Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Would like to play

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Arcanamach Posted - 05 Dec 2013 : 01:23:49
Is anyone running a game over the web at a site like rpol.net? Or perhaps one of the 'tabletop' sites? Just wondering as I am tired of not playing the game. It has been several years now as my last group disbanded and I refused to play 4e (rules or FR).
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 11 Jul 2014 : 06:47:32
Who from this group played Hansel Grimm? Or was that one of Cyril's other players?
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Mar 2014 : 12:01:50
Okay folks, I'm currently in a game with Cyril over at rpol.net and it's coming along great. I am now putting together a Bloodstone Lands campaign based on the original adventures from that region. We have 2 possibly 3 players (plus myself as the DM) and could use a total of 7. PCs are not starting at level 15 like the modules. We are starting at 1st level just as the initial assault on the region begins.

I run a very homebrew system with elements from various systems and I'm trying to capture much of the OGB feel for the game (so not using unusual races like drow/tieflings/dragonborn). Anyway, if anyone is interested in playing best of Good-aligned PCs let me know. I'll send you document with my homebrew system and we'll go from there.

I'm looking for adults who can actively post (once a day minimum) and get along well with others.

Caladan, we are full in Cyril's game but you're welcome to join mine.

Cheers.
Caladan Brood Posted - 08 Mar 2014 : 07:09:51
I would love joining you guys but I have no clue at all about D&D 3. If you really need more people I am willing if you give me a finished character I can roleplay :) If not I understand.
Fendrikor Posted - 07 Mar 2014 : 15:16:16
Its been very enjoyable. im loving it :)
Cyril Lokner Posted - 02 Mar 2014 : 17:22:03
What we have right now is:
A Dawnmaiden of Lathander (cleric), female human
A Soldier of the Freedom Riders (fighter), male human
A Warmage, male human
An Abjurer, male human
A Stormlord of Talos (druid), male human
The Arcanamach Posted - 02 Mar 2014 : 04:03:28
What class of PC do we need Cyril? My wife is interested in learning how to play. With her being new I would likely have her go with Rogue or Fighter.
Cyril Lokner Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 20:57:57
I'm still looking for one or two more to join in the play-by-post game I'm running at http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=58719&date=1393707299. The level of participation is a post a day. I need players that can submit their characters ASAP as I have other players waiting to start. One group is well on their way and things are moving along nicely.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 18:35:21
I like the style Cyril does the gme, and the pbp, while being slower paced than a regular game, is very relaxed and also playable when usy in rl.
The Arcanamach Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 10:38:09
I certainly recommend joining us in Cyril's game. It has gotten off to a decent start I think and is progressing well enough. I certainly welcome the chance to do a bit of creative writing/roleplaying.
Cyril Lokner Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 04:11:47
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

How's the game shaping up?

And the group for that matter.

I feel like we're getting off to a good start. Two PCs have gone through their preludes and are developing relationships with key NPCs and their reasons to join in the adventure. One PC is still going through their prelude but should be joining the other two soon. I'm still waiting for the back story and stats from a fourth player. I wouldn't mind getting one or more two on board before the first chapter starts. The Arcanamach, Frendrikor, and Jakuta Khan haven't quit yet so I must be keeping them mildly entertained. I do appreciate their patience for a play-by-post game.
Dark Wizard Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 01:36:06
How's the game shaping up?

And the group for that matter.
Fendrikor Posted - 04 Feb 2014 : 12:05:10
I am enjoying it thus far :) Cyril is a great DM <---- Rave review
Cyril Lokner Posted - 04 Feb 2014 : 03:24:16
We could use a couple more players for a play-by-post game I'm running at http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=58719&date=1391289155. A couple of people who indicated interest backed out. This play-by-post is for scribes here at Candlekeep exclusively. Please go the the website, look over the character creation post, and if you're still interested, request to join by posting your character concept and we'll go from there.

Cheers!
The Arcanamach Posted - 31 Jan 2014 : 00:26:19
Jakuta, PM Cyril Lokner he's DMing our game on rpol.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 30 Jan 2014 : 20:09:20
Ok no Problem, I did not know you Need Money to Setup something there.

Would you mind sharing your game Name on rpol ? I seriously would like to join in.
Fendrikor Posted - 30 Jan 2014 : 13:29:49
My character is almost finished - I have a Write up done. I will private message it to Cyril
Cyril Lokner Posted - 30 Jan 2014 : 04:47:20
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Cyric, If you want to do a PbP game, try roll20.com in my opinion the best platform currently around.

Jakuta ~ I checked out roll20.net but since I use mobile devices a lot, I'm going to pass on it for now as I'm not ready to spend the money to get that to work. It does look like a cleaner platform than that of rpol.net. I have set up a game over at rpol.net and I'm working with one player right now to learn how to use the site. I appreciate the info!
Jakuta Khan Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 15:50:46
@cyric:

Cyric, If you want to do a PbP game, try roll20.com in my opinion the best platform currently around.
The Arcanamach Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 01:44:33
Deleted in favor of posting question in Running the Realms section.
Fendrikor Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 08:30:24
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Count me in if you decide to run a pbp game Cyril.

I would also play, if only to see the Cyril Lockner edition of Daggerdale :P
Dark Wizard Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 07:09:48
PbP/PBeM games using 2E were/are some of the best ones I've played.
Some of the most swashbuckling, freewheeling, wild adventure ones too.

Some of the most compelling Realms game premises I've seen or started but never found a lasting game to see them develop:

- The Weeping War draws to a close. You are the N'Vaelahr. Myth Drannor is lost. Yet there remains work to be done. What steps are you willing to take to preserve Cormanthyr.

- They emerged from underground. With swift sword and magic they slaughtered your village and kidnapped you from your home. You are a random slave in a Drow caravan headed deeper and deeper into the Underdark. Your fate would be decided had your captors not been raided themselves by one of the mysterious dangers of the realms below. More guards move away to help their brethren until none remain. Then all is silent. You and your fellow slaves are suddenly alone and abandoned, far from home and out of your element in the dark, dark below.

- A band of rapscallions try their hand at a piece of the Border Kingdoms (or any similar area).

- A freetrading crew of a ship sailing up and down the Sword Coast and the Shining Sea. Whether transporting dangerous cargo, taking on mysterious passengers, fighting pirates, being pirates, playing the commodities routes, or getting into trouble at port... yeah, this one can't go wrong, with the right group.

- Similarly, a mercenary company.

- The all elf or all dwarf party (though my current game comes close). One is on official business for the People. The other seeks to reclaim or rebuild a clanhold (like the Hobbit or Dwarf Fortress), also similar to the Border Kingdom concept.

- Evil adventurers, in it for the gold, magic, and power. Definitely need the right group for this. They're functionally evil. They get rid of problems for a price and won't stab you in the back afterwards, because that's bad for customer relations. Customer services however, you're on your own, sheeps.

- The gonzo party, with all humanoids and unusual races. Some 3E groups resemble this.

- The themed party: All knights of the same or related orders. Or an ethnic/national group all Cormyreans, or Sembians, Thayans, or Calishite, etc. Or something like all the apprentices of a wizard or acolytes of a temple.
Dalor Darden Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 04:46:13
I love the 2e system also...the only thing I disliked about it was the changes to classes (removal of Assassins and Bards as they were...but even this could be re-done with the class creation tables in the DMG). The magic system in 2e I consider to be the Golden Age of Dungeons and Dragons Magic! I have BOOKS full of spells and magical items (the Encyclopedia Series was awesome!).
Hoondatha Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 04:13:32
No. 3e's magic item creation system is one of the things I most despise about it. 2e's system is mysterious and flexible and, well, magical. 3e's is an assembly line, with all the romanticism or interest of two rocks banging together. I find 2e's magic system works quite well as designed.
The Arcanamach Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 03:18:26
So Hoondatha, have you added any 3e elements (metamagic, [modified] item creation rules, PFs bonded items, etc) to your games?
The Arcanamach Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 02:48:55
Count me in if you decide to run a pbp game Cyril.
Cyril Lokner Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 02:29:35
quote:
Originally posted by Fendrikor

Cyril, if you ran a game - would it be set in daggerdale??

Yes it would.
Fendrikor Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 02:28:01
Cyril, if you ran a game - would it be set in daggerdale??
Hoondatha Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 00:45:12
Cyril: Here's the link to my game on rpol. Most of it is open to the public and you're welcome to poke around in it to see how at least one long-running game has used the site's features.

http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Arcan: I've never yet seen a good grafting of 3e's feats/skills onto 2e. While I agree that a skill point system is more realistic than proficiencies, it's a massive pain in the neck to create any character above 1st level. 3e is designed to more or less handle them, while 2e isn't.

Personally, I've found 2e to be better suited to pbp games. It was designed to be much more "theater of the mind," with a flexible and open-ended system. You can throw out just about any part of the ruleset and it still works. 3e is much more rigid. Not saying that it's impossible, mind you; I have played 3e pbp in the past and I'm sure I will again, but it's not nearly as easy to run as 2e.
The Arcanamach Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 15:38:17
Cyril, so far the email game I'm playing is fine. I will say it can be slow going but then we are in very different time zones (dazzlerdal is the DM and he is in the UK whereas I'm in the U.S., for instance). Still, if all goes well I think these email games can work just fine, especially if you're playing with folks who can access email throughout the day.

Hoondatha, I like 2e from a 'flavor' approach moreso than 3e but I gotta say I much prefer the feats and skill system from 3e. Dunno if you would want to marry the two into a single game though. Also, there are some differences that are jarring when trying to join the two systems. The rounds being changed from 60 to 6 seconds has several effects on spells in 2e and the stacking system for bonuses in 3e is rather different than 2e.

My main problem with 3e is the multiclass system. Although I get the logic behind the it I still don't agree with its execution. For instance, a Ftr10/Wiz10 is a level 20 character in 3e, but I don't think the Ftr/Wiz is a match for a Wiz20. I would consider the Ftr/Wiz on par with a Wiz15 or 16 but no higher and I think that may be stretching it. I would prefer simply assuming that a character is equal to his/her highest level and adjust the CR of creatures encountered accordingly. So you might send a CR15 creature against the Ftr/Wiz above.

Heh, forgot to mention my other problem with 3e...the rapid XP gains. I mean a bloke can go from 1 to 20 in very short order. I much prefer XP be reduced or strictly story-based or something to mitigate this. Truth be told, I prefer point-based over level-based systems anyway.
Cyril Lokner Posted - 27 Jan 2014 : 14:35:48
Ive been watching this thread develope with the idea that I might run a game. I went in briefly to RPOL and was immediatly turned off. I'll go back and give it a little mote time.

I haven't been in a group for several years as life keeps us from getting together in a consistant manner. I've never done any play by post, email, etc. so I worry that I may struggle with the flow or adimistration side of things.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000