Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [Red Hand of Doom] Appropriate Prestige Classes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antariuk
Acolyte

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  17:35:09  Show Profile Send Antariuk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I plan to run RHoD in spring 2014, using Pathinder and the 3rd edition FRCS. Now, I had very good experiences with the module "Expedition to the Demonweb Pits", which included two Prestige Classes appropriate to the adventure. Since I need to adapt RHoD for Pathfinder anyway, I'd like to include 2-3 Prestige Classes for my players, something that feels like FR (a few of my players know the setting and would appreciate this).

Since my level of FR lore is pretty basic and the number of Prestige Classes is quite staggering, I'm struggling a bit with the selection. In case you don't know what RHoD is about, two cornerstones:

- Wilderness exploration. The adventure takes place in a remote valley, and even though a good part of the action takes place between small towns and on country roads, this isn't really the module for city-focused characters.

- Goblinoids and dragons. The players have to stop the advancing hordes of goblins, and will meet a fair share of dragons in the process. There is Tiamat thing going on in the background, which will reveal itself in the very end.

So I am hinking Harper Agent (gets along in the wilderness, easy to implement in the module with a few NPC agents), Incantatrix (somewhat famous PrC, and a theme that you don't really see in Pathfinder materials), and Morning Lord of Lathander (there is a sufficient amount of undead throughout the adventure). Problem is, all of these are spellcasting classes, and I don't know any fitting options for the melee guys.

Your guys have any tips or ideas?

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." — Steven Brust

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  20:35:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the good thing is that melee oriented classes don't necessarily need to fit a particular campaign setting. For example, if one of your players is dual-wielding weapons, I'd show them the Tempest PrC (Complete Adventurer) or mayber the Dervish (Complete Warrior) if they're fond of Scimitars.

For a more FR feeling, it's harder to narrow down. Might I ask what part of the Forgotten Realms your putting the adventure in? That might help put a stronger focus on what PrC would work. For example if it's near Silverymoon then PrCs from the Silver Marches supplement might be appropriate. It could also hinge on what sort of deities the PrCs are utilizing. A Paladin who serves the Triad (Torm, Tyr, Ilmater) might want to look at the Triadic Knight PrC (Champions of Valor) or if they're a Ranger or Fighter who specializes in archery, Peerless Archer PrC (Silver Marches) fits accordingly.

It would be easier to pin ideas down if your players knew what they were playing. But you could always just allow most PrCs instead of having a list of available ones.
Go to Top of Page

Antariuk
Acolyte

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  21:11:43  Show Profile Send Antariuk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't made a decision yet on where exactly in the Realms my RHoD will take place, but I am inclined to go with the "original" location - south of The Shaar, between the Misty Vale (west) and Channathwood (east). The map from RHoD appears to be a cut-out from this area, with different names for cities and landmarks to make it not setting-specific. If that prevents certain PrC's from being a viable choice, I'd be glad for any advise on that matter.

I agree that knowing what kind of party I am playing with would help, but I thought maybe a couple of abviously fitting choices would reveal themselves. I am very lenient when it comes to what sources and supplements are allowed in-game, but recent experiences with my current Pathfinder game have tought me to be a bit more careful. Also, I'd like to integrate these PrC's somehow in the adventure, like creating a small local hub of Harper agents the players would interact with at some point, so the PrC would have a reason to be in the game. Giving my playes toys to play with is always fun to watch, but when there's a chance to combine it with the actual story, I'll go that route every day.

I will try to read up on your suggestions, thanks!

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." — Steven Brust

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000