, as well, though she doesn't actually appear in the game. And for some reason, her appearance is set to halfling.)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  06:09:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Although there's much to be said for pain and suffering, Elaith would ultimately regard this as a crude and insufficient revenge. The only thing that would be truly satisfying is take from Kymil the one thing that matters most to him in the world. And that might be a tall order, since Kymil's passion is centered in elven politics.

Alas, there is no perfect solution in an imperfect world.

Good point as even in the most hideous torture of Kymil one thing would remain clear: It will not bring back Amnestria, Zaor or anyone else Kymil is responsible for murdering. To that end, sometimes there isn't enough pain to inflict on someone like Kymil, sometimes a creature, not an elf, but a creature like Kymil simply needs to be put down. A scene from a book that I read described such a time:

"I leveled my weapon at his chest. He raised his hands to surrender. I stared into his eyes and the abyss stared back. I shot him. Two, three, four times. With each shot, a .45-caliber slug tore thorugh him. I kept pulling the trigger, shooting until there was no ammunition left in the cartridge."

Some people have done so much harm there is nothing but the abyss staring back. For all involved, no torture is wise than, simple elimination is safest and best. The memory of what might have been with those lost will linger long after such an evil figure takes his or her final breath.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  18:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Which was one of the few things Neitche had to say that I whole-heartedly agreed with. If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  22:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Are you certain that you aren't a Vhaeraunite, like myself?

Certainty is a rare commodity, but I think this is one of those things even the least self-aware among us would know.

...and the number one answer for TOP TEN BUMPER STICKERS YOU WON'T FIND ON MY MINIVAN is ...

Sorry I haven't been to PTA meetings, but I've been busy polishing stallactites and worshipping Vhaeraun.

Ha! See Sage, See Bookwyrm, I've even managed to convert a REALMSIAN AUTHOR to the faith of the Masked Lord. All hail Vhaeraun!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  01:07:06  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message
As a great member of wizards.COMmunity (aka me) once said, Ms. Cunningham, "you're ... my favourite writer".

Question the First: In what novel (or other prose form) did the stuff about Elaith mentioned in the FR Campaign Setting take place (you know, with him committing one selfless deed and his moonblade being unlocked)? I haven't exactly gotten my hands on most of the middle stuff on Arilyn, Danilo and Elaith.

Question the Second: I read in your FAQ or something that you didn't like your picture being put in novels. I also happened to pick up an early copy of Elfshadow rotting on the shelves of a comic book/sci-fi store (fantasy novels shouldn't fit into either of these categories, I feel) with a picture of (presumably) you in the About the Author. Are you aware of this?

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  03:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
[brHa! See Sage, See Bookwyrm, I've even managed to convert a REALMSIAN AUTHOR to the faith of the Masked Lord. All hail Vhaeraun!

Perhaps you should stop seeing only what you want to see.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  04:32:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arilyn742

Question the First: In what novel (or other prose form) did the stuff about Elaith mentioned in the FR Campaign Setting take place (you know, with him committing one selfless deed and his moonblade being unlocked)? I haven't exactly gotten my hands on most of the middle stuff on Arilyn, Danilo and Elaith.

Elaith's moonblade reawakened (right word for it?) in the novel, Elfsong. I highly encourage you to find the novel if you can. I won't give out any spoilers except to say the scene in which this action takes place is very dramatic and I thought very moving.

quote:
Question the Second: I read in your FAQ or something that you didn't like your picture being put in novels. I also happened to pick up an early copy of Elfshadow rotting on the shelves of a comic book/sci-fi store (fantasy novels shouldn't fit into either of these categories, I feel) with a picture of (presumably) you in the About the Author. Are you aware of this?

If I recall Mrs. Cunningham's statement on not wishing her photograph to be taken is at her website: http://www.elainecunningham.com/why_no_author_photos.htm. Oh and a note to Mrs. Cunningham said with some understanding as I hate my photograph being taken as well. However, I did happen to see the Star Wars Insider magazine with her photograph and one look should show that the lady is not comfortable having her photograph taken. But, it was still a fine photo and it was nice to get to see the person responsible for creating some works I enjoyed since I have yet to get to meet her in person unlike some others. <Grumble with jealousy>
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  05:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
[brHa! See Sage, See Bookwyrm, I've even managed to convert a REALMSIAN AUTHOR to the faith of the Masked Lord. All hail Vhaeraun!

Perhaps you should stop seeing only what you want to see.

Come now, Bookwyrm, you've ruined my moment........

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  16:32:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
One post, several topics:

Drow gods: Shadowlord, you seem to have missed part of my post. The bumper-sticker slogan was advanced as a sentiment I would NOT slap on the ol' minivan. Sorry to ruin the moment. ;)

The Craulnober moonblade: Yep, that story is told in Elfsong.

Author photos: Yes, I hate the damn things, and yes, I'm aware of the photo in my early books. Back then, I was a twenty-something neophite who did what I was told. After the first couple of books, TSR went through a phase of not using author photos. By the time they got around to asking for new ones, I was older and crankier and less willing to ignore my own inclinations. I must have been Amish in a past life, because I am and always have been profoundly uncomfortable around cameras. My mother has pictures of me as a toddler scowling at the photographer. But I know I'm going to have to move past this, since publishers expects authors to have photos and readers have gotten used to putting faces with books. There's a project in the works (not FR, and not something I can discuss yet) that focuses on bards, so maybe I'll have the photo taken with my harp, possibly in costume.

Regarding Neverwinter Nights: I've seen the dialogue, but not the pictures of Elaith. If the hairstyle is the same as that in the 3E FR Campaign Setting, I know what you mean -- the elf definitely "uses Product," to coin a phrase from the Fab Five. The first time I saw that picture, I got a mental image of Cameron Diaz as "Mary" saying, "Is that... hair gel?" I'm guessing the reason Azarish is pictured as a halfling is that she was a child at the time, and there probably was no visual template for an elven child.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  16:56:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Author photos: Yes, I hate the damn things, and yes, I'm aware of the photo in my early books. Back then, I was a twenty-something neophite who did what I was told.

Let me get this straight? Authors do what their told sometimes? Did I hear right?

quote:

By the time they got around to asking for new ones, I was older and crankier and less willing to ignore my own inclinations.

Am I the only one envisioning some interesting exchanges between Mrs. Cunningham and a TSR/WOTC person trying to get a photograph?

I don't suppose sending them a photograph of someone else would be a wise career move.

quote:
Regarding Neverwinter Nights: I've seen the dialogue, but not the pictures of Elaith. If the hairstyle is the same as that in the 3E FR Campaign Setting, I know what you mean -- the elf definitely "uses Product," to coin a phrase from the Fab Five.

Carson would definitely love Elaith and what's the groomist's name? Kaya? He'd like Elaith's style as well, with or without product. Queer Eye for the Straight Elf...I'd actually watch that show.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000