Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Entropy - which god(s) did it swallow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  14:33:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering, Dungeon #178 finally reveals something akin to a believable story for Entropy. It states that he's a primordial, and that Ao had imprisoned him as a warning to the gods in the form of the sphere of annihilation. However, we don't know why he was given the nickname "god-swallower". I'd always imagined it had something to do with the Orcgate Wars and the gods that were killed by the orcs given the proximity, but now I wonder if there was another explanation. Mind you, I still favor the Orcgate Wars and possibly a mortal managing to use the sphere to eliminate one of the old Untheric gods (picturing not so much as them controlling the sphere as somehow transporting the god to the sphere with maybe a portal.... after all Imaskari were good with portals, and I suspect the Theurgist Adepts may have been helping the Orcs a little bit). Anyway, just wondering if there's any other canon information. I know there was something linking Tiamat utilizing Entropy as a conduit of sorts for a bit prior to the spellplague.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  15:08:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Shar was linked to it...in fact I seem to recall something written that stated the sphere IS Shar (or a type of avatar of her).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  15:19:43  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entropy was used by the Imaskari in the war against Mulhorand and their gods.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  15:30:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Entropy was used by the Imaskari in the war against Mulhorand and their gods.

Interesting, in what resource was this found? I'm just doing data gathering and couldn't find this kind of reference. I didn't see anything in GHotR, old empires, that dungeon article.

BTW, I do find it of interest that dungeon #178 has "the maw of the godswallower" as a spellplagued area slowly destroying south central Chessenta. Not sure what to make of that yet, but it screams potential.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  16:01:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always found the Karanok’s worship of the sphere as Entropy fascinating. It that it has never truly been a divine and/or wondrous thing. Their fanaticism based on myths and legends ultimately lined up with Tiamat’s goals and she started granting spells in Entropy’s name early in the 1370's.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  17:43:53  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
blackball from Mystara is similar (from the Immortals rules), I think it serves Ao same way blackballs serve the Old Ones
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  19:12:05  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, i must have mixed it up with other lore and our recent discussion of Myrkul and the Orcgate Wars involving Imaskar somehow got added to it. I withdraw that statement.

As for a bit more information on Entropy and Tiamat, i suggest reading the entry on House Karanok in Lords of Darkness like Sage said before me.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  23:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read this thread and all I can think of is the white spheres from the iconic 60's show The Prisoner lol.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  00:24:45  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize that Tiamat has been tied to Entropy...but I've always found it rather strange, especially since it screams Shar in every way...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  00:54:21  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm digging for info but I am certain that Shar was (originally) linked to Entropy and the Karanoks...which means it was changed to Tiamat at a later time. I think it was in an issue of Dragon magazine.

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  01:04:19  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a new wrinkle...according to the old FR-Listserv http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0204c&L=realms-l&P=7160" target="_blank"> http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0204c&L=realms-l&P=7160 , Entropy was yet another creation of Talos in his efforts to undermine Mystra...so this begs the question, and since Thomas M. Costa wrote the write up, how does this impact cannon?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  01:09:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe that was the original link (Talos instead of Shar). Seems to be another case of folks not doing their homework at Wizbro. I'm ignorant of 4e Realms for the most part...was Talos supposed to be another 'mask' for Tiamat (or vice versa)?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  02:11:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Here is a new wrinkle...according to the old FR-Listserv http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0204c&L=realms-l&P=7160" target="_blank"> http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0204c&L=realms-l&P=7160 , Entropy was yet another creation of Talos in his efforts to undermine Mystra...so this begs the question, and since Thomas M. Costa wrote the write up, how does this impact cannon?

Nice. I had forgotten about the temple of Entropy in Bezantur. I remember years ago planning on using that for a guild of mage slaying bounty hunters.

This lore can still work with the canon lore if we accept one piece of canon lore that I hate in 4e as false anyway (the idea that Talos and Gruumsh are the same being). As I view it, Gruumsh was taking advantage of Talos' absence after the spellplague and using his name as an alias. Basically, we found out that Kossuth, Grumbar, Akadi, and Istishia were primordials. In my mind, Talos fits the primordial mold as well.. but a primordial who maybe actually takes some notice of his worshippers and has learned something of the workings of "gods" and worship "energy". Perhaps Entropy was a being "born" of the "flesh" of Talos. Thus, the piece that Talos created Entropy and Entropy being a primordial are both true.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  02:25:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But how would you tie that in with Tiamat (unless you simply disregard it)?

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  06:04:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also in a 4e-free zone. I made Entropy an advanced umbral blot from ELH, but that's homebrew and not based on any canon except its description in FR10 as a large sphere of annihilation and the implication that it's intelligent. I hadn't worked on an origin for it... Shar works, I just didn't use her because I have other plans for her activity in the old empires.

I still favor making Entropy an umbral blot, although umbral blots are constructs and that means someone built them. The next question is who, and the Imaskari are a too easy/convenient/overused answer for me. Making Entropy a primordial is also too easy/convenient.

However, it does make a lot of sense for the Imaskari to make something like the umbral blots if their intent was to destroy the servants of gods. Then the name God-Swallower makes all kinds of sense.

It also makes some sense for the priestesses of Tiamat in Unther to "put out feelers" to explore the benefits of an alliance with Entropy (and any/every other significant power with little or no interest in conquering Unther), prior to the fall of Gilgeam when they were more desperate for allies. An alliance between House Karanok and the followers of Tiamat is very unlikely, but not nearly as unlikely as a connection with Tiamat herself. I see no reason for her to have anything to do with Entropy... and no reason for it to refrain from swallowing her just as quickly as it would any other god or mortal.

Just me, gettin my ramble on.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 26 Sep 2013 06:06:29
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  01:00:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Maybe that was the original link (Talos instead of Shar) <snip>
NOPE...

I recall the connection to Shar as well, so we can't both be crazy. I'll try to find it. It may have been in an online article (back when they were still free, during the 3e era, I am guessing).

EDIT: looking at the 'rollcall' here, seems to me there were a bunch of gods mighty interested in tapping-into Entropy's gig. Wonder how the 'Dark Three' missed that one (could Entropy be one of the missing 'Lost Gods'?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Sep 2013 01:04:25
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  01:07:57  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Entropy was supposed to be an avatar of Shar but I haven't been able to locate the reference. I think it was in an a Dragon article, problem is, I have too many to look through so it's taking me some time. Then again, it could have been in an online article, I just don't know.

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  01:30:31  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall Shar being connected as well...which was why I was irritated by the Tiamat thing that evolved in 3.5e and 4e only muddles things up even more...I'll look through my Dragon and Polyhedron magazines over the weekend...
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  12:57:15  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update - after looking over Magic of Faerun (mentions that they "can call forth scaly reptilian monsters from the sphere to do their bidding"), Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, Spellbound, Old Empires, and the FRCS 1085, while these sources discuss Entropy none of them discuss its origin.

Just finished skimming Maiden of Pain, it also seems to only provide general information.

The first source I've found linking Entropy as an aspect of another deity (Talos) is the REAlMS-L article by Thomas Costa. The next link appears in the Lords of Darkness, with Tiamat is granting powers to the worshipers of Entropy. Then in Dungeon 178, this history of Entropy is re-written making it an "imprisoned" primordial that was freed by the Spellplague.

Still haven't found any thing in my Dragon, Dungeon, or Polyhedron Magazines (though I did find stats for the vampire Karanok in one of the Polyhedron issues)...

Edited by - ksu_bond on 27 Sep 2013 17:51:43
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  14:28:28  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh ... since no one said it before i think it's wrong but ... what if Entropy is just Pandorym's body?

I say this without having read Darkvision (i think this is the novel with Pandorym) so maybe Pandorym's Faerunian body it's revealed in that novel and it's not Entropy, if that is the case, disregard this post.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  16:00:20  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read the article, what i got from it is that it was a primordial that eagerly took part in the Dawn War (hence "God Swallower"), was bound by Ao (so it was inert and stationary) and was freed by the Spellplague and the reunion of the two worlds (and for some imperscrutable reason spared the Karakoks and Lutcheq and moved south-east to start it's anew it's swallowing program).

So i think this means that, for canon lore, it was inert and stationary from the Age before Ages until the Spellplague. No connection to the Imaskari or the Orcgate Wars or with the deities, just a big black ball doing nothing.

I hope i'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  16:18:00  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

I just read the article, what i got from it is that it was a primordial that eagerly took part in the Dawn War (hence "God Swallower"), was bound by Ao (so it was inert and stationary) and was freed by the Spellplague and the reunion of the two worlds (and for some imperscrutable reason spared the Karakoks and Lutcheq and moved south-east to start it's anew it's swallowing program).

So i think this means that, for canon lore, it was inert and stationary from the Age before Ages until the Spellplague. No connection to the Imaskari or the Orcgate Wars or with the deities, just a big black ball doing nothing.

I hope i'm wrong.

No cannon ties no...but the 4e material does provide Entropy with a much older history that would allow for it to be apart of Imaskari plots and the Orcgate Wars.

The fun is in the piecing of it all together.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  17:45:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I hope i'm wrong.

No cannon ties no...but the 4e material does provide Entropy with a much older history that would allow for it to be apart of Imaskari plots and the Orcgate Wars.

The fun is in the piecing of it all together.

Exactly, that's why I was wondering if anywhere it had been stated when and how the "god-swallower" name had been tagged to it. I'm guessing from all these responses that nowhere has such ever been notated. I'd personally like for it to be that the remaining Theurgist Adepts actually acted behind the scenes in the orcgate wars and used it to kill a deity, and thus humanity gave it the name god-swallower. I'm thinking along the lines of what I showed earlier (some kind of portal trap.. deity is dropped into Entropy from a portal constructed above it maybe... maybe Theurgists use some spell to temporarily shunt the endpoint of a portal). Maybe there's still a small portion of the body left. Maybe absorbing this divine entity after Ao froze it actually re-awoke it somewhat.... I'm not even sure which deity works best here, but I'm just seeing a story that sounds like something worthwhile. My leanings are toward Utu, the Untheric god of the sun, as being killed by these Theurgists in this way (and yes, this does show that not 1 but 2 sun gods died in -1071 DR... Re and Utu).

If you've been reading my other thread with Myrkul... I'm somewhat relating this to the Myth of Four Rivers where the Dark Three are trying to capture the sun with aid from "the Sea". I'm kind of wondering if they weren't trying to wipe out a third sun deity in that myth around the same time.

That being said, I also like the idea that its some kind of primordial being, and if Talos is also some primordial being and the disappearance of Talos from the realms has freed Entropy in 4th edition (as a slight twist to what is stated in the dungeon mag and nod to previous lore)... that makes me even happier. I'd be interested to know what deities it slew back then, though I severely doubt that will ever be documented.

Anyway, these are all ideas I'm just throwing out for the express purpose of playing "what if". I was pretty certain when I started the thread that nowhere were there any gods documented, but sometimes people surprise you and come up with canon links you've never seen.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  21:11:58  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright i take the "inert and stationary" back since Entropy appeared in the Karanok mansion around 1346 DR (Lords of Darkness), so at least it could teleport around (or be moved by someone else).

No reaction to the Pandorym hypotesis? Probably because it's unfounded ...

The link with Tiamat (the "Nemesis of the Gods") isn't all that bad for a supposedly god killing weapon (be it of primordial origin even), but Tiamat "noticed" the existence of Entropy and started giving spells through it only in 1370 DR (even splitting it to give the Karanoks portable spheres of annihilation). Another problem this rises is that by 1370 DR Tiamat already killed Gilgeam and Assuran completed her job by killing Ramman so there wasn't any Untheric pantheon left to antagonize or against which unleash a primordial weapon, maybe she wanted to destroy the Mulhorandi and Faerunian pantheon to.

Looking at the GHotR there are a few god-related events in the same years as the more recent Entropy-related happenings:
- 1346 (when Entropy appears in Luthcheq):
1) Bhaal's avatar the Ravager gets banished from the Moonshaes (the year before Kazgaroth tried the take over through the Darkwell);
2) After centuries of silence, an avatar of Tiamat gets summoned in Unther
- 1370 (when Tiamat started granting spells through Entropy):
1) Pandorym partially escapes imprisonment;
2) Velsharoon shifts allegiance from Talos to Mystra/Azuth (maybe exploiting the fact Talos lost a nice chunk of power with Tiamat's take over of Entropy IF Talos freed/was using the sphere first?);

All this means something? Honestly, i don't know, maybe someone else will make the connection.

Concerning "which gods has Entropy swallowed" i think Mr. B. R. James dropped a subtle hint in Dungeon 178 in the People section saying:"House Karanok, it is said, has the divine blood of Nanna-Sin coursing through their veins".

My interpretation: having killed Nanna-Sin during the Orcgate Wars, Entropy retained some link with the deity's blood(line) and in a moment of wakefulness (maybe caused by the apparition of Tiamat's avatar in Unther) teleported to the nearest trace of that same blood(line).

Edited by - Demzer on 27 Sep 2013 21:12:42
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  22:43:07  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the moment it would appear that the history of Entropy is wide open with only a rough idea of when Entropy was imprisoned, and it's presence in Chessenta since the 1360s.

As far as the connection to Talos, that is only a factor if the REALMS-L content is considered canon...in which case a few more bits of history are filled in...

Although, in my campaign...Entropy will be linked to Shar (not Talos/Tiamat)...looking something like this...in eons past during the War of Light & Dark, Selűne tore the divine essence of magic from her body, flinging it desperately at her dark sister in defense of life in the sphere and nearly killing herself of the spiritual injury it caused her. A just-born being of raw magic tore through Shar, bonding to some of her divine magical energy and ripping it free of her, and reforming behind her as the goddess of magic, known now as Mystra, but then as Mystryl. The impact also resulted in the creation of a sentient umbral blot (blackball) formed from portions of Shar's (instead of Talos) essence that were torn away but not absorbed during the birth of Mystryl (in effect making it a primordial as well). The new primordial, now called Entropy, is the embodiment of her mother’s desire for nothingness and from it’s violent birth at the hands of raw arcane magic seeks to annihilate all those who are tainted by the arcane.

At this point I’ll have to do a bit more research…but the story would progress something like this…

Growing tired of the ever escalating conflict between the Gods and Primordials, Ao banished many of the primordials to Abeir. Ao imprisoned the near mindless Entropy, who was consuming entire planets and a few gods and primordials, in the guise of a sphere of annihilation and discarded the inert primordial on Toril with a warning to the gods: Govern the world wisely or face utter oblivion.

The Imaskari used their magic to dominate others and even reached into other worlds to enslave the people there. Emboldened by their successes, the Imaskari wizards grew so arrogant and audacious that they dared to defy the gods. So when they discovered an imprisoned primordial that was seemingly immune to magic and could annihilate anything it touches, the potential uses and irony did not escape them. – I’m thinking that after much experimentation they finally figured out a way to move it at least somewhat, possibly even a power of one of the Imaskarcana – While effective, it was ultimately difficult to wield as a weapon and had an insatiable thirst for all things arcane, having lost a number of promising wizards and powerful artifacts to its ebony depths. So in the end, they used it as a trap that often involved illusions and magical portals.

After the fall of the Imaskari Empire, Entropy sat forgotten in … until …

–1081 The Mulhorandi wizard Thayd and his coconspirators rebel against the empire and are defeated. Thayd is executed.
–1075 The Orcgate Wars begin in the region that is now Thay. Renegade Mulhorandi wizards employ Imaskari portal magic to open planar gates to an orc world. Mulhorand hires Nar, Raumathari, Rashemi, and Sossrim mercenaries to fight the orc invaders.
–1071 The orc god Gruumsh kills the Mulhorandi deity Ra in the first known deicide. The Untheric gods Inanna, Girru, Ki, Marduk, Nanna-Sin, Nergal, and Utu are also slain by orc deities.
–1069 The Orcgate is destroyed, and the invading orcs are defeated in the Priador.

Was somehow involved in the death of Nanna-Sin during the Orcgate Wars.

Sometime around 1346 DR, a particularly large sphere of annihilation appeared in the largest mansion of House Karanok. The sphere materialized in the middle of a torture chamber and completely consumed the wizard who was being tortured. Seeing this as an omen, the members of the house fell to their knees and worshiped the planar anomaly, which they called Entropy. Remodeling their mansion to make its current location a main temple chamber, the Karanoks blindly worshiped their nondeity in the belief that it would help them meet their goals.

In late 1370 DR, Shar (not Tiamat) used her power to alter the sphere, making it a conduit for her energy. She began granting divine spells to the nobles of House Karanok in the guise of Entropy. She has since caused the sphere to create smaller spheres, which can be controlled by members of the house. The Karanoks worship the daughter spheres, and they have been known to conjure forth scaly reptilian monsters (abishai) to enact the will of the Karanoks and Entropy itself.

So now to fill in a few of the gaps and round off a few of the corners...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  03:33:51  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ksu...your rendition of things works much better, IMO, than the official version. It makes far better sense than the Talos/Tiamat connections and makes for a better story too. I will say the official connection between Entropy and Tiamat is logical, given the extended history of both in the region.

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  05:01:02  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To maintain canon, you could still keep the origin story outlined above and just switch the deities involved as appropriate...after doing this exercise I really doubt that the REALMS-L info can be considered canon as it conflicts too much with the other published lore, although I suppose you could have Talos somehow creating Entropy...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  15:04:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alright i take the "inert and stationary" back since Entropy appeared in the Karanok mansion around 1346 DR (Lords of Darkness), so at least it could teleport around (or be moved by someone else).

No reaction to the Pandorym hypotesis? Probably because it's unfounded ...

The link with Tiamat (the "Nemesis of the Gods") isn't all that bad for a supposedly god killing weapon (be it of primordial origin even), but Tiamat "noticed" the existence of Entropy and started giving spells through it only in 1370 DR (even splitting it to give the Karanoks portable spheres of annihilation). Another problem this rises is that by 1370 DR Tiamat already killed Gilgeam and Assuran completed her job by killing Ramman so there wasn't any Untheric pantheon left to antagonize or against which unleash a primordial weapon, maybe she wanted to destroy the Mulhorandi and Faerunian pantheon to.

Looking at the GHotR there are a few god-related events in the same years as the more recent Entropy-related happenings:
- 1346 (when Entropy appears in Luthcheq):
1) Bhaal's avatar the Ravager gets banished from the Moonshaes (the year before Kazgaroth tried the take over through the Darkwell);
2) After centuries of silence, an avatar of Tiamat gets summoned in Unther
- 1370 (when Tiamat started granting spells through Entropy):
1) Pandorym partially escapes imprisonment;
2) Velsharoon shifts allegiance from Talos to Mystra/Azuth (maybe exploiting the fact Talos lost a nice chunk of power with Tiamat's take over of Entropy IF Talos freed/was using the sphere first?);

All this means something? Honestly, i don't know, maybe someone else will make the connection.

Concerning "which gods has Entropy swallowed" i think Mr. B. R. James dropped a subtle hint in Dungeon 178 in the People section saying:"House Karanok, it is said, has the divine blood of Nanna-Sin coursing through their veins".

My interpretation: having killed Nanna-Sin during the Orcgate Wars, Entropy retained some link with the deity's blood(line) and in a moment of wakefulness (maybe caused by the apparition of Tiamat's avatar in Unther) teleported to the nearest trace of that same blood(line).

Nice... good interpretation on the Nanna-Sin piece (noting Nanna-Sin is the male Untheric deity of the moon). I'm looking at the GHotR listing and it says "killed by Orc Deities". So, I'm thinking the Theurgist Adepts worked in combo with a summoned orc avatar. Maybe the orc avatar pushed Nanna-Sin through a portal which they had redirected to a portal they had constructed above the dormant Entropy. Maybe the Orc Avatar forced Nanna-Sin to retreat through it. Maybe even the two fell through and Entropy "swallowed both Nanna-Sin's manifestation AND the avatar of the orc deity.

Hmmmmm, I could be reaching here.... but that last sentence.... could the avatar of the orc deity who was swallowed have been Gruumsh's avatar? I mean losing an avatar of himself wouldn't have killed him, and his followers would have just seen him and Nanna-Sin fall through a portal fighting. So, when the spellplague hit... Entropy became free/sentient again and the god Talos disappeared... and we don't necessarily have any record of Talos prior to -1071 DR that I know of.... we do have Kozah and Bhaelros, but they looked different.... could Entropy and Talos BE the same being... and Entropy was simply able to form a "god" by swallowing say Nanna-Sin and maybe Gruumsh's avatar.... then said god went on to slay and absorb Bhaelros and Kozah.... It would kind of fit with Talos having one eye, behind the eyepatch of which is a bunch of stars (moon god and one-eyed Talos). His other powers could have come from absorbing Bhaelros and Kozah..... and then he was known for sponsoring other beings to become gods and then absorbing/swallowing their power.

I don't know if this second part is a good idea yet, but I figured put it out and see where things go.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  15:48:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the moment it would appear that the history of Entropy is wide open with only a rough idea of when Entropy was imprisoned, and it's presence in Chessenta since the 1360s.

As far as the connection to Talos, that is only a factor if the REALMS-L content is considered canon...in which case a few more bits of history are filled in...

Although, in my campaign...Entropy will be linked to Shar (not Talos/Tiamat)...looking something like this...in eons past during the War of Light & Dark, Selűne tore the divine essence of magic from her body, flinging it desperately at her dark sister in defense of life in the sphere and nearly killing herself of the spiritual injury it caused her. A just-born being of raw magic tore through Shar, bonding to some of her divine magical energy and ripping it free of her, and reforming behind her as the goddess of magic, known now as Mystra, but then as Mystryl. The impact also resulted in the creation of a sentient umbral blot (blackball) formed from portions of Shar's (instead of Talos) essence that were torn away but not absorbed during the birth of Mystryl (in effect making it a primordial as well). The new primordial, now called Entropy, is the embodiment of her mother’s desire for nothingness and from it’s violent birth at the hands of raw arcane magic seeks to annihilate all those who are tainted by the arcane.

At this point I’ll have to do a bit more research…but the story would progress something like this…

Growing tired of the ever escalating conflict between the Gods and Primordials, Ao banished many of the primordials to Abeir. Ao imprisoned the near mindless Entropy, who was consuming entire planets and a few gods and primordials, in the guise of a sphere of annihilation and discarded the inert primordial on Toril with a warning to the gods: Govern the world wisely or face utter oblivion.

The Imaskari used their magic to dominate others and even reached into other worlds to enslave the people there. Emboldened by their successes, the Imaskari wizards grew so arrogant and audacious that they dared to defy the gods. So when they discovered an imprisoned primordial that was seemingly immune to magic and could annihilate anything it touches, the potential uses and irony did not escape them. – I’m thinking that after much experimentation they finally figured out a way to move it at least somewhat, possibly even a power of one of the Imaskarcana – While effective, it was ultimately difficult to wield as a weapon and had an insatiable thirst for all things arcane, having lost a number of promising wizards and powerful artifacts to its ebony depths. So in the end, they used it as a trap that often involved illusions and magical portals.

After the fall of the Imaskari Empire, Entropy sat forgotten in … until …

–1081 The Mulhorandi wizard Thayd and his coconspirators rebel against the empire and are defeated. Thayd is executed.
–1075 The Orcgate Wars begin in the region that is now Thay. Renegade Mulhorandi wizards employ Imaskari portal magic to open planar gates to an orc world. Mulhorand hires Nar, Raumathari, Rashemi, and Sossrim mercenaries to fight the orc invaders.
–1071 The orc god Gruumsh kills the Mulhorandi deity Ra in the first known deicide. The Untheric gods Inanna, Girru, Ki, Marduk, Nanna-Sin, Nergal, and Utu are also slain by orc deities.
–1069 The Orcgate is destroyed, and the invading orcs are defeated in the Priador.

Was somehow involved in the death of Nanna-Sin during the Orcgate Wars.

Sometime around 1346 DR, a particularly large sphere of annihilation appeared in the largest mansion of House Karanok. The sphere materialized in the middle of a torture chamber and completely consumed the wizard who was being tortured. Seeing this as an omen, the members of the house fell to their knees and worshiped the planar anomaly, which they called Entropy. Remodeling their mansion to make its current location a main temple chamber, the Karanoks blindly worshiped their nondeity in the belief that it would help them meet their goals.

In late 1370 DR, Shar (not Tiamat) used her power to alter the sphere, making it a conduit for her energy. She began granting divine spells to the nobles of House Karanok in the guise of Entropy. She has since caused the sphere to create smaller spheres, which can be controlled by members of the house. The Karanoks worship the daughter spheres, and they have been known to conjure forth scaly reptilian monsters (abishai) to enact the will of the Karanoks and Entropy itself.

So now to fill in a few of the gaps and round off a few of the corners...

Hmmmmm, actually, this works well with what I just posited as well (at least the beginning). Entropy is created as a side effect of Mystryl's creation from Shar. Ao entraps it. Orcgate wars, Nanna-Sin's manifestation and Gruumsh's avatar are absorbed by falling through a portal whose end is moved by Theugist Adepts. This infusion of deific energy is "used" by Entropy to form the divine entity which will become Talos. Talos destroys Bhaelros and Kozah and absorbs their divine power. Talos uses ritual magics of the Imaskari to get other mortals to divinely ascend, then uses them and finally absorbs them (such as Malyk, lord of wild and destructive magic, and his attempt to do so with Velsharoon). Spellplague hits... Talos goes away and Entropy is freed.

Then we have the appearance of Tiamat possibly making the connections to the Karanoks.... how does that fit?

Well, in -1071 DR (yes the same year that we're assuming Nanna-Sin dies to Entropy in the Orcgate Wars), according to Dragons of Faerun pg 8, Tiamat sees an opportunity to take out Gilgeam. Marduk/Bahamut intervenes and the two die in conflict. Could it have been during the same battle? Maybe the same portal trick was used twice by the Theurgist Adepts? Maybe all 4 deities fell through at once? Either way, maybe this created a linkage of Tiamat to the being known as Entropy, such that when she returned something awakened in Entropy? This could explain some imagery of Talos as well (as Bhaelros where he has a chained dragon).

This is really getting interesting now.... any flaws? Any better takes?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  15:49:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To maintain canon, you could still keep the origin story outlined above and just switch the deities involved as appropriate...after doing this exercise I really doubt that the REALMS-L info can be considered canon as it conflicts too much with the other published lore, although I suppose you could have Talos somehow creating Entropy...

Or, in my supposition... the other way around... Entropy creating Talos by absorbing deific energy.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  16:32:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, this is starting to even bear more fruit with the idea of Entropy spawned Talos by absorbing Tiamat, an avatar of Gruumsh, the manifestation of Marduk, and Nanna-Sin. I just looked up Marduk in the first edition Deities and Demigods... Marduk, god of the city, winds, thunder, storm, and rain and constantly breathing fire.... given Talos as a god of winds, thunder, storms.... might make a good story.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000