Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Spells and protection spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2013 :  20:25:52  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi... I have a reuccuring discussion with a friend of mine about whether or not spells from the conjuration (creation) sub-school, like melf's acid arrow and orb of fire, will actually affect someone inside globe of invulnerability? And whether or not they will hurt someone inside an anti-magic zone.

Hopefully someone will be able to help!

Thanks

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2013 :  21:04:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those spells are still magical conjurations...thus would be stopped.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2013 :  21:18:33  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though they do not allow for spell resistance?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2013 :  21:19:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stored magic does not work in anti-magic, with possible rare exceptions like Chosen made or artifacts. Exception magical creatures like golems.

As to globe of invulnerability, in 3rd perhaps a heighten spell might work becoming a higher then 4th level spell.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2013 :  21:22:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only time it appears spell resistance comes into play is if antimagic cast at a already summoned creature.

Fron SRD 3.5
quote:
Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away. Time spent winked out counts normally against the duration of the conjuration that is maintaining the creature. If you cast antimagic field in an area occupied by a summoned creature that has spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the creature’s spell resistance to make it wink out. (The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  17:37:23  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about if a wall of stone was created and fell on someone inside a globe of invulnerability? (Please dont take note of the levels involved)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  17:54:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wall is of stone, stone falling into globe clearly could cause damage I would think. However a 3.5 wall of stone should not be able to tip over as
quote:
it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  21:28:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wall of iron, on the other hand, can be used offensively.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  21:55:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A wall of iron, on the other hand, can be used offensively.

I do agree, wall of iron would appear able to crush anything within the globe, if it falls that direction *G*
quote:
If you desire, the wall can be created vertically resting on a flat surface but not attached to the surface, so that it can be tipped over to fall on and crush creatures beneath it. The wall is 50% likely to tip in either direction if left unpushed. Creatures can push the wall in one direction rather than letting it fall randomly. A creature must make a DC 40 Strength check to push the wall over. Creatures with room to flee the falling wall may do so by making successful Reflex saves. Any Large or smaller creature that fails takes 10d6 points of damage. The wall cannot crush Huge and larger creatures.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  23:13:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wall of iron spell is one of my favorite answers to the oft-repeated question of "how do I use magic to hurt this critter that can ignore/resist magic?"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  23:44:00  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... Could any generel law of instant creations and globe of invulnerability be set forth?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  00:03:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never thought about it until now.... but an effective way to permanently entrap an extremely powerful ghost then would be to place it in an anti-magic field that doesn't go away somehow

Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  03:54:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

So... Could any generel law of instant creations and globe of invulnerability be set forth?

I see what you are saying here Nicolai:

Essentially, magic is only used to CONJURE the item, and then the item should be considered as normal correct?

If that is the case, I can agree with you to a degree. I had a similar discussion years ago myself with a friend. The only problem we run into is how are these magical attacks generated in their flight?

My answer was, since things like acid arrows, acid spheres and flaming arrows would all be propelled by magic...so Spell Resistance/Magic Resistance would apply; as would those things designed to thwart spells such as Globes of Invulnerability and Anti-Magic Spheres.

Anything created which then doesn't require magic to support it should be considered then very plain and normal...to me at least.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  11:02:34  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok... So I'm guessing that spells that need magic to move or to be sustained will be blocked by the globe spell. I still have some concern about spells like Evard's Black Tentacels, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Acid Fog and Ring of Blades. They all have a duration and are basically sustained by magic but does not allow for SR... I do really appreciate all your answers but I'm still unsure how to rule with the above mentioned spells!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000