Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nostalgia for Unearthed Arcana (AD&D)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2013 :  19:05:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd love to see something similar adapted for 5E

Not exactly the same from what I can see, but in D&D Next wizards should have unlimited at-will use of cantrips beginning at level 1. I think they start off knowing 4 cantrips, and iirc they get 2 new spells each level and they can select cantrips for these if they want to. Cantrips will include some damaging spells, like ray of frost, and the damage will scale with level. Which will be the wizards' main means of doing damage since their overall spells-per-day drops dramatically.

While I'm not upset to see this, I'd love to see an alternative rule that gives the mage more melee/ranged weapon orientation, perhaps for individuals who are less magically adapted. Maybe they gain the weapon proficiency in return for a slower caster level increase for cantrips. I think you could have both in your campaign, and it could make it interesting if say most of the militia wizards of Impiltur had to rely on weapons, but say the wizards of Halruaa didn't. There's arguments to be made for both sides (i.e. the purely magical wizard can find themselves useless against a being that absorbs magic, etc...).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  02:16:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always of the school of thought that cantrips make the fantasy world feel more magical, which is good. A 1st or 2nd level wizard has theoretically studied magic for years so should not be limited to one or two spells each day. I treated cantrips as 0-level spells, castible as often as desired. They must still be studied and researched one by one though. Just because you know how to make Old Man Harpell sneeze doesn't mean you know how to make him cough or blush after all... (Making him blush might require a more powerful spell after all :) )
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000