Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A question for the Lady Cunningham
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  12:25:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Before I begin with my question, allow me this opportunity to welcome you here, to these near-infinite halls of knowledge that we like to call Candlekeep...

Now, onto the question -

Ms. Cunningham, I have only one question at the moment (although given time, more questions will probably develop) and, not having located an answer to it previously, have now decided to ask it here - When, if ever, will we ever see a completely solo Danilo novel?. Now granted I know Arilyn and Danilo work famously together and I'd probably be the last person who ever wanted to see that pairing separated, but still, I feel Danilo the character is just something that needs to be explored far more than has been done so far...

I'm not expecting a quick response to this question, as I realise (and understand) from your other posts that you are extrememly busy, so feel free to answer this at your leisure...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  14:12:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Before I begin with my question, allow me this opportunity to welcome you here, to these near-infinite halls of knowledge that we like to call Candlekeep...

Thank you. Love what you've done with the place.

quote:
When, if ever, will we ever see a completely solo Danilo novel?

"Completely solo" brings to mind an episode of M*A*S*H in which Hawkeye suffered a concusion in a jeep crash. He kept himself awake by talking non-stop to a Korean family, who had no clue what he was saying. By the end of the episode, I almost envied them.

In other words, it's very difficult to pull off an intense focus on a single character. I suspect that Elfsong came as close to a solo novel for Danilo as we're going to get.

I've been lobbying for another book in the Songs & Swords series for... I don't know -- years, but the folks at WotC had other ideas. It would probably be even more difficult to get the go-ahead for a project including just ONE of the S&S characters.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 10 Feb 2004 14:14:03
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  14:22:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always thought that if any character from the Song and Swords series would get a completely solo novel it would be Elaith. With all that makes up his past it just seems a novel centered on Elaith would stand up better than one focusing on an N'Tel'Quess.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  07:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sirius. Elaith deserves his own novel. His story , and most of all his future story, would be quite interesting.

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  13:01:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Thank you. Love what you've done with the place.

quote:

"Completely solo" brings to mind an episode of M*A*S*H in which Hawkeye suffered a concusion in a jeep crash. He kept himself awake by talking non-stop to a Korean family, who had no clue what he was saying. By the end of the episode, I almost envied them.

In other words, it's very difficult to pull off an intense focus on a single character. I suspect that Elfsong came as close to a solo novel for Danilo as we're going to get.

I've been lobbying for another book in the Songs & Swords series for... I don't know -- years, but the folks at WotC had other ideas. It would probably be even more difficult to get the go-ahead for a project including just ONE of the S&S characters.

Thanks for the quick response Ms. Cunningham, I appreciate it.

As for the 'solo-novel' query, I understand completely about what you were saying about the difficulty inherent in such an undertaking, I've seen a few bad examples of focus-on-single-character-novels in the past. Still, I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000