Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Restarting a Campaign in FR (Icewind Dale)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  06:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, the last major campaign I DM'd was in Dragonlance. After a while it fizzled out, became boring for all of us so we retired it and have yet to play again. I have really been stumped on what campaign world to fire up. We like to start new somewhere and turn it into an epic campaign. For weeks now I have been trying to decide on a world and area to begin with and am seriously thinking of returning back to Forgotten Realms, specifically the Icewind Dale region.

#1 I like Snow :D
#2 It is secluded away from the rest of the world and can really be focused on I think.
#3 it is not a huge region and this would make it easier for my group to learn the area, towns and people.
#4 I like Snow lol ;)

Anyways ...... I do not see a lot of stuff on this region so what I am asking is for anyone and everyone to post links to sites that detail this region, links for maps and for sure Adventures and/or adventure hooks, names of any adventures printed for this region. To refresh myself I am going to restart reading the Dark Elf series. It has been many years sibnce last I read any of those books and I actually only made it like 7 books in to all those books so this will be fun, plus it should totally refresh me on the Icewind Dale region and it's people.

Anyways if you guys could start spamming links and names of books I can look at for getting the campaign adventure reading, I would be very appreciative.

-James

PS: I am not sure which timeline to run, I just thought of this, the original timeline or the Sundering timeline (which I know nothing about, got to read up on that) Would appreciate suggestions on which timeframe is the overall best one to run with.

Thank You Everyone

Edited by - Damaja on 18 Nov 2013 00:35:38

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  06:31:51  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a map you may like:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TguFDEuVoI4/S6vMDAUCUII/AAAAAAAAAsc/_R9u0Kke_eg/s1600/Sword_Coast_North_Map__canon_by_allmynicksweretaken.jpg

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  07:25:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well there is this site: but its purchase me stuff
http://www.dndclassics.com/

Volo's guide to teh north, the savage north and some others might have stuff on ice wind dale.

there is also this( it might be your best bet)http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Legend-Drizzt-Philip-Athans/dp/0786949155/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384673049&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=readers+guid+to+drizzt+dourden

and this is a few days

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/sundering2

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  15:11:47  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiction:
Sojourn
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem
Passage to Dawn
The Silent Blade
Sea of Swords
The Pirate King
"Iruladoon"
Gauntlgrym
"To Legend He Goes"
The Last Threshold ??? (Haven't read it yet, but maybe)
The Companions ???

Sourcebooks:
The Savage Frontier
Hall of Heroes
Forgotten Realms Atlas (Fondstad)
Volo's Guide to the North
The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier
The Accursed Tower
The North Timeline--Revised (Krashos)
A Reader's Guide to RAS's The Legend of Drizzt (color maps of all 10 of the Ten-Towns!)
Legacy of the Crystal Shard

Video Games:
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II

Timeline and Adventure Ideas:

No matter when you choose to set your campaign, Icewind Dale has been a rugged, uninviting place for as long as anyone knows. Its hard soil, cold air, biting namesake wind, yetis, winter wolves, crag cats, hoar foxes, polar bears, taers, verbeegs, frost giants, orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, gnolls, bugbears, ogres, trolls, white dragons, polar worms, constrictor snakes, glacier snakes, frost lizards, giant owls/lynxes, barbarians, and backstabbing vagabond villagers have provided reliable adventure fodder in any era.

There appears to be some murky background lore on Icewind Dale's ancient past, which has only been dribbled to us in small amounts.

- Long ago, Illusk Northmen voyagers traveled north to resettle, and eventually became the Reghedmen barbarians (TN--GTTSF, TNT--R).

- "Iruladoon" tells us that even some elves used to live way up north, too. They found a forest on Lac Dinneshere, which magically appears and disappears over time, and then gave it a name meaning "place without time".

- Other people have moved there, and away therefrom, ever since, just to get away from the rest of the world.

In the 1200s DR, the Luskan necromancer Damien Morienus voyaged to Maer Dualdon and erected a tower, then went mad and began experimenting upon elderly barbarians. His wife leaves him for one barbarian prince, and Damien sics demons on him. The demons melt the snow and ice in their pursuit of the barbarian, which causes a massive thaw in the Dale ("the Great Thaw"), and topples Damien's tower, sealing him inside as an undead (TAT).

People have used the three lakes for seasonal fishing for an unknown length of time. Earlier lore held that it was not until the 1200s DR that the knucklehead trout was discovered in the lakes (TCSh). But later lore tells us that the Dinev family built the namesake castle of the town Caer-Dineval in 1080 DR (ARGTRASTLOD). It appears that the knucklehead trout may have actually been discovered, and forgotten, and rediscovered, many different times; squabbling over fishing rights may have led to the mutual eradication of all would-be discoverers, until the last major discovery in the 1200s.

At any rate, the 1200s discovery provided for the greatest growth in Ten-Towns, from a loose collection of shanty-towns into an actual confederation, complete with a council, militia, and multiple fleets on the three lakes (TCSh).

Refugees from Clan Battlehammer resettled in Icewind Dale around 1183 DR, under the leadership of a young King Bruenor (TSF), where Bruenor would remain until 1356 DR (TCSh, SOSi). In this time, the dwarves would discover a workable body of mines, fend off a monster and/or barbarian raid or two, and establish a thriving business as craftsmen. Battlehammer dwarves are said to have built the Principal Spokesman's palace in Bryn Shander (VGTTN).

1281 DR: Under the influence of Crenshinibon, the demon Belhifet, aka Poquelin, attempts to raise a demonic army to conquer Icewind Dale, but is thwarted by an adventure party (ID I).

~1310 DR: Cambion twins set up a base of operations at the Severed Hand fortress in the Spine of the World mountains, and are injured by a diplomatic party from Bryn Shander, which begins a goblinoid war against Ten-Towns (ID II).

Catti-brie appears to have been born in late summer, 1334 DR, in Mirabar, where her mother died in childbirth. In grief, her father took the baby girl and eventually relocated to Termalaine (~1335 DR).

Three years later, in 1338 DR, a goblin raid took her father's life, and Cat was adopted by King Bruenor of the dwarves (HOH, Soj.).

Wulfgar the barbarian appears to have been born in the summer of 1337 DR. (This would allow him to be 18 years old in the spring of 1356 DR, for SOSi; and it also allows him to turn 18 in the summer of 1355 DR, which is coincidentally when Bruenor gave him the warhammer Aegis-fang {TCSh}--a birthday present, perhaps?)

Drizzt arrived in Icewind Dale in late 1345 DR, and promptly meets Catti-brie. Cassius was already Principal Spokesman of Ten-Towns (Soj.).

Early 1346 DR: Drizzt meets King Bruenor after a polar worm fight, and then they become friends over an incident involving the bounty hunter Roddy McGristle (Soj.).

Regis found his way to Lonelywood in early 1349 DR (TCSh says that in Eleint of 1350 DR, Regis had been living there for a year and a half; and Drizzt had come to care care for Ten-Towns in the last five years).

At some point after Regis became a scrimshander and the spokesman for Lonelywood, the two met on one of Regis's trips to the principal city of Bryn Shander (TCSh).

Beornegar, father of Wulfgar, stumbles upon the entrance to the white dragon Icingdeath's lair in the Reghed Glacier, and spends years conducting research, but dies in a battle against other barbarians before he can attempt to slay the dragon and acquire the treasure. But a young Wulfgar is privvy to some of that research, and will later put it to good use (TCSh).

Summer, 1350 DR: a wizard caravan from Luskan leaves behind the carcass of one Morkai the Red, Overwizard of the North Spire of the Hosttower; as well as the still-living body of his apprentice Akar Kessell (TCSh).

Autumn, 1350 DR: In the Battle of Ten-Towns, a barbarian raid fails against a united force of townsmen (TCSh).

Autumn, 1350 to autumn, 1355 DR: The barbarian lad Wulfgar, son of Beornegar, is placed into indentured servitude to King Bruenor for five years, as punishment for his role in the Battle of Ten-Towns (TCSh).

Summer, 1355 DR: King Bruenor crafts and gifts the magical warhammer Aegis-fang to his charge Wulfgar (perhaps as an 18th birthday present?), and releases the barbarian early for tutoring with Drizzt (TCSh).

Autumn, 1355 DR: In the Battle of Icewind Dale, a monstrous army led by the now-wizard Kessell and the evil artifact Crenshinibon fares much better, but also eventually fails (TCSh).

Bruenor would eventually leave the Dale on a quest to refind Mithral Hall in 1356 DR (TCSh, SOSi). Bruenor ruled over Mithral Hall from 1356 DR until around 1359 DR, at which time he abdicated the throne to a returned King Gandalug Battlehammer, founder of the Hall (see Siege of Darkness; PTD). A Grimfeld Silverstrike served as regent of the Clan Battlehammer dwarves in Icewind Dale throughout this time (TSF).

Spring, 1357 DR: Many barbarians from Icewind Dale, led by Berkthgar the Bold, travel south to assist in retaking Mithral Hall from the duergar followers of Shimmergloom the shadow dragon, and then stay on to serve as Mithral Hall's brokers to merchants from other nations (THG). Revjak the Red remains King of the Tribe of the Elk back in the Dale (PTD).

But after the disappearance of Wulfgar in 1358 DR, Berkthgar wants Aegis-fang for himself, and when King Bruenor refuses to give it to him, the barbarians leave Settlestone after only a "short couple of years" and return to the Dale (PTD).

Around 1364 DR, now-Prince Bruenor leads a contingent back to Icewind Dale (PTD), where he supervises until hearing of King Gandalug's death in early 1371 DR (see SOSw & The Thousand Orcs).

Spring, 1365: Traumatized from his years of torture at the hands of Errtu, a returned Wulfgar cannot cope with life amongst his old friends and runs away to cower in the bottle (TSB).

Celerum the Black, another Luskan mage, begins travels to the north to the Dale in search of Damien's tower. He initially uses a merchant guide, Boswell C. Peddywinkle, but eventually kills the guide and assumes his identity. His last such voyage north takes place in 1369 DR (TAT). (Several other adventure hooks appear in this book.)

1370 DR: A highwayman band is discovered south of Bremen, which turns out to be connected to the pirate organization of Sheila Kree of Golden Cove. Cassius is no longer Principal Spokesman of Bryn Shander, but rather Elderman of all Ten-Towns (SOSw).

Winter, early 1371 DR: A renewed Wulfgar is reunited with the Companions of the Hall, and it is revealed that he now has a wife and adopted daughter of his own (SOSw).

In spring, 1371 DR, once-again-King Bruenor drove a massive caravan out of the Dale, back towards Mithral Hall (TTO), where he held the throne until his supposed death in 1409 DR (Gaunt.). In his stead, a Stokely Silverstream held down the fort as regent (Gaunt.).

Early to mid-1390s DR: In the waning years of the initial onslaught of the Spellplague, the magical forest of Iruladoon is revealed to a group of fishermen on Lac Dinneshere. It contains a familiar-looking woman and halfling, and does not welcome the fishers to stay long ("Iruladoon").

For years afterwards, people tried to find the forest again, to no avail (Gaunt.).

~ Autumn, 1437 DR: Having passed his 100th year, Wulfgar dies on the tundra plain of Icewind Dale . . . but reawakes in a springtime forest ("TLHG")?!!

1450 DR: Drizzt meets with the half-elven ranger Roundabout, who shared with him the 1385 story of the magical forest (Gaunt.).

1451 DR: Drizzt, Bruenor, and Thibbledorf Pwent visit Lathan Obridock in Icewind Dale for more information about the woman and halfling sighted in Iruladoon years before. Due to his aging bad knees, Pwent mournfully retires there in the Dale (Gaunt.).

Late 1462 DR:
-The Summons: Clan Battlehammer dwarves in Icewind Dale hear the haunting beckons of Delzoun ghosts warning of an impending catastrophe in the legendary environs of Gauntlgrym, and promptly answer the call to arms (Gaunt.; also see the Neverwinter Campaign Setting);

-Bruenor dies in Gauntlgrym, but awakes in the magical forest, alongside Catti-brie, Regis, and Wulfgar--along the banks of Lac Dinneshere (Gaunt.)?!!

???: Unread events of The Last Threshold, The Companions, and Legacy of the Crystal Shard shed further light on recent happenings in Icewind Dale.

(Apparently, the old DOS-based PC game Menzoberranzan has scenes which also take place in Icewind Dale, but I do not know precisely where or when it is set, or if any of it is canon. Drizzt's life has been pretty well spelled out for us in RAS's stories, and I don't recall anything resembling this game's plotline.)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 17 Nov 2013 23:38:21
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  15:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have all the Novels and I am sure I have all of the Sourcebooks, I just don't KNOW which ones has the good stuff about this region. thanks Could someone narrow it down to books that have actual adventures in this region in them?

edit: ooooh The Accursed Tower looks like the "perfect" module to start a long campaign out with. Thank You. Trying to find where I can download this module in PDF format, even though its 3rd ed rules I can always revery the rules back to classic.

Also is there one book that details this region in detail more than other books? I want to read about the war that went on there, read about all the 10 towns and its people and the region itself. Is there a single book that gives this info or will I be trying to piece it all together from various source books?

Edited by - Damaja on 17 Nov 2013 21:58:40
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  23:46:10  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide (already mentioned), The North boxed set (2e, very good source), Waterdeep and the North (1e), The Savage Frontier (1e), anything dealing with Waterdeep (numerous sources). Surrounding areas you may want to look into include Anauroch, the Moonshaes, and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, maybe even the Great Glacier if you think you group may venture that far.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  23:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well starting out I need to basically know the Icewind Dale region, it will be quite some time before they finish The Accursed Tower module, by then I should be educated enough to venture out beyond this region.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:05:25  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Damaja

I have all the Novels and I am sure I have all of the Sourcebooks, I just don't KNOW which ones has the good stuff about this region. thanks Could someone narrow it down to books that have actual adventures in this region in them?

See above for a comprehensive list of how each publication ties in to the region of Icewind Dale.

The only two formal adventure module-type books concerning ID that I know of are The Accursed Tower and Legacy of the Crystal Shard.

But you should be able to come up with some additional adventure hooks of your own, using the above info as a starting point.

quote:
edit: ooooh The Accursed Tower looks like the "perfect" module to start a long campaign out with. Thank You. Trying to find where I can download this module in PDF format, even though its 3rd ed rules I can always revery the rules back to classic.

<Here> ya go.

YVW!

TAT even includes a section entitled "Continuing the Adventure: Adventure Seeds".

Based on internet blurbs from people with access to early promotional material, the new LOTCS appears to start out in a very similar manner to that of TAT, and this new module has the benefit of being designed to work with multiple different eras' rulesets.

quote:
Also is there one book that details this region in detail more than other books? I want to read about the war that went on there, read about all the 10 towns and its people and the region itself. Is there a single book that gives this info or will I be trying to piece it all together from various source books?

Again, see the above write-up. The information is all over the place, and comes from many different works.

But I would say that the greatest amount of info definitely comes from The Crystal Shard, #1; and then probably from Volo's Guide to the North, #2. Fondstad's FR Atlas and Athans's A Reader's Guide both provide wonderful maps of key areas within the region. Volo's and ARG even list specific taverns and inns where your adventurers might spend the night before heading back out into the wilderness.

Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Legacy of the Crystal Shard is the one I need in pdf format if anyone knows a link. Also something I was thinking about, if the ground in this region stays frozen pretty much year round, how are crops grown? Does this region 100% import there grown foods?

Edited by - Damaja on 18 Nov 2013 00:13:09
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:29:05  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Legacy of the Crystal Shard is the one I need in pdf format if anyone knows a link.

It's a brand-new book, and appears to have only been released in <hardcover>, at this point.

But at least some <excerpts> and <monster stats> are available for DL at WOTC.

quote:
Also something I was thinking about, if the ground in this region stays frozen pretty much year round, how are crops grown? Does this region 100% import there grown foods?

I don't recall the books ever going into much detail on this, but I do remember reading that grasses and shrubs definitely do grow in the Dale.

<Here's> a RL wiki on tundras that sheds more life on tundra vegetation. Remember: Life Finds a Way!

Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahhh no wonder I cannot find it anywhere. ok I can wait and work with what I have so far. I can honestly say I am a tad excited about returning home to the Realms. I always did like the Icewind Dale region and yea I think there will be plenty of stuff in this area to keep me and my group busy for a long long time.

ok so it has been years since I did any reading on this campaign world and this new thing that has jumped the world 100 years into the future is alien to me. Question for you guys, Should I bother with this new timeline stuff or stay in the past? The reason I ask is everything they print new is gonna be in the new age, so I will have no new material to use if I stay in the old timeline. Curious about what you guys think. Should I stay caught up with the timeline or stay back in the old years?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:41:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Legacy of the Crystal Shard a 4e work or a DnD Next?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure but I would use the advebnture and just convert it back to 1st edition, 1.5 rules.

Anyways heading to bed, but would appreciate any suggestions on my question about old/new timeline starting point for my launch. thanks for everything so far guys. its good to be back home.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  01:39:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok so it has been years since I did any reading on this campaign world and this new thing that has jumped the world 100 years into the future is alien to me. Question for you guys, Should I bother with this new timeline stuff or stay in the past? The reason I ask is everything they print new is gonna be in the new age, so I will have no new material to use if I stay in the old timeline. Curious about what you guys think. Should I stay caught up with the timeline or stay back in the old years?

There is a LOT of lore to support adventures between 1200 and 1371 DR. That's probably your best bet.

Once King Bruenor took his massive caravan away from ID and returned back to Mithral Hall in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy", we really heard very little from ID anymore. Wulfgar left the Companions (again!) in The Orc King (1372 DR), and Bruenor & Co. visited the Dale again in Gauntlgrym (1451 DR), but for the most part, news from ID over the last century in Realms-time has been very scarce.

We can assume that LOTCS is going to help fill in a lot of that backstory, but that is a lot of missing info.

Of course, if you're the creative type, then maybe you would WANT to take advantage of that dearth of intel and deliberately set your campaign during the last century--after all, until LOTCS actually comes out and makes into a lot of people's hands, who's gonna prove you wrong?

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  01:41:06  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

It's a Sundering-era adventure, using multiple different game edition rulesets. I guess that makes it DnD Next, right?

Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  13:29:21  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

The contents of the product (adventure and campaign guide) are edition-neutral. You can get the "crunch" for free on the Wizards site: either 3.5, 4e, or Next. In terms of timing, it takes place in 1485DR, during The Sundering.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  18:49:38  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the best resources you'll find will be The North (box set) and Volo's Guide to the North. Of course, if you run Legacy of the Crystal Shard, it'll be 100 years out of date, but at least based off the recent Drizzt novels, the attitudes up in Icewind Dale doesn't seem to have changed, just the people running it.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  21:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow! Bunch of replies, many many thanks everyone. ok I will list my newest questions from the last replies.

1. The Sundering seems like a lot of fun. There is basically only a single module that takes place back in the original timeline, so many a campaign set a few years before The Sundering might be good since there is going to be a TON of material released concerning this new timeline. Thoughts?

2. Legacy of the Crystal Shard just released correct? I will look for a place to buy it online in PDF format to add to my collection. I also need to find out what happened before The Sundering, The Spell Plague? Is that it?

3.BEAST - Yea but I really need to get my hands on this module ASAP to see whats going on, it may help me decide what timeline to start up in.

4. I read there were a couple Dragons in this region. Can someone link me to information on these two Dragons? I wanna see what there story is.

5. When the Dwarves left Kelvin's Cairn and relocated to Mithril Hall ... what ever happened to Kelvin's Cairn? Was it left abandoned? Did some stay behind? Is it now monster infested for good Dungeon Exploring?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  22:03:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icingdeath is DEAD.( may have intel in the readers guide to drizzt.

the other one has a article, its 3.x, but search for dragons of the north.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20011121a but I think this is one of them

not too sure on this one
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20011121a

spellplague, there is no info on this period of time on icewind dale, or at least to my knowledge.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  23:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I will have to read about the Spell Plague and just adjust the region to how it should be affected by the Plague. As for the Dragons ... ahh hell, thats minor actually because I can always had a Dragon or two of my own in this region.

I wonder whats going on with this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-OLA3Oh0GE

Edited by - Damaja on 18 Nov 2013 23:28:32
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  03:28:39  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that would be Legacy of the crystal shard

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  08:39:44  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I think the best resources you'll find will be The North (box set) and Volo's Guide to the North. Of course, if you run Legacy of the Crystal Shard, it'll be 100 years out of date, but at least based off the recent Drizzt novels, the attitudes up in Icewind Dale doesn't seem to have changed, just the people running it.

I haven't read The Last Threshold yet, but my understanding is that Drizzt was thought of as a hero throughout most of the 1400s, but another Errtu ordeal led to the Ten-Townsmen turning against Drizzt, yet again.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  08:44:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

4. I read there were a couple Dragons in this region. Can someone link me to information on these two Dragons? I wanna see what there story is.

I think Volo's said that there were rumors of more white dragons in the Reghed Glacier.

quote:
5. When the Dwarves left Kelvin's Cairn and relocated to Mithril Hall ... what ever happened to Kelvin's Cairn? Was it left abandoned? Did some stay behind? Is it now monster infested for good Dungeon Exploring?

See the timeline above. King Bruenor left regents behind both times that he left Icewind Dale, in 1356 and 1371 DR.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  13:32:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah HE might have, but Volo says lots of things too

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  16:58:52  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I haven't read The Last Threshold yet, but my understanding is that Drizzt was thought of as a hero throughout most of the 1400s, but another Errtu ordeal led to the Ten-Townsmen turning against Drizzt, yet again.

Indeed but (small spoiler) Drizzt is heading back to Mithral Hall. People's opinion really won't matter since he's not around, thus shouldn't really be a topic of discussion.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  21:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will read that. thank you.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  02:32:47  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best of luck to you James in your campaign.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  02:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you Froggy :D
Go to Top of Page

Damaja
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  04:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Damaja's Homepage Send Damaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What year does Drizzt actually leave Icewind Dale? I got to thinking .... maybe Drizzt needs to be gone so the region is not storyline driven by Drizzt. I want my players to be able to make a name for themselves there without the name Drizzt looming over everything they do.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  04:39:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What year does Drizzt actually leave Icewind Dale? I got to thinking .... maybe Drizzt needs to be gone so the region is not storyline driven by Drizzt. I want my players to be able to make a name for themselves there without the name Drizzt looming over everything they do.

Drizzt arrived in ID in 1345 DR (Sojourn), and left for the first time in 1356 DR (The Crystal Shard & Streams of Silver).

He remained gone for approximately 8 years.

He then returned in 1364 DR (Passage to Dawn), and left again in 1371 DR (The Thousand Orcs).

Drizzt appears to have been absent from the Dale for about 79 years.

His next recorded return to the Dale was not until 1450 DR (Gauntlgrym).

I do not know about the most recent books.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  08:18:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10 years before the sundering is when he returns to Icewind Dale

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000