Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic: The Gathering Movie confirmed. Is D&D Next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  21:48:13  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A cartoon about characters (overly dramatically) playing MtG in the vein of YuGi-Oh would be hilarious and probably become a cult classic, as YuGi-Oh has.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  12:59:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

A cartoon about characters (overly dramatically) playing MtG in the vein of YuGi-Oh would be hilarious and probably become a cult classic, as YuGi-Oh has.
To each his own, I understand. But if they'd do something like this, I'd have to pass. And people who look down on anything D&D related (I know, MtG is not D&D, but they're run by the same "mother ship") would likely continue to do so. IMO, of course.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  19:57:07  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The silly show probably did a lot to sell the game (and increase the profile of the game/setting/franchise), just saying. People who look down on genre stuff will continue to look down in it regardless if it's Oscar winning. They will continue to think of it as childish and juvenile regardless of quality. And stuff like card games, RPGs, and superheroes were originally designed for children and young adults and should continue to be. It can also double up by offering enough sophistication for more mature audiences, but it need not be serious grim dark stuff to appeal. Just as many of the Pixar films are generally lauded for being accessible for kids while watchable and meaningful for adults.

The "meta-game" perspective has been a long running concept (D&D Cartoon with real world kids transported to the fantasy world via a theme park ride).

More recently along the same lines is Gundam Build Fighters (YouTube Link). An anime based around people building Gundam (toy) models (aka fandom) set in the "real world", at least a setting closer to the real world than any of the science fiction Gundam animes.

Then again, I'm not advocating for such, but wouldn't turn my nose at it by default either.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  14:39:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dark Wizard, personally I think such a show might do a lot to popularize the realms especially to the younger generation.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  23:25:53  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This calls for the skills of a veteran, award-winning actor stage-trained on Shakespeare with fantasy and period genre experience... what about Jeremy Irons, perfect candidate to bring some gravitas to the project.

Add another book/TV show to RPG license list:

- Game of Thrones has the Song of Ice and Fire RPG from Green Ronin. They re-released the game with an updated cover (the Game of Thrones Edition) after the TV premier and sales picked up. This is actually the second system for a GoT RPG, an earlier one was based on the d20 system.

Game of Thrones also has a living card game, though I don't know which came first: the RPG or the cards.

The Brotherhood of the Griffin is what I'd like to see adapted. It's got some grit with the Chessentan politics, Jheshri's backstory, and Tchazzar's insanity. Plus it has dragons. Two elements of Game of Thrones. Something else that distinguishes GoT from the other big fantasy franchises (Rings/Hobbit and Potter) is unique nonhuman races in the White Walkers and Children of the Forest. The Brotherhood novels deal with genasi and dragonborn, two types of fantasy races not really represented in cinema. Therefore, due to the popularity of Game of Thrones, I believe that the Brotherhood's tales are the best direction for WotC/Hasbro's next shot at a DnD movie.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  08:47:48  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

quote:

This calls for the skills of a veteran, award-winning actor stage-trained on Shakespeare with fantasy and period genre experience... what about Jeremy Irons, perfect candidate to bring some gravitas to the project.

Add another book/TV show to RPG license list:

- Game of Thrones has the Song of Ice and Fire RPG from Green Ronin. They re-released the game with an updated cover (the Game of Thrones Edition) after the TV premier and sales picked up. This is actually the second system for a GoT RPG, an earlier one was based on the d20 system.

Game of Thrones also has a living card game, though I don't know which came first: the RPG or the cards.

The Brotherhood of the Griffin is what I'd like to see adapted. It's got some grit with the Chessentan politics, Jheshri's backstory, and Tchazzar's insanity. Plus it has dragons. Two elements of Game of Thrones. Something else that distinguishes GoT from the other big fantasy franchises (Rings/Hobbit and Potter) is unique nonhuman races in the White Walkers and Children of the Forest. The Brotherhood novels deal with genasi and dragonborn, two types of fantasy races not really represented in cinema. Therefore, due to the popularity of Game of Thrones, I believe that the Brotherhood's tales are the best direction for WotC/Hasbro's next shot at a DnD movie.

I may be repeting myself, but only viable course is to do Drizzt movie. He is only character outside the FR-community who has enough popularity to gather large audiances. Secoind, althoug distant possibility is base the movie on BG-computergames. I understand that many scribes would see somekind of less well known hero, but thats just too risky for Hasbro.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  14:18:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

I may be repeting myself, but only viable course is to do Drizzt movie. He is only character outside the FR-community who has enough popularity to gather large audiances. Secoind, althoug distant possibility is base the movie on BG-computergames. I understand that many scribes would see somekind of less well known hero, but thats just too risky for Hasbro.

Less risky than taking a game without any characters at all and making a movie out of it? Less risky than taking an existing book and making something practically unrecognizable out of it? Less risky than making yet another version of a movie that's already been made more than once? These are all things we've seen from Hollywood.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  13:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a D&D film, yes, the wisest thing to do is to go for Drizzt. The Drizzt books have sold substantially more copies than D&D itself has sold (across all editions) and he is the only D&D-related character who is well-known in the general SF and fantasy community (even Elminster is a very, very distant second).

Once you have established the FORGOTTEN REALMS as a setting for films, you can move away into having different characters, like Disney did for the Marvel characters and are planning to do so for STAR WARS. But to get to that stage, you need to bring out the commercial big guns first, regardless of how the character is received critically or amongst the hardcore fans. Hardcore TRANSFORMERS fans didn't want Michael Bay coming anywhere near the franchise and hate the films, but even they might have to acknowledge that TRANSFORMERS becoming a household name again and getting new comics, video games and cartoon series (some of them very good) out of it eventually made it worthwhile, and eventually we might still get a good film out of the franchise once Bay has moved on.

Sometimes you have to play the long game. And to be honest, as long as a half-decent writer and director are involved, you can turn THE CRYSTAL SHARD (and most of the early Drizzt books) into a perfectly enjoyable action-adventure popcorn movie.

quote:

The card game from Fantasy Flight started coming out in 2002. The Guardians of Order RPG was 2005 and the Green Ronin one was 2009.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  01:49:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that interested in a D&D movie. I mean, in some ways it would be cool, but there are too many chances for it to go wrong.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000