Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Medieval Mutants in the Realms: the X-Men
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  05:51:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so a lot of us are comic book fans, and a lot of us have read some or all of the X-titles, and/or seen some or all of the X-Men movies.

Importing various supertypes in the Realms has been mentioned more than once...

So why do I bring this up again?

Because someone has taken the time to reimagine the X-Men as a medieval group, The Order of X, complete with artwork and short backstories.

I quite like some of the artwork, and I think that this can readily serve as inspiration for someone wanting the X-Men or other supertypes in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  06:36:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good artwork and a good idea. If I were to use them in a campaign their powers would have to be nerfed though.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  07:00:09  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would their powers have to be nerfed?

Wolverine could still be disintegrated, Storm is really just a high level druid maybe? I don't see the need to nerf anything...I mean we are talking about worlds where Wish is a spell!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  07:07:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only some of their powers. Cyclops, for instance, has a never ending supply of power that can decimate buildings in a matter of minutes. Imagine if he were to destroy the support columns in a major castle and bring the entire place down. He could do so at will. Granted, he can come under attack and possibly be stopped...but the fact remains that his power supply is infinite and that's something even the gods don't seem to have in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  07:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doubt it. It does not look like he has a visor, but he just covers his eyes, making him essentially blind. Not to mention that each variant multiverse changes the source of powers of heroes, and with it, details of powers. for example, they had none in Noir.
And can nightcrawler really teleport? Maybe his acrobatic agility is all he has?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  14:07:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Really cool art, especially Nightcrawler and Stormbringer. Though I'm not so big on Lady Grey having to use a bow and arrow when she can easily move objects at will.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  14:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can she?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  14:43:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Really cool art, especially Nightcrawler and Stormbringer. Though I'm not so big on Lady Grey having to use a bow and arrow when she can easily move objects at will.

Well, it does mention her TK; it says she enhances her archery with it. I personally like that spin on the character.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  15:11:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Can she?

That depends on which Jean Grey you're asking about, and when.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  15:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly. Maybe this one cannot. Heck, maybe this Lord Xavier can barely do mind probing?

Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  16:02:22  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Can she?

That depends on which Jean Grey you're asking about, and when.

She's been a telekinetic, a telepath, a god-like being, died at least four or five times. A bow seems downright pedestrian for this lady.

Btw, why do I keep picturing Lord Xavier in that chair, floating around on a Tenser's Floating Disc spell? :)

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  19:23:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, you folks are already nerfing their powers...intentionally or otherwise...you're still doing it. I'm just driving at the fact that, as written in most comics, many of their powers would be scaled too high for most settings (including FR) unless your homebrew is extremely powerful. I'm not saying that Larloch or El or many other wizards couldn't do the sorts of things that say, Magneto, could do...just that most home-based campaigns would need to keep many of the potential powers in check somehow.

There are rules for supers (GURPS, for instance) that allows DMs to keep powers in check, but it could be a tightrope balancing act. Personally, I would brand their powers as psionics and approach accordingly. There generally has to be some limit on what is available in a campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  02:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure you could build "superheroes" using the Race Builder rules in the Advanced Race Guide.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  03:41:37  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The solution is simple, guys, and I've already used it. You build up their powers over time the same as with any other adventuring type. Storm would be a half-drow weather mage (2nd ed) or priest of Auril or Akadi(I vote for the Akadi priest as it fits her image as a "goddess" of weather), Wolvie would be a dwarf/half-troll barbarian/ranger, and so on. They would gain more uses of powers as they level, just like any other PCs.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler alert

In the Sundering, the Chosen come off as a religious verison of mutation, less accidental evolution and more intelligent design, but still a very X-Men feel to them.

Side note one of the Authors of the Sundering wrote an X-Men novel, a good one too.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  14:55:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Alystra on this one - why create new rules? I can recreate the characters using existing rules. For instance, just make Wolvie a shifter; he doesn't need anything special to differentiate him from the others - just make him high level (because ALL high level characters are the 'supers' on a D&D world). If he is a level 15+ shifter (I'm thinking levels of Monk and Ranger, but there are lots of ways to go), and every other shifter on the planet is around levels 1-3, then he IS special.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  20:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOLVERINE
Chaotic Good Dwarf Male
5th level Rogue, 10th level Barbarian and 3rd level Ranger

SPEED: 30’

INITIATIVE: +1

STRENGTH: 15 +2 INTELLIGENCE: 13 +1
DEXTERITY: 13 +1 WISDOM: 16 +3
CONSTITUTION: 23 +6 CHARISMA: 16 +3

HIT POINTS: 209

MELEE ATTACKS: 18 / 13 / 8 / 3
RANGED ATTACKS: 17 / 12 / 7 / 2
DAMAGE BONUS: +3

BASE ATTACK: 16 / 11 / 6 / 1
GRAPPLE: 18 (--- Size, +2 Strength, +16 Base)

ARMOR CLASS: 19
Vs. TOUCH: 12
FLAT-FOOTED: 19
(10 Base, +1 Dexterity, +5 Natural, +1 Tumbling and +2 Armor)

FORTITUDE: 17 REFLEX: 9 WILLPOWER: 8

SKILLS TOTALS ABILITIES RANKS MISC.
Appraise 1 Intelligence ---
Balance 7 Dexterity 6 -0 Armor
Bluff 8 Charisma 5
Climb 8 Strength 6 -0 Armor
Concentration 6 Constitution ---
Craft (Trapmaking) 5 Intelligence 4
Decipher Script 2 Intelligence 1
Diplomacy 3 Charisma ---
Disable Device 2 Intelligence 1
Disguise 4 Charisma 1
Escape Artist 2 Dexterity 1 -0 Armor
Forgery 2 Intelligence 1
Gather Information 4 Charisma 1
Handle Animal 9 Charisma 6
Heal 5 Wisdom 2
Hide 9 Dexterity 8 -0 Armor
Intimidate 12 Charisma 9
Jump 8 Strength 6 -0 Armor
Knowledge (Nature) 9 Intelligence 8
Listen 15 Wisdom 12
Move Silently 9 Dexterity 8 -0 Armor
Open Locks 3 Dexterity 2
Perform 3 Charisma ---
Ride 3 Dexterity 2
Search 10 Intelligence 9
Sense Motive 9 Wisdom 6
Slight of Hand 3 Dexterity 2
Spot 15 Wisdom 12
Survival 12 Wisdom 9
Swim 3 Strength 4 -3 Armor
Tumble 6 Dexterity 5
Use Magic Device 6 Charisma 3
Use Rope 4 Dexterity 3

LANGUAGES: Dwarf, Common, Kara-Tur and Read/Write Common

===============================================================
FEATS AND SPECIAL ABILITIES
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARTERIAL STRIKE
With a successful Sneak Attack strikes, you may forgo 1d6 damage to deliver a wound that wont stop bleeding (dealing 1 point per round) until Healed or bound with a Heal Skill Dc 15 Roll. Creatures immune to Critical Strikes are immune to this ability.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLEAVE
Whenever you drop a foe in combat, you gain an immediate extra attack (at the same bonus just used) against another foe in your immediate 5’ area. You may use this only Once per round, and if no foes are present then it is wasted.
Great Cleave
When you drop a foe (as with cleave) you have no limit to the amount of immediate enemies that you may gain a Free-Strike against (though you still only get one Swipe per foe!).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBAT STYLE (Two-weapon Style)
A Ranger must select one of two combat styles to pursue: archery or two-weapon combat. This choice affects the character's class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.
If the ranger selects archery, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.
If the ranger selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.
The benefits of the ranger's chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.
DAMAGE REDUCTION (2 / ---)
At barbarian gains Damage Reduction. Subtract the listed amount from the damage the barbarian takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.
DARKVISION (60’)
This is the ability to see with no light at all. All objects viewed with Darkvision are seen in Black & White, but grants no protection from Illusions, Gaze Attacks or the ability to view the Invisible. The presence of light will not ruin Darkvision, if standing in a 30' light the character can see normally for 30' and beyond with the Darkvision.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ENDURANCE
You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage, Constitution checks made to continue running, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, Constitution checks made to hold your breath, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst, Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments, and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation.
Also, you may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
EVASION
The Character can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion. Evasion is an Exceptional ability.
EXOTIC WEAPON PROFICIENCY (Tiger Claws)
You may select an Exotic weapon and wield it normally. You may take this feat multiple times, each time for a new, unusual weapon. Without this skill, using an exotic weapon confers a –4 to attack rolls.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAST MOVEMENT
A barbarian's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian's speed because of any load carried or armor worn. This is an Exceptional Ability.
FAST HEALING (3 points)
A creature with fast healing has the extraordinary ability to regain hit points at an exceptional rate. Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.
At the beginning of each of the creature's turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description).
Unlike regeneration, fast healing does not allow a creature to regrow or reattach lost body parts. A creature that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs.
FAVORED ENEMY (Were-Creatures)
At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
At every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2.
If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher. Favored Enemy is an Exceptional Ability
GIANT SLAYER
+4 Dodge bonus against Giant-type Monsters, If the dwarf is caught Flat-footed or loses Dexterity bonus for any reason, he is also denied this bonus.
IMPROVED CRITICAL (Tiger Claws)
When using the selected weapon the threat range of the weapon is doubled (2 greater than normal). If the weapon in question is a “keen” weapon the range is quadrupled.
IRON BONES
By some unknown experiment process all of Wolverine’s bones have been removed and replaced with iron. This increases his weight by a factor of and provides a +5 Natural Armor Class bonus.
In addition, wolverine is considered to be wearing gauntlets (allowing an unarmed damage of 1d2) at all times, without suffering any restrictions for doing so.
POWER ATTACK
On your action, before making an Attack Roll you may subtract any amount from your Base Attack Roll and Add a like amount to the Damage a Successful strike will deal.
RACIAL ABILITY MODIFIERS
+2 Constitution
-2 Charisma
RACIAL ENEMIES
Dwarves gain a +1 racial bonus to Attacks Rolls against Orcs, and Goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears and so on)
RACIAL SAVING THROW MODIFIERS
+2 racial bonus on Saves against Poisons
+2 bonus on Saves against Spells and Spell-like Effects
RACIAL SKILL MODIFIERS
+2 racial bonus to Appraise Skill Rolls when applied to rare or exotic items
+2 racial bonus on Craft skills involving Stone or Metal work
RAGE (3 per day)
A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian's hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.)
While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.
A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character's (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else's action and is an Exceptional ability.
REGENERATION (3 points)
Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage, and the creature automatically cures itself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate.
Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn't convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn't go away. The creature's description includes the details. Creatures with regeneration can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts die if they are not reattached.
Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.
Attack forms that don't deal hit point damage ignore regeneration. An attack that can only cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by a weapon that deal it lethal damage.
SCENT
This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30’. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60’. If it is downwind, the range is 15’.
Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges. The creature detects another creature's presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5’ of the scent's source, the creature can pinpoint that source.
A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry's odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights. Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily. False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.
SNEAK ATTACK (+3d6)
If the character can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. Should the character score a Critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.
A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies-undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
SPEED
Dwarves have a Speed of 20’ even under heavy loads or clad in Medium and Heavy Armors
STABILITY
Dwarves are strong on their feet, gaining a +4 bonus to resist a Bull Rush or Tripping Maneuver provided they are firmly on the ground; these bonuses are lost if climbing, in the air or so on.
STONECUTTING
Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus to Notice unusual Stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, unsafe floors and ceilings, and so on. A Dwarf that comes within 10’ of the Stonework is allowed a Check as if actively searching for the condition. Dwarves can fins Stonework Traps as a Rogue can.
SUNDER
When you Attack an Opponent’s weapon, you do not provoke and Attack of Opportunity.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRACKING
When trying to find or follow a target, a Wilderness Lore Check is required. A skill check is required to follow the trail for One mile. A second Skill Roll is required every time the DC Conditions change, when Tracking your speed is reduced by ½. Moving at Normal Speed and trying to Track gives a –5 Penalty to the skill roll.
Terrain Type
Very Soft Ground such as fresh snow, mud DC 5
Soft Ground such as mild mud, heavy dirt DC 10
Firm Ground is Normal Outdoors, Very thick rugs DC 15
Hard Ground such as bare rocks or Indoors DC 20

A failed roll loses the trail for 1 Hour Outdoors, or 10 minutes Indoors. After this time another roll is allowed to regain the trail, though a second failure and the trail is lost.
Modifiers to DC
*Per 3 Creatures tracked –1
*Target size- +8 Fine, +4 Diminutive, +2 Tiny, +1 Small, -1 Large, -2 Huge -4 Gargantuan, -8 Colossal
*Per hour of fresh rain or snow +1
*Fog or Moonlit night +3
*Overcast or Moon-less Night +6
* Target is hiding tracks moving at ½ Speed +5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAPFINDING
Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
A rogue who beats a trap's DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.
TRAP SENSE (+4)
The Character gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack. This bonus is an Exceptional ability
Wolverine gains an additional (stackable) bonus of plus Three from his Barbarian class, improving his total (this bonus is already included)
UNCANNY DODGE
The character retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If the character already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
Improved Uncanny Dodge
This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
WEAPON AND ARMOR TRAINING
Dwarves treat Dwarven Waraxes and Dwarven Urgroshes as Martial Weapons rather than as Exotic weapons.
Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. Rogues are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.
A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).
A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).
WILD EMPATHY
A ranger can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The ranger rolls 1d20 and adds his ranger level and his Charisma bonus to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.
To use wild empathy, the ranger and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal visibility conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.
The ranger can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but he takes a -4 penalty on the check. This is an Exceptional Ability for the Ranger.

WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT
Leather Armor
+2 Armor Class bonus, +6 maximum Dexterity Modifier, No Skill Penalties, weighing 15 pounds and has a 10% Chance of Arcane Spell failure
Tiger Claws
Primary Attacks: 16 / 11 / 6 / 1
Off-hand Attack: 16

Dealing 1d6 Slashing damage with a Critical Strike on 16-20 (x2 damage)
Wolverine’s claws have been bonded inside his forearms and can extend or retract as an Exceptional ability. They are considered +3 Magical weapons (but are not magical) and can slice through Non-living objects, ignoring 12 points of hardness.

HISTORY AND GAME PLAY
James Logan remembers little more than nothing of his own past. He can recall that some vague men captured him and performed some unique experiments on him that granted him the Claws, Regeneration and Fast Healing that were intended to make him a deadly weapon. But before this all he can recall is a blinding rage and the vast wilderness of the North.
After his escape from the experimenters he was recruited as a spy and agent for the kingdom of Cormyr for a number of decades before leaving the kingdom and returning to the Sword Coast. His travels for the kingdom sent him to Kara Tur for a number of years.
Unlike most dwarves, Logan was shaved before the experiment that granted him his healing abilities. This experiment restores him to his previous condition (unshaved) automatically and he cannot regrow a beard. This has estranged him from most of his racial kin and many feel uncomfortable around him.
Gruff, blunt and overconfident Wolverine will rarely back down from a perceived challenge and has a strong sense of honor and justice. He has been trained with many weapons over the decades but relies almost exclusively on his unique claws.

Ex-Barbarians
A barbarian who becomes lawful loses the ability to rage and cannot gain more levels as a barbarian. He retains all the other benefits of the class (Damage Reduction, Fast Movement, Trap Sense, and Uncanny Dodge).

A wolvie I made up from awhile ago. 3.5 obviously. Ive got files for most of the X-men. Cyclops would make a great Warlock with his powers from his eyes. Though I did him as a Sorcerer with Disintegrate, Magic Missile, Force Blast and so on, all just from the eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  23:37:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough, that's not far off how I would have built him- just replace the rogue with monk and even out the barbarian and ranger levels, and viola! Other Marvel or DC characters can be done the same way. Spidey makes a darn good monk/wizard, BTW. I've even played him as a D&D Pc/NPC, and he's a blast!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  07:23:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the powers and what-not go, it would really depend on the edition used. For example the Shadow Assassin in 4e gets at-will teleport (with restrictions and limitations). By making a Tiefling Assassin with Two-Weapon Fighting, I essentially created Azazel from Marvel (the guy is awesome too).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  08:32:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does he have Kara-Tur as a language?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  13:35:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow great artwork. It would actually be pretty cool is they had some sort of cross comic or novel in which the X men visit Toril.
Sigh....
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  19:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Why does he have Kara-Tur as a language?

Because original E-616 Wolverine is quite good with Japan and it's culture, knows the language and his honor system is mostly based on that noble tradition.

Not to say that should be must. Just a possible reference. Imagination is limit. I do not talk about nerfing, just allowing some flexibility with history.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  20:15:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn it Sill, you beat me to it, LOL! Yes, Logan has learned Japanese and is thoroughly familiar with their culture, as shown in both the comics and in the latest movie. He spent several years in Japan- I believe it was back during the 80's or 90's comic run- and adopted the Bushido code of honor while there. So it would make sense to give him the Kara-Tur language here.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  08:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen the Order of X on DA and those stats for Wolverine are just perfect.

Any more coming?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000