Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  04:04:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Halfway through the Blade Itself by Joe Abercombie. Witty and somewhat dark, its quite an enjoyable book.

I think Abercrombie has some of the best dialogue and characterization in fantasy.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  06:05:22  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Just started The Adversary (kindle app ebook); I like the characterisation. I haven't read the Brimstone Angels novels yet; are they similarly good (or better)?

Quite so! I remember being pleasantly suprised at how well and true the characters rang out; the events of the books just became icing.:D
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  15:51:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Halfway through the Blade Itself by Joe Abercombie. Witty and somewhat dark, its quite an enjoyable book.

I think Abercrombie has some of the best dialogue and characterization in fantasy.

Agreed , this is one of the best debut novels I ever read.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  15:52:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on book three of the Honor Harrington series, Something or the other mumble mumble Honor.
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  18:15:38  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message
History of the Hobbit Vol. 1 by John D. Rateliff
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2014 :  01:11:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2014 :  13:03:20  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Starting Mages Blood by David Hair. It was on sale so I bought it on impulse. Hope it turns out to be good but even if its not at least I have not wasted much cash
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  05:01:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm finally done with the Dresden Files, at least until Skin Game drops in a couple more weeks.

In the meantime, I'm reading Influx, which has a nifty premise for why we've not done anything all that spectacular, technology-wise, since landing on the moon.

After that, I'm thinking of trying The Daedalus Incident.

And I'm thinking of revisiting Dracula, as well. When I first decided, on a whim, to read both that one and Frankenstein, my friends told me I'd love the latter and dislike the former. And instead, I found Dracula to be quite enjoyable, and Frankenstein was rather meh.

After Skin Game, I think I'll finally get to the Sundering books. I've also been eyeballing a stack of manga, of late, and recently re-acquired Marmalade Boy, which I quite enjoyed when I first read it several years back. Yes, my taste in manga is pretty much unlike my taste for any other reading material!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 May 2014 05:04:31
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  14:43:44  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one. I bought it a while back when it was one sale for Kindle. haven't got around to reading it yet, but it is on my list to read soon.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  16:06:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one. I bought it a while back when it was one sale for Kindle. haven't got around to reading it yet, but it is on my list to read soon.

I will let you know. I'm about halfway into Influx right now, and quite digging it.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  02:54:12  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message
Finished Pages of Pain, a Planescape novel. I have to say, that was one of the most fascinating reads I have had in a long time. Completely unconventional, but totally captivating book!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  13:43:00  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
The Steel Remains by Richard K Morgan

Ringil Eskiath is a war veteran that fought for humanity against a reptilian invasion from the sea. After the war he tried to make a career out of writing weapons and military treatises. The Empire emptied its coffers funding the war and turned to the church for funds. As a result some of the hardline clerics began influencing Imperial policy; Ringil's homosexuality made it impossible for him to have his papers published. Thus he's taken up work in a marsh po'dunk, telling stories about the war to travelers and what not.

Things change when his cousin's husband is found hanging, having committed suicide. Apparently the husband had gotten deep into debt and believed in death before dishonor. As a result Ringil's cousin was sold into the slave trade. Ringil is hired to find her. Along the way he unravels a conspiracy by otherworldly beings seeking to prevent the prophesied rise of a new dark lord.

It's great sword and sorcery. Feels a bit like what you'd have if you combined Corum, Hawkmoon, and Elric with visceral descriptions of the battlefield and more realistic dialogue. If you like Joe Abercrombie, you'll like Richard Morgan.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  15:07:18  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
So I finished The Stolen Crown by Dennis L. McKiernan. I quite enjoyed it.

Next up will probably by Triple Jeopardy, a trio of Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  15:33:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished Influx, which I quite enjoyed. I decided to revisit Dracula before reading anything else; I've been wanting to reread it for a while, and it's been a few years since I read it. Plus, a part of me just wants to refamiliarize myself with how vampires are supposed to be written.

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  04:49:50  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
STILL reading Words of Radiance.

It's a doozy. ;)
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  14:36:28  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Triple Jeopard by Rex Stout.

Next up Empress of the Sun the 3rd book in the Everness series by Ian McDonald
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2014 :  13:29:24  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
STILL reading Words of Radiance.
Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2014 :  01:18:21  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message
Just started the Magister Trilogy again. I like C.S. Friedman.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2014 :  09:37:00  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on the Last Colony by John Scalzi.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  17:41:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm about 50 pages in, now. So far, it's two different stories, with no apparent connection between them. I am intrigued, though, and curious to see how it all connects and plays out.

One story is set on Mars, in 2132, where there is a mysterious earthquake -- mysterious because it appears to have happened in the absence of any seismic activity... Also, the characters were in a cavern when it happened, and at least at first glance, the source of the falling rocks was not evident.

The Mars colony is a joint effort between the US and the EU, called McAuliffe Base, and it's also home to a private mining interest. Given the references to their pressure suits, sleeping in a centrifuge, and some other bits, this part of the story seems to be straight sci-fi.

The other part, on the other hand, is pure steampunk, and has a bit of a Spelljammer feel, on top of that. It's set in 1779, aboard a British ship that is in the vicinity of Mercury, with the eventual destination of Jupiter -- there to aid in the siege of New York; it seems the colonies on Ganymede have declared themselves to be "free and independent states." The ships are sailing ships, with extra sails, and the sails are alchemically treated to be able to catch and sail on solar winds. (It's unclear if there is any other power source, though there must be, for them to be able to sail to Mercury from Earth.) There are numerous references to alchemy and occult studies.

Artificial gravity on the ships (and on the colony orbiting Mercury) is provided by alchemical creations called lodestones, and these also hold an envelope of air around the ship -- much like in Spelljammer. It's mentioned in the author's note that he was playing AD&D at age 10, so I think it likely he got some inspiration from my first love among D&D settings.

It's also mentioned that Mercury has a somewhat breathable atmosphere (provided you wear something over your mouth to filter it), that the Spanish hold Venus and that it has a lot of plantlife, and that the first voyage away from Earth was taken in 1493, by a Spanish explorer.

Given the differing flavors of the two tales, I'm expecting it to be some sort of alternate dimension thing, with the mysterious events on Mars having some connection to something in the steampunk/Spelljammer alternate dimension.

Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  07:38:17  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message
I am currently reading the Avatar Series its my first time reading any FR novels!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  11:12:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garignak

I am currently reading the Avatar Series its my first time reading any FR novels!

That is a great series. Hope you enjoy it. Also IMO there are a lot of other series that are even better in the realms like the Twilight war trilogy or the Brotherhood of the griffon, there are lots of good FR books out there.

Edited by - Thauranil on 19 May 2014 11:14:01
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  01:03:39  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
FINISHED 'Words of Radiance!'

Very good. Very cool. Not sure what is next. Gotta go back and FINALLY get a copy of 'The Adversary'
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  04:24:40  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
The Summer Tree (book one of The Fionavar Tapestry) by Guy Gavriel Kay

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  23:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I just read THE WATERS OF ETERNITY by Howard Andrew Jones.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  15:48:28  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I've just finished The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan. This series still reminds me of Dragonlance, as written by Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan, both having been inspired by Moorcock, Howard, and Leiber. I'm jumping back into Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. I really like the Letheras plot. Hull, Tehol and his accomplices, Bugg are hilarious.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  17:37:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm about 50 pages in, now. So far, it's two different stories, with no apparent connection between them. I am intrigued, though, and curious to see how it all connects and plays out.

One story is set on Mars, in 2132, where there is a mysterious earthquake -- mysterious because it appears to have happened in the absence of any seismic activity... Also, the characters were in a cavern when it happened, and at least at first glance, the source of the falling rocks was not evident.

The Mars colony is a joint effort between the US and the EU, called McAuliffe Base, and it's also home to a private mining interest. Given the references to their pressure suits, sleeping in a centrifuge, and some other bits, this part of the story seems to be straight sci-fi.

The other part, on the other hand, is pure steampunk, and has a bit of a Spelljammer feel, on top of that. It's set in 1779, aboard a British ship that is in the vicinity of Mercury, with the eventual destination of Jupiter -- there to aid in the siege of New York; it seems the colonies on Ganymede have declared themselves to be "free and independent states." The ships are sailing ships, with extra sails, and the sails are alchemically treated to be able to catch and sail on solar winds. (It's unclear if there is any other power source, though there must be, for them to be able to sail to Mercury from Earth.) There are numerous references to alchemy and occult studies.

Artificial gravity on the ships (and on the colony orbiting Mercury) is provided by alchemical creations called lodestones, and these also hold an envelope of air around the ship -- much like in Spelljammer. It's mentioned in the author's note that he was playing AD&D at age 10, so I think it likely he got some inspiration from my first love among D&D settings.

It's also mentioned that Mercury has a somewhat breathable atmosphere (provided you wear something over your mouth to filter it), that the Spanish hold Venus and that it has a lot of plantlife, and that the first voyage away from Earth was taken in 1493, by a Spanish explorer.

Given the differing flavors of the two tales, I'm expecting it to be some sort of alternate dimension thing, with the mysterious events on Mars having some connection to something in the steampunk/Spelljammer alternate dimension.

Still working on this one, and quite enjoying it... At this point, I'm hoping the author will write stories just on the 1779 side -- that part of the story is a fun blend of steampunk/space opera and real world history. Benjamin Franklin, for example, is also an alchemist, and is serving as the United States of Ganymede's ambassador to France. Ganymede's capital is Philedelphia, Pennsylvania, where John Jay is the President of the Continental Congress. There is also a reference to Common Sense. And Franklin was pleased when the English ship HMS Daedalus encountered the Ganymedean ship Bonhomme Richard, captained by John Paul Jones.

Venus and Saturn are both home to native races, as well, though the Xan, on Saturn, are far more advanced than humans are -- to the point that the "Rocky Main" (the asteroid belt) is a world destroyed by them during a war with the now-extinct Martians. The Venusians are a kind of lizard people who are being sold into slavery by the Spanish, but it turns out they do have some unique alchemical knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2014 :  21:44:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished The Daedalus Incident yesterday. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to be looking for the sequel when I go to the bookstore this weekend -- The Enceladus Crisis.

I won't be able to get to it for a week and a half or so, though... Skin Game comes out on Tuesday, and I'm going to be running to the bookstore to buy that on my lunchbreak.

Right now I'm reading Wolfhound Century. It's set in some sort of alternate spin on Russia, with technology in the 1930s or 1940s, but also with fallen angels and giants. It's... weird. I'm about 100 pages in, and I'm not sure if I even like it or not... For some reason, it really grabbed my attention when I saw it listed on Amazon, but it has yet to live up to that.

Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  16:59:48  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message
Re-reading Elfshadow. It's been so long that the only thing I remember about the series is that Danilo makes me happy, so it's kind of like I get to read it for the first time again. :D (Also, I'm finding that my memory has sort of screwed up different facts about Arilyn Moonblade and Alias.)

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  19:39:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I'm reading UNHOLY DIMENSIONS by Jeffrey Thomas.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000