Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Leira, Lady of the Mists
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  16:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The question about Lord Chess had me diggin in my old books, and I had alot of questions.

Leira was godess of deception, the lady of the mists. Is it possible she's still alive?

Mask and Leira seem like the ideal allies. While mask was Godsbane, could he have fed Cyric false prayers of Leira's faithful? Or, even if she died, could a bit of her essence have found its way to the Prime Material Plane before Cyric absorbed it all? Perhaps she merely faked her own dispersion?

Also, since Cyric holds her portfolio, would her 'faithful' actually be Faithless since she's dead? And if she was reborn, would their souls be released to her if they were found faithless?

I'm sort of floundering in the dark here, I suppose, but any thoughts/comments/opinions would be appreciated. - Kitira Gildragon

-Space for rent-

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  19:05:50  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We believe that we mentioned this once before. However the answer was unsatisfactory... We are currently looking into the status of the Goddess of Lies.... Perhaps one of the Masters of Realms Lore knows more. As for ourselves... we know Cyric supposedly holds the portfolio for the time being...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  00:11:37  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Leira is dead. If you have read Prince of Lies, Cyric admitted to the evil deed in front of the Circle of Greater Powers. Also, Lord Ao was summoned by the gods and even he said that Cyric did it.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  14:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric the one killed that weak god and claimed her dominion.
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  16:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

Cyric the one killed that weak god and claimed her dominion.

Typical Cyricst answer.. But I do agree she is dead
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  16:50:25  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an adventure hook: A group of non-evil illusionist try to ressurect their former deity, aided by Mystra and Azuth as a means of limiting Cyric's power and consolidating Mystra's control over magic (Leira served Azuth, who serves Mystra). Cyric would then have a demigod competing for a portion of his worshippers.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Oghma, an enemy of Leira, would aid Cyric in his efforts to prevent this.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  17:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon

Also, since Cyric holds her portfolio, would her 'faithful' actually be Faithless since she's dead? And if she was reborn, would their souls be released to her if they were found faithless?

Yes, I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, even clerics and paladins who hold to an ideal, rather than a god, become Faithless. Though with Kelemvor now in charge, things ought to be different. Sage probably knows more on this.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  17:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oghma and Cyric side by side, i doubt that wil ever happen.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  07:00:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon

Yes, I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, even clerics and paladins who hold to an ideal, rather than a god, become Faithless. Though with Kelemvor now in charge, things ought to be different. Sage probably knows more on this.

Indeed they would. It's written I believe in one of the FR deity tomes (I can't remember which one, nor can I check at the moment), that the faithful (in particular clerics and paladins, much like the Bookwyrm said) of a deity who is destroyed at a given time, or denied complete access to Realmspace cannot in anyway come to collect the souls of their worshippers.

However, this in itself presents a very unique case which I don't think has ever been properly addressed. The Faithless, and the False all come before Kelemvor to be given final judgement, but what happens if some of the those classed as 'Faithless' are only in this current belief state because their patron deity has fallen from power...? Does Kelemvor still judge them as 'Faithless'...?

In 2e PS, this type of problem was dealt with by allowing the souls of those faithful whose deity had perished to be collected by the deity who now holds the portfolio of the destroyed deity. In other less dramatic situations, the soul would be allowed to journey to the plane of faithful's chosen alignment, then becoming a petitioner of the plane itself, rather than of a deity.

I was never really satisfied with those interpretations as it still left a lot of situations open, without any resolution.

In the end, I think Kelemvor would probably judge each and every case of this instance on it's own merits, never working from an established framework or guideline when it came to dealing with such Faithful/Faithless. However, since this situation is highly unlikely to be a regular occurence, I really do not think there is much reason to put much thought into it...

So, up until Leira was no longer a viable choice as a patron deity, I believe that Kelemvor would most likely have allowed those souls of true Leiran faith to function as petitioners of their planar alignment (since it is highly unlikely that those of Leiran faith would support the Dark Sun, although maybe there have been a few cases of former Leiran faithful heading on over to Cyric's camp), or a new and improved third option which we could probably all devise on our own right here...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  07:51:37  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If so (and with the current status of belief = godhood) would not a god be possible to return to life from pure belief alone, no matter how non-invovled (as we know there are a few rather stubborn Aoists out there... Perhaps we shall be one of them). Granted that the Dead gods might remains dead but what of those whose fate was unknown, or related to more non-deceased status. Thus opening the door perhaps to both Leria and an old favorite of ours, Amunator. After all, was not Tchazzar a red dragon who obtained godhood as such? (true he was consumed by Tiamat as he became a godling, or so it is said)..... Hmmm... Ao's decree, faith and belief equalling power... this can have farther reaching effects than perhaps first anticipated no?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  08:07:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been of the belief that a deity actually dies...The PS sourcebook/adventure Dead Gods makes that clear enough. On the Astral plane, anything is possible...especially when it comes to deities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  16:19:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've never been of the belief that a deity actually dies

Exactly, some are only dead until the next edition of D&D and the Forgotten Realms comes out.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  18:46:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what about the second Goddess of Magic, Mystra? She can't come back, not even when Lord Ao wanted to resurrect her. If someone as powerful as an Overlord can't do it, I don't think anyone else in the Realms can.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  20:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes but she died twice and then the where in avatars and her image from the astral plane.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000