Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Exotic animal/magical beast mounts of Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  18:36:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just recently went to the Order of the Stick website and saw that they had up new t-shirts, some of which were from their monsters for every season line. It made me think, it'd be nice to have a comprehensive list of "what people ride". I'm not talking the entirely fantastic things like people taming dragons. However, I wouldn't kick out magical creatures like giant owls, griffons, etc... where people can form up a group of them and it not be the most elite things in the world. With that said, I figure I'll throw out a handful and then let people throw in their own weird add-ons. I may add some notes beside each like "mainly in the Shaar" or "arctic dwarves in the frozen north"

bear/dire bear
lion / dire lion
tiger / dire tiger
panther - medium mount I think
dire goat
boar/dire boar
dire ram
dire stag/deer
dire antelope
moose / dire moose
buffalo/rothe
wolf
worg
walrus - arctic dwarves
dire weasel
dire badger - medium mount
dire wolverine
displacer beast

flying mounts
griffon -
hippogriff -
Pegasus - Particularly common with the Flying Hunt of Nimbral
asperii -
wyvern - large
giant owl -
giant eagle - large
dire bat

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  19:55:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You left dragons off of the lust of flying mounts.

And Emrock Uerngulphim, described in the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set, rides a mantari (a flying manta ray).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  20:02:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons are not mounts, they sometimes just allow others to fly with them. *G*

The Roc clearly can be a mount as well as some flying dinosaurs, just not sure if they have been found and tamed in the Realms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  21:09:37  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Thay there are black unicorns (3e Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun) ridden by evil female soldiers (with one unit of note composed entirely of Cyricist female worshippers).

When my players confronted Emperor Naltecoma in Maztica i made him ride a battletitan (from 3e Monster Manual III).
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  21:55:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lizard, the Drow use them in the underdark.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  23:53:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
specifically left off dragons and unicorns, as typically those are mounts only for a hero... not a mount that might be bred and sold where there might be small units with the same mount (or where PC's might make a cavalry unit with the same animal). Granted, in the case of unicorns, in the church of Mielikki or Lurue, they might be able to field a small force of unicorn mounted heroes.

riding lizards, a good catch.

dinosaurs might be doable in Chult, but probably not the rest of Toril.

black unicorns, good catch. I had left off regular unicorns, because like dragons I consider them a type of mount where you're generally not going to field a complete unit of such. However, the black unicorns... yes, there are such units.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  09:36:19  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ostriches and elephants, at least in some regions (Chult, maybe)? Are there Dire ostriches? Can you find and mount Mammooths and Mastodons in cold regions? They were the regular mounts of some barbarians in Netheril times. Are mobats dire bats? And giant ravens? IIRC, some Uthgardt ride giant ravens. What about rust monster, or other giant arthropods?

Only as a curio, asperii and giant eagles (as pegasi and griffons) are regularly mounted by elves. In Evereska, there are flights of eagles and an order of asperii riders. In Evermeet, pegasus, eagles again and a small unity of dragons, but once again they are only a few, and allies, not simple mounts.

PS: the advantage of mounting displacer beasts is that they come with the reins...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 02 Dec 2013 09:36:55
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  11:28:00  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The magical mount I liked best is the Nightmare, like the one Artemis has.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  13:24:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt now rides a unicorn steed, named Andahar.

Regweld Harpell road a half-horse, half-frog mount, called Puddlejumper.

They sell/rent camels down around Calimport. (I'm not sure if you consider that exotic enough, but it's pretty exotic for real life!)

Lady's Alustriel's chariot was borne by flaming stallions.

Regis once charmed and road a mountain giant named Junger into battle.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  13:57:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Ostriches and elephants, at least in some regions (Chult, maybe)? Are there Dire ostriches? Can you find and mount Mammooths and Mastodons in cold regions? They were the regular mounts of some barbarians in Netheril times. Are mobats dire bats? And giant ravens? IIRC, some Uthgardt ride giant ravens. What about rust monster, or other giant arthropods?

Only as a curio, asperii and giant eagles (as pegasi and griffons) are regularly mounted by elves. In Evereska, there are flights of eagles and an order of asperii riders. In Evermeet, pegasus, eagles again and a small unity of dragons, but once again they are only a few, and allies, not simple mounts.

PS: the advantage of mounting displacer beasts is that they come with the reins...

very good additions. I know there were some orcs that mounted ostrich like creatures listed in I think Savage Frontier. I can't believe I left off mammoth/mastodon. Giant Ravens too make a good addition, and they're probably easier to raise than say giant eagles/owls (probably easier to kill too, but for say couriers that want to fly over a particularly nasty area of terrain....).

You mention rust monster, and I actually now recall that there's a dwarven group of druids that actually use rust monster mounts. I can definitely see some other underground civilizations using them (say quaggoths, troglodytes, maybe derro).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  22:38:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players once had a PC dwarf who rode a giant slug. Don‘t laugh until ye look the wee beastie up, it‘s surprisingly formidable.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  22:55:15  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I read somewhere concerning behirs being bread for defense and as mounts. Halruaa mayhaps? Will have to go check on it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  16:49:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rothe - Riders of Thentia (due to rocky terrain).
Deep Rothe - various.
Spiders (steeders) - duergar.
There are 2 species of ride-able Underdark lizards, though typically one is used as a mount and another as a beast of burden.
Giant Mantari - Vleem, snow mantari of Emrock Uerngul "the Mad Merchant".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  17:15:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Giant Mantari - Vleem, snow mantari of Emrock Uerngul "the Mad Merchant".

Hmmm, I'm surprised no one mentioned him before...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  16:19:29  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's not FR, but in DragonLance there are ogres mounted on baluchitheriums (now also known as paraceratheriums or indricotheriums). I think Giantcraft also has some kind of giant or ogre mounts. Are there dire camels? In Al Q'adim we have the Camel of the Pearl, I think it can be a mount to a large rider. I think both bactrian camels and dromedaries would be used, as all the deer/stag varieties (elk, reindeer, caribou). When you talk about buffalo, are you mentioning the bison or the water buffalo? I think both would be possible. Rhinos? What about the Opinicus? Are Nic'Epona exclusive to Planescape?

EDIT: The name of the creature in GC is "Krotter", but it seems to be a pack animal, not used as a mount.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 04 Dec 2013 16:29:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: