Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 time & places
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  17:16:11  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know when the module: Pool of Radiance-Attack on Myth Drannor takes place? (Year) Also, where can I find surrounding towns/ villages? Module doesn't detail any. Any & all info would be great. Thanks all!

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  17:43:39  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember that it was set a few years after 1372 FR but then Spellplague came along and atleast in my mind put that into question. I know that's not a lot of help, heck I could be completely wrong, it's been a long time since I look at either of those adventures.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  19:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before Midwinter, 1372 DR; Iyachtu Xvim is still listed in the book as an active deity. Other than that, no date is given.

As for nearest towns and villages, there isn't much short of Mistledale(Ashabenford), Hillsfar and Shadowdale itself. During the period its in ruins, the entire area surrounding Myth Drannor is an effective no-go area, so there simply aren't any intact surrounding towns and villages. Plenty of ruined ones, though.
Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  20:16:21  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! It helped. Now I can look up events that happened around that time.
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I seem to remember that it was set a few years after 1372 FR but then Spellplague came along and atleast in my mind put that into question. I know that's not a lot of help, heck I could be completely wrong, it's been a long time since I look at either of those adventures.

Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  20:19:21  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are the only cities I looked at too. Looks like I'll have to make up a village around the area. Thanks for your reply.
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

Before Midwinter, 1372 DR; Iyachtu Xvim is still listed in the book as an active deity. Other than that, no date is given.

As for nearest towns and villages, there isn't much short of Mistledale(Ashabenford), Hillsfar and Shadowdale itself. During the period its in ruins, the entire area surrounding Myth Drannor is an effective no-go area, so there simply aren't any intact surrounding towns and villages. Plenty of ruined ones, though.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  21:27:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm looking at source book for the game, 1023 is last listed date, the history goes on to say The last 300 years was a fall of Phlan.

Oh there is this "2 years ago, in the Year of the Worm." The flight of Dragons.

So it appears to make the computer game start 1358 DR. Most could complete that game in less then a year.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  23:34:05  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Hmm looking at source book for the game, 1023 is last listed date, the history goes on to say The last 300 years was a fall of Phlan.

So it appears to make the computer game start 1358 DR. Most could complete that game in less then a year.

I guess you are confusing "Pool of Radiance" and "Pool of Radiance - Attack on Myth Drannor".
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  03:38:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I guess you are confusing "Pool of Radiance" and "Pool of Radiance - Attack on Myth Drannor".

Yup, it rather appears to be Fall 1366DR

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  03:59:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_novels_in_chronological_order

Lists it as 1369 DR. *shrugs*

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  13:43:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That is correct. I have the said novel by Carrie Bebris. It says on page 55: "The Year of the Gauntlet. 1369."

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  14:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That seems reasonable. The novel says it's 1369 and it cannot take place any later than 1372 because Iyachtu is described as being a still-extant deity. There isn't too much change in Myth Drannor/Cormanthor's circumstances before that for quite some time, so you can place the module any time in that period you want.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  15:15:41  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like my memory wasn't so fuzzy after all, glad I could help. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  15:26:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was an interesting adventure trying to track down the dates, with the side of me missing the "- Attack on Myth Drannor" part of title.

I discovered that the "Pool of Radiance" canonically occurred 1340 DR, despite the intro wrote by Jell Grubb. Unless Year of the Worm got redated. *shrugs*

Edited by - Kentinal on 07 Nov 2013 15:28:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000