Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Celebrating 40 years of D&D!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  01:57:33  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For D&D's 40th Anniversary, Wizards encourages fans to play the game and enjoy. What better way to celebrate.

Also, if you're up for it, shout out your love of the game through the D&D Facebook Page and D&D Twitter Channel (or any social media would be fine I assume) using #DnD40.

To get the ball rolling, WotC posted thoughts and videos of a couple of familiar designers/authors speaking about their D&D experiences.

Link: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2F4news%2F20140126

Okay, it's Ed Greenwood and Troy Denning if anyone is curious but not curious enough to click the link. And now you probably clicked through. Ha!

Edit: Wizards updated the page with additional videos from Erin M. Evans and Richard Lee Byers.

(We're missing Paul S. Kemp and RA Salvatore and we'll have the whole Sundering crew.)

Over at the Kobold Press blog (link), the kobolds have trapped some designers/authors-you-may-have-heard-of to interrogate them about their favorites and experiences regarding the game.

Part one of this blog series includes David "Zeb" Cook, Bruce Cordell, Jeff Grubb, Colin McComb, Wade Rockett, Robert Schwalb, and Margaret Weis.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 31 Jan 2014 23:09:54

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  02:55:58  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice little bit DW thanks for sharing. I like how Ed tells a story!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  11:30:41  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow congrats on 40 years.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  22:43:09  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This game still brings friends together, all over the world. My buddies from my earliest days of D&D and I still have at it every week.

May our dice roll 20 for at least another couple of decades!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  23:15:51  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit more from the Kobold Press blog: D&D’s 40th Anniversary: Words to Celebrate, Part Two.

This part with Q&A regarding designers' first D&D games and favorite gaming experiences from Wolfgang Baur, Ed Greenwood, Ben McFarland, Richard Pett, Mike Selinker, Stan!, Steven Winter.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  00:32:13  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy 40th anniversary D&D! I started playing 25 years ago with my friends, which i'm still blessed enought to have around to this day, including my mentor, a rare thing i know. This game has done so much to help me as a young kid, it also helped me tremendously with my english, i wouldn't be working in aviation if it wasn't of that Thank you D&D! #LongLiveDnD

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  06:29:00  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only twenty six. It's tough for me to concieve that DnD is this old. In my mind, DnD is only two or three years older than I am.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  17:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote a blog post about D&D's birthday, and how it has affected my writing career (hint: it's kinda the reason I'm a writer at all!).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  21:37:56  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great post, Erik. It's fun to read about the links between gaming and your writing.

I've rounded up a few more designer/author 40th Anniversary posts.

A trio more from the Kobolds: http://www.koboldpress.com/k/front-page17530.php#.UurBe_ZQ1y8
This time from Steve Kenson, Bill Slavicsek, and Ed Stark.

Edit: The Kobolds added a part four: http://www.koboldpress.com/k/front-page17538.php#.Uu6GSPZQ1y8
With Leonard Balsera, Todd Lockwood, and Ari Marmell.

Here one from Steve Winter (aside from his Kobold Press Q&A): http://www.howlingtower.com/2014/01/happy-40th-birthday-d.html

One from Mike Selinker: http://selinker.tumblr.com/post/74642451255/a-love-letter-to-dungeons-dragons

And for fans looking for an extended activity they can get involved with, Stelios V. Perdios of the d20 Dark Ages blog, is organizing a D&D 40th Anniversary blog hop with a D&D-related topic prompt for each day in February, making it month long celebration of the game and how gamers entered the hobby.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 02 Feb 2014 17:56:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000