Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Would like to play
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  01:23:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is anyone running a game over the web at a site like rpol.net? Or perhaps one of the 'tabletop' sites? Just wondering as I am tired of not playing the game. It has been several years now as my last group disbanded and I refused to play 4e (rules or FR).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  01:27:16  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better yet, Markustaaaaaay...are you planning on ever running a game for your Misbegotten Realms on such a site? If you ever do...I WANT A PM about it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  02:27:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, just running stuff for my younger 2 boys right now (12 and 16). I plan to run a more formal game after the holidays on a weekly basis over at my eldest son's new house - I built an 'ultimate man-cave' based on my own mid-20's dream apartment, and my sons needs (and their geeky friends).

Should be a blast.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  16:56:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever considered PBeM. It really isnt as bad as it's made out to be, just slower.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  17:28:33  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ultimate man-cave?

I demand pictures and descriptions of it!

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  23:10:36  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I've never PBeM, precisely because it would be so slow...but at this point ANYTHING is better than nothing. I'm curious how you prevent people from cheating by PBeM?

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  23:21:37  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm right there with you Arcanamach. I have not played in MANY years, cannot find a group at all. I am limited with resources in which to play , mainly lack of players and material. Like I said, it's been many years. Still debating on my character and edition to play under.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  11:46:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think most people run PBeM where the DM makes all the rolls. That frees the pkayers up so they can do pure roleplay.
Its a bit weird at first but I havent had any complaints so far.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  12:06:39  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it's easier seeing as we all don't possess the needed materials to play without shelling out some cash. Makes it easier anyway I assume, as the DM is in charge of the realm you play in a sense.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  15:37:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once you get into PBeM it is actually the best way to play for a DM.

You get much more time to prepare conversations. You can also add pictures and music files to add atmosphere.
You can email people privately without anyone knowing and you can fudge things with ease.

The only downside is keeping the players engaged and for that you need excellent language and storytelling skills to make the descriptions come alive. Oh and finding a map tool to set out the encounters can be a pain, I use google docs/drive.

In fact having run face to face and PBeM games I will only now run email games. Its especially great playing DnD at work.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  15:51:55  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Once you get into PBeM it is actually the best way to play for a DM.

You get much more time to prepare conversations. You can also add pictures and music files to add atmosphere.
You can email people privately without anyone knowing and you can fudge things with ease.

The only downside is keeping the players engaged and for that you need excellent language and storytelling skills to make the descriptions come alive. Oh and finding a map tool to set out the encounters can be a pain, I use google docs/drive.

In fact having run face to face and PBeM games I will only now run email games. Its especially great playing DnD at work.

Well I hope to return to the game in the future. Still reading things about the newer editions I missed, and TRYING to create my character.

It seems more streamlined than table top, which I still miss. But it is difficult without other players nearby to do so. So this seems a bit easier.

Well nowadays, the easiest way to find groups and campaigns to play, is online. Which I do not mind or anything, I just need to brush up A LOT on everything. Because I do not know which edition most people enjoy playing and I will need to accommodate my character to THOSE rules. but for now, I am just making mine based off 3.5e, most people I noticed like that edition.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  17:57:14  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im just leary of playing without a table. For me, half the fun is engaging with other people (you know, the banter, jokes, meeting new people AND actually visiting outside the game). But for someone who hasn't played in several years, going online (email or otherwise) is the only option at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  18:17:14  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Im just leary of playing without a table. For me, half the fun is engaging with other people (you know, the banter, jokes, meeting new people AND actually visiting outside the game). But for someone who hasn't played in several years, going online (email or otherwise) is the only option at this point.

Oh yes, I quite enjoyed table top. But without other players and 10 years from being away from the game, PBeM is my only option. I'd love the good ole feeling of playing with a great group of active players. But alas, I cannot. Plus I am so far behind on editions, lore, and everything else that no one is willing to take in a 'noob'. Which I admit, I am. But only because when I first played it wasn't a long campaign, it was very short and basic. So my experience with the game is minimum.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  18:55:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the banter and jokes are all present in an email game, but its all in character. You will be surprised how much more people open up in an email game, there is no embarrassment, no reservations, everyone plays their character how they envisioned it and as long as the rules are agreed upon before hand things cant go wrong.

As the DM it is your job to keep things flowing. I ask that players post at least every other day, and while things are interesting we manage to get through a round a day (in combat) or a whole conversation (out of combat). When the posts dry up (because people don't know what to say or begin to lose interest) you need a bag of tricks up our sleeve to keep things lively.

I throw an encounter at them (doesn't necessarily mean a combat encounter) if they are out of combat, and if they are already in combat I just skip their turn. In fact if no one has posted in 48 hours I just skip ahead a bit and that wakes people up - especially in combat, everyone suddenly starts posting when the orcs they are fighting get another go.

I think everyone comes up with their own rules on how to play. I operate on a round robin - so everyone gets one post and then when I make my post everyone gets another go. Obviously combat posting is done on initiative but surprisingly in an email game the combat is not the main focus of the game like in a face to face session.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  19:26:44  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So instead of doing turns and randomly making jokes and talking outside of the game, it's all in game jokes and talking? That is not a bad way to play really, puts more 'role' in the Role playing aspect of the game. The DM's rules, as I recall, usually are pretty laid back and decent. Depending on the person who DMs the game.

Well see, I like that! You would not ask too much of the players, especially if it's people who cannot get on very often. Whats a trick you're known for, or prefer to use? Specifically?

Well naturally, I doubt anyone wants to be beaten by orcs when they started off with the upper hand.

That play style makes it easier for others, like myself, who are used to turn based person-to-person play. That is more of my style, combat is a necessity in these campaigns. But with me, I prefer 30-40% Combat, and 60-70% Role Play. Something to make me think, get creative, and use my imagination to escape into THAT particular realm we're are in.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  20:09:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Ultimate man-cave?

I demand pictures and descriptions of it!
The carpet's going in Wed - I'll take some after that.

Picture if you will a huge living-room area with a 6' TV (and full home theater), with all three major game systems in the wall (just below the cable box). No wires showing, of course - I hate clutter.

Then put a bar in the corner - a nice one, with fancy lights. Not some cheesy home bar - one that looks like it belongs in a pub (I have the sink in - still working on figuring where to put taps).

The pool table is on order, and he plans a foosball table and maybe a couple of old-school video games (including at least one pinball machine). Those will probably go in the den, though, so as not to interfere with Superbowl watching.

As for decor - signed comic and sports memorabilia everywhere.

Did I mention there are TWO stripper poles?

(Not really - they are the basement supports... but they could be stripper poles...)

And, of course, nightly gaming, ranging from poker games to RPGs to boardgames to beer pong to Zombies!

I decided not to wait until I die to go to heaven - I decided to build my own. My two older boys live there (along with some of their friends and my niece), so I got to 'play' without spending any of my own money. Just 7 months of my time (thus far).

I did put a Roman-style 8'x5' shower in upstairs (with 5 shower heads), but the hottub, jacuzzi, and Olympic size inground pool all came with the house. Its not that I think they'll have problems getting people to hangout, its that I think they won't be able to get anyone to go home.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2013 13:27:22
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  12:33:25  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn! I can forsee it to become the favored hangout for gaming groups in the area if you aim for that. I´d even bunker down there if i had the opportunity!

I approve of the "poles"

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  12:36:03  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think all of us would, Lord Bane. Haha

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  14:28:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well the banter and jokes are all present in an email game, but its all in character. You will be surprised how much more people open up in an email game, there is no embarrassment, no reservations, everyone plays their character how they envisioned it and as long as the rules are agreed upon before hand things cant go wrong.

As the DM it is your job to keep things flowing. I ask that players post at least every other day, and while things are interesting we manage to get through a round a day (in combat) or a whole conversation (out of combat). When the posts dry up (because people don't know what to say or begin to lose interest) you need a bag of tricks up our sleeve to keep things lively.

I throw an encounter at them (doesn't necessarily mean a combat encounter) if they are out of combat, and if they are already in combat I just skip their turn. In fact if no one has posted in 48 hours I just skip ahead a bit and that wakes people up - especially in combat, everyone suddenly starts posting when the orcs they are fighting get another go.

I think everyone comes up with their own rules on how to play. I operate on a round robin - so everyone gets one post and then when I make my post everyone gets another go. Obviously combat posting is done on initiative but surprisingly in an email game the combat is not the main focus of the game like in a face to face session.

Sounds good to me except for the slow speed of the game. Everything else is great.

@Markus: I'm jealous of that man cave...seriously, I wish I had enough cheddar for that place.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  16:08:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So do I - I just got to have fun building it (and constantly arguing with my son about things I considered important that he didn't want to pay for... I'll still get that disco ball, mark my words!)

My son just got lucky enough to happen to fall into a situation that allowed him to take-over his grandmother's old house (she passed about 9 years ago - my ex's mom), and happened to have the right resources to make it all happen (the place was abandoned for years - it was completely trashed when he got it). So it was truly a 'labor of love', on all counts.

Even my ex is happy with me... and that never happens.

And I look like a great guy for putting in 7 months of free labor to help my kids, even though it wasn't as selfless as everyone thinks... they may have thought I was just kidding when I said my price would be to get to run games there until the end of time.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2013 16:09:08
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  02:50:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone running a game on a site or by email that needs a new player? I promise I play well with others. :P

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  04:18:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, play by email can provide dice rollers, or used to that would email dice results to both DM and player.

There is also web chat sites that can provide a dice roller. Many of them are freeflow, however nothing prevents such sites being DM ruled.

As to main question, I am not aware of any current PbeM at this time.

In fact I host a rather anemic chat site, almost dead, that could use players.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  19:41:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has a game running or is interested in getting one started...I'm dying over here!

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  00:08:04  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this will help, but my DM's just started a FR/Pathfinder campaign (set pre-ToT), and, as I've mentioned from time to time, I'm recreating my dad's old world*. (Unfortunately, unless you live anywhere near Colorado Springs, Colorado, this information is probably completely useless -__-'. Sorry.)

*Of course, at the rate I'm going, I'll probably be finished when D&D 10e is released -__-'.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  01:15:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has a game running or is interested in getting one started...I'm dying over here!

Well I did offer one idea already, I can offer another idea though depending on what you really want for a game might make that hard to do.

I offered a webchat before, with dice roller as a possible option of doing a game.

Play by post on a forum is the next offer, this has the benefit of retention of posts that a webchat does not provide to all users. Here I might be able to arrange for a group section that only approved members could access, of course not counting the moderators or admin.

Rules of play certainly can be enforced, that much I can assure. It of course is worth noting very hard to have a game without players and a DM that can at minimum make the quest, location, events interesting enough. I can not provide that to you. My map making skills are not that good and never was a fan of images. The level of play of course can be an issue as well. My realms lore clearly not the best if one is looking for realms themed play.

Starting any game needs two and should have about 5. I can offer some locations and types of play, I can not make a game happen.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  22:27:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Kentinal somehow I missed the offer. I'd be happy to give either one a try. Please PM me with any details needed for play.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  01:43:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry Kentinal somehow I missed the offer. I'd be happy to give either one a try. Please PM me with any details needed for play.

PM sent *S*

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  02:06:52  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are you all located that are looking for a game?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  02:15:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cards, I have no idea. Discussion right now is play by the net one way or a few other ways.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  03:12:25  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just dropping by to share my experiences with RPOL and PbP in general. Currently in a 2E game with several Candlekeep scribes, as well as some recruits from RPOL. It's a pretty smooth PbP experience for the last year and a half. There are lulls and fast points. The pace is slower than other games. Player interaction is done through an out of character thread so it's not like all chatter is character or game related. I'm able to get more into character through text than face-to-face. I highly recommend PbP or PBeM as a supplement or substitute for those who want to play but can't find a group. Online play has been my only consistent avenue for gaming since my group scattered into the winds of college.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  09:34:14  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DW: I can't seem to find ANYTHING at RPol and the site seems a bit counter intuitive as well (but maybe it's just me). I've been invited to a game at Roll20 that may be promising but will have to see how it goes.

Cards: I'm in the U.S. (central time zone) but have had very little luck getting a face-to-face game going so am trying the net now.

Some games are 'freeform' but I'm leery of them as I prefer the structure of a ruleset (even if they aren't adhered to 100%).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000