Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 12 arrows in 6 seconds?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  08:13:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just saw this video of a guy shooting 12 arrows in 6 seconds.

In terms of description and flavor during play, does holding a bunch of arrows in one's hand work for you?

For 3.5E in terms of mechanics I would think this might work as a feat, where you take a penalty in exchange for each extra arrow you want to fire, up to three times your number of attacks per round.

I'm not sure how to handle "loading" one's hand up with arrows.

Maybe make it a full round action to load your hand and a full round action to fire all those arrows.

Regardless, interesting video.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  08:34:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well in theory with the quickdraw feat you could draw as many arrows as you have in your quiver.

The only limit would be on your BAB and number of attacks.

I did away with BAB and the multiple attacks mechanic and implemented just what you suggested in your post. Every attack after the 1st incurs a -2 penalty for all attacks made that round. So if you are good enough with a bow then you could conceivable make 12 attacks in a round (you would need an awesome Dex score, a very magic bow and some serious feat investment) but each dice roll would have a +0 modifier (on it) and so you are unlikely to hit anything that is armoured (although i also nerfed AC bonus as well using a rule from unearthed arcana).

For native 3.5 i would go with a feat like multi shot where you make a special standard action to hold the arrows and fire them (that way you cant chain it with any other feats that improve the basic attack action) and specify the penalty to each attack you make in the feat.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  08:40:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a feeling there were already feats out there which could be used for simulating the movements shown in that video (Precise Shot? Manyshot?), I just couldn't remember them off the top of my head.

That's one thing I've always liked about Third Edition D&D: going from 'I can see it/imagine it' to 'expressing it in terms of game mechanics'.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 Nov 2013 08:42:56
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  09:43:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. He's good.
And seems to use Mongol draw (see 3:16), it's known to be faster than European and good for snap-shots.
I don't see an archer's ring on that hand, however. He tugs the string with a naked thumb. What was the pull of this bow, again?..

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  15:15:50  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounded like that narrator had a computer generated voice.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2013 :  23:51:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comments on the OP's thread raise a valid point: a lot can happen in an abstracted 6-second combat round. Melee fighters can swing many times, martial artists and boxers can launch flurries of attacks, but (for D&D game purposes) only one or a few of these many strikes will actually land a meaningful blow. And still, missile attacks are something of a 1-for-1 deal, ammunition is counted and each shot counts.

I've seen footage many times, all over Youtube and on popular shows like Mythbusters and Deadliest Warrior, where modern archers demonstrate rapid archery while stationary, on the run, and even on horseback (Mongolian style). Scoring about one hit per second isn't that unreasonable, but I'll admit that things usually seem a little staged: targets are basically at what D&D would call "Point Blank" range, they're often small yet move slow enough to essentially be immobile, and I have my suspicions about the real pull/draw or killing power of what look (to me) like soft shots from weak bows. Given these factors, I'm cynically inclined to think that (like so many other incredible-looking videos) these actions are filmed repetitively many, many times, until finally an impressively flukey perfect sequence is captured.

Of course D&D is a game, not a simulation.

And of course D&D is fantasy, stocked with fantastic characters who routinely accomplish fantastic deeds. Ever see the elven archer Crow from Hawk the Slayer?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  04:06:36  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it takes them a lot of time to hit multiple moving targets in 1 second - of course ti does. :P That said - being able to draw and fire 10 arrows that fast is impressive at least (the average olympic archer shoots 1 arrow in the same time frame). I don't think this even would be considered a feat. This would be (at least in old terms) weapon specialization / weapon mastery. I think the number of shots a grand master archer could shoot was 7 without penalty.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  10:51:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The comments on the OP's thread raise a valid point: a lot can happen in an abstracted 6-second combat round. Melee fighters can swing many times, martial artists and boxers can launch flurries of attacks, but (for D&D game purposes) only one or a few of these many strikes will actually land a meaningful blow. And still, missile attacks are something of a 1-for-1 deal, ammunition is counted and each shot counts.
That, too.
quote:
I've seen footage many times, all over Youtube and on popular shows like Mythbusters and Deadliest Warrior, where modern archers demonstrate rapid archery while stationary, on the run, and even on horseback (Mongolian style).
atarn.org has some footage with a "real" bow. Including horseback shots. It also includes some real stats, such as range or how the target used for high-powered/long-range archery really looks.
quote:
Scoring about one hit per second isn't that unreasonable, but I'll admit that things usually seem a little staged: targets are basically at what D&D would call "Point Blank" range, they're often small yet move slow enough to essentially be immobile, and I have my suspicions about the real pull/draw or killing power of what look (to me) like soft shots from weak bows.
He shot using Mongolian draw, fast, without a ring or anything, and didn't have the thumb flayed with the string for his effort. Only "suspicions"?
More practically... if he did this "for realsies" from a high (pre-cannon era) castle wall or a cliff using metal-tipped arrows, or applied poison (like folk with weak bows used to do), anything downrange short of a hippo or big bear would be dead. This would not be "a generic bow attack" in D&D sense, however.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  19:22:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
European hunting bows were most commonly used by peasant archers...they didn't have much of a pull at all...but with the proper head on them (not the same sort used in hunting) they could still wound an enemy. You all have to realize that you magnify this shooting technique by hundreds of archers letting loose volleys of arrows that literally darken the sky. Dipped in feces or any number of nasty concoctions, these arrows weren't always intended to immediately kill. Hails of arrows though would still find necks, faces, hands, feet and etc that takes a soldier out of combat and then causes illness later.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000