Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are Favoured Souls a type of Chosen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  01:21:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if Favoured Souls count as a lesser type of Chosen akin to the new lesser chosen popping up because of the Sundering. After all Favoured Souls are invested with a portion of thier Gods power kind of like the chosen.

On a related note does anyone remember the name of the Sharessan pregen from neverwinter nights, Mask of the Betrayer, the Half Drow Favoured Soul. It was something thrice blessed. I remember its the only pregen I ever liked enough to seriously play in a video game, because her back story was just so interesting and well thoughtout. Wished she'd appeared in a novel.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1844 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  02:11:45  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what a pregen is (pregenerated PC?) but are you referring to Valsharess?

As for Favored Souls I think you could make the case for them being lesser Chosen, but I would prefer to think of Chosen as those who are heavily infused with divine power and not refer to FS as Chosen on any level (to prevent any confusion). I just called them Favored. That's just me though.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  02:57:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I was wondering if Favoured Souls count as a lesser type of Chosen akin to the new lesser chosen popping up because of the Sundering. After all Favoured Souls are invested with a portion of thier Gods power kind of like the chosen.

My impression of a "favored soul" is that it's a very fervent devotee of the god - similar to a cleric, but with benefits and limitations. It's more that a favored soul tries very, very hard to exactly follow the deity's dogma and intent, and gets a few rewards for their faith.

It's a character class variant of a cleric, rules-wise. By gaining additional spell slots (we're talking 3.5 rules), you give up choices in variety of spells and also skill points per level.

Thematically, a favored soul might believe they are similar to a Chosen, perhaps a "Chosen Lite" of sorts, but the reality is that a true Chosen is far beyond a favored soul in terms of additional benefits and magical gifts without hardly any negatives. A true Chosen also generally does exactly what the deity wants (direct communication, often) whereas a favored soul it's all actions based on faith and belief.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 25 Aug 2013 02:58:11
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  03:03:13  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what liriel's powers were as chosen of lolth

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  19:33:11  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

Well, some of it involved very powerful teleportation magic. Another, interplanar shifting. And also very powerful bolts of dark killing magic. Possibly flight (or levitation), as well.

However, it's difficult to say what might have been Lolth-given and what might have been lingering after-effects of the Windwalker artifact.

It's also fair to say that Liriel knew that she was receiving power from Lolth, but we didn't get the word "Zedriniset" (aka Chosen) until the book after she used that extra power - and finally rejected it along with her priesthood.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 25 Aug 2013 19:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  21:50:36  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

Well, some of it involved very powerful teleportation magic. Another, interplanar shifting. And also very powerful bolts of dark killing magic. Possibly flight (or levitation), as well.

However, it's difficult to say what might have been Lolth-given and what might have been lingering after-effects of the Windwalker artifact.

It's also fair to say that Liriel knew that she was receiving power from Lolth, but we didn't get the word "Zedriniset" (aka Chosen) until the book after she used that extra power - and finally rejected it along with her priesthood.

I'd have to reread that series to be sure (and I don't mind, because it is one of my top 5 favorite FR trilogies). But didn't Liriel basically wipe out the Kraken Society with her powers? I don't remember how many people were involved in that battle on Ruathym, but she laid a major beatdown on a sizable force.

Of course, RA Salvatore's latest novel has some implications for Liriel. If Lolth is still interested in recapturing Drizzt in her web, surely she must want a noble of House Baenre back as well. Surely I'm not the only one BEGGING for another trilogy featuring Liriel?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  22:45:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I think of the Favored Soul (the class from Complete Divine) I think of a Sorcerer... or more specifically, the Pathfinder version of the Sorcerer. The Favored Soul is the offspring (whether direct or through generations) of some divine being that can channel the powers of the heavens without formal training. The same way a Sorcerer casts the same magic as a Wizard but does it differently.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  02:39:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Favored soul follows the path of the cleric but is able to channel divine power with surprising ease. She is able to perform the same tasks as her fellow divine spellcasters but with virtually no study. Favored souls cast their spells naturally, as much through force of personality as through study. Though this gives them extraordinary divine abilities no normal person could ever match, they see their gift as a call to action, and so in some ways may lag behind their more studious colleagues.Favored souls cast divine spells by means of an innate connection rather than through laborious training and prayer, so their divine connection is natural rather than learned. Mortals who perform great services to deities, devoting their lives and work to the cause of their god or goddess, sometimes become the Chosen of that deity.Being born a favored soul has both advantages and disadvantages. Like a cleric, a favored soul has access to her god's divine magic. Unlike a cleric, however, the magic of a favored soul is natural. As such, it is unlikely to be denied by her god. Because favored souls do not need to pray for their spells, deities don't need to The approve or disapprove each and every incantation. This and the many divine powers of a favored soul make members of the class quite powerful. Despite these powers, favored souls are often hindered by a sense of inescapable destiny that surrounds their births. They didn't choose their paths and may not want anything to do with their religion. In this way, the powers of a favored soul can be a burden rather than a blessing"

This this discription of Favoured Souls sounds alot like Chosen and in fact calls them Chosen, although clearly not in the sense of Chosen of Mystra.

It is innate, but not by blood, and not by thier own choice, but by the Gods choice.

Also take into account that the example given during the panel of the new "Chosen" for the Sundering is a little boy who is the chosen of Chantea who doesn't gain great blasty powers or tue type of super powers Elimister or Manshoon has, but has rather minor magic,like causing flowers of appear where he walks. He I believe is easily captured the Shades and put in a prison camp.

Now doesn't that sound closer to a Favoured Soul then capital C Chosen with divine or near divine powers of thier own?

Yes the Mechanics were at least partially derived from the Sorceror, but the fluff give is different.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  02:47:57  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"You have long harbored a divine spark within yourself, a subtle shard of your god's essence. Long has it lain dormant, but as you dispatch your enemies and see your oaths through, the essence awakens and infuses your body with astral brilliance until your mortal shell transmutes into something greater than what it once was. Your deeds are the catalyst for your transformation into a favored soul. Once you set foot on this glorious path, you ever after carry with you the blessings of your god."

This is the 4e definition of a Favoured Soul, which turned into a Avenger PP, but largely kept all the basic 4e flavour, except without the Charisma tie.

You harbour a subtle shard of your God's essence, sounds like the Chosen to me.

Sounds in comparison, the Shard in your average Favoured Soul is the diamond off a basic wedding ring, where as the Shard in Elminister and his fellows is the Hope Diamond.

But a Favoured Soul can make thier Shard grow more powerful though, aka leveling.

Again this is sounds like the Chosen.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  04:28:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think that favored souls are somewhere in the middle: more than a cleric, but less than a Chosen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  04:57:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Personally, I think that favored souls are somewhere in the middle: more than a cleric, but less than a Chosen.

That'd be my thinking as well.

I'd only see a favoured soul becoming something more if the deity she served required a specific mortal being to fulfil a special task or duty that the deity's Chosen couldn't otherwise handle. In which case, the favoured soul might receive a temporary power and/or ability boost -- for the duration of the task the soul has been asked to perform.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  05:40:11  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I really just disagree that a "Favored Soul" is more of a special snowflake than a Cleric (except in their own mind). Think about the difference in real life between a regular clergy person and a fundie evangelical. The latter, they talk a lot like the wording used for a Favored Soul. They truly believe that they have it all right, that they're carrying "the spark" or what have you, and they're willing to throw down with snakes to show people exactly how deep their faith goes. At the same time, they sacrifice a lot in order to get there: their faith is strong, but they don't have the versatility to think out of the box all the time.

Favored Souls aren't chosen or selected by the deity - it's the reverse: they choose complete and total dedication over other concerns. And by doing so, they sacrifice the variety of spells they can choose from and they lose skill points compared to regular clerics. At the end of the day, ANY cleric is going to have "powers beyond normal men" because they're clerics. If you have the chance to play one, their "benefits" are more than countered by their losses. It's a path they choose for themselves, not a path their deity chooses for them.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  13:48:12  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also consider that Jarlaxle was said to have been "blessed" by Lolth, and Bruenor was said to have been enchanted and to have become "champion" of Moradin, Clangeggin, and Dumathoin. The actual word "Chosen" was not used in either case.

Clearly, Bruenor is a devout of his god Moradin, while still honoring the other two deities. But it would seem that Jarlaxle could hardly care less about Lolth. He's even gone so far as to call her the "Spider Bitch"!

So blessings and favor do NOT seem to always be dependent upon their level of devotion.

Maybe there's still some hope for Liriel, after all . . .

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  18:52:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of favored souls as "chosen" (lower-case C) of a particular god, but not necessarily "Chosen" (capital-C).

We get spun up about the capital-C "Chosen," but really that just indicates an individual who is specifically and very powerfully blessed by a particular god for a particular purpose. The Chosen of Mystra are the most famous Chosen, because they are long-lasting, heavily invested with power, multiple, and heavily covered in the lore/fiction/sourcebooks. But in truth, lots of Realms gods may have Chosen, and may have had them for a very, very long time, and their powers probably vary extremely widely.

A favored soul is kind of like a Chosen, in that she channels her god's power directly, but I don't really see how she is more powerful or more faithful or more significant than a cleric of that god. They both wield that god's power, and they both have a channel to that god at all times. A favored soul's channel is just more open and more direct.

As for a Chosen, well, we don't really know exactly how their powers work in every instance. We know how Chosen of Mystra function, but that might not be the same as how Chosen of other deities function. Erevis Cale and Riven are basically Chosen of the god Mask, and their abilities are distinct.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  03:05:11  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favored Souls in the Realms are officially outlined here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070425
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  05:12:54  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I wrote that, my understanding was similar to that of what Erik outlined. A Favored Soul might be "chosen" lower-case, but not possess the template. I played in a long running campaign with a Favored Soul character, who was often somewhat apart from the clerics of his faith. But that was my interpretation. No one would confuse having levels in Favored Soul with having a Chosen template. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive, but they usually are.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  05:57:47  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I think of favored souls as "chosen" (lower-case C) of a particular god, but not necessarily "Chosen" (capital-C).

We get spun up about the capital-C "Chosen," but really that just indicates an individual who is specifically and very powerfully blessed by a particular god for a particular purpose. The Chosen of Mystra are the most famous Chosen, because they are long-lasting, heavily invested with power, multiple, and heavily covered in the lore/fiction/sourcebooks. But in truth, lots of Realms gods may have Chosen, and may have had them for a very, very long time, and their powers probably vary extremely widely.

Would you consider Sithe to be a favored soul?
A favored soul is kind of like a Chosen, in that she channels her god's power directly, but I don't really see how she is more powerful or more faithful or more significant than a cleric of that god. They both wield that god's power, and they both have a channel to that god at all times. A favored soul's channel is just more open and more direct.

As for a Chosen, well, we don't really know exactly how their powers work in every instance. We know how Chosen of Mystra function, but that might not be the same as how Chosen of other deities function. Erevis Cale and Riven are basically Chosen of the god Mask, and their abilities are distinct.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try and parse out your question, Lilten. Hang on.
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Would you consider Sithe to be a favored soul?
I'm not going to give a definitive "no" (so as not to get in the way of future design), but Sithe isn't mechanically a member of the Favored Soul class. She is (in 4e mechanical parlance) an Avenger, which is basically a rogue/paladin or rogue/cleric (in 3e terms). Sithe's relationship with Shar is quite strained, and she has moved on to blaze her own trail largely without the Goddess of Loss.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  16:44:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see favored souls as more of an "active arm" of the church. Their clerics spend much more time in study, and the favored soul spends more time proselytizing and acting out against the enemies of the church. The god does not require them to seek wisdom but rather perform a call to action and inspire others to follow the god. I wouldn't go so far as to say "chosen" because I wouldn't say the church would give more priority to them over clerics. Its almost like they are a "militant" arm of the church, but with less militancy....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  05:09:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I like that description, it fits both the initial description of Favoured Souls and the Realms.

At those who see Favoured Souls as Zealots and Preachers I don't understand why? Why don't even have to pray for thier spells and they don't even get religion and the fluff given for them indicates some may actually resent being chosen.

As for the 5e realms its sounds like the new Chosen created for the Sundering are more akin to Favoured Souls, born chosen, and starting off with weak powers, then Chosen with the Chosen Template.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  05:58:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Lillianviaten: you're not the only one begging for another Liriel novel. Heck, I'd beg for another FR book by Elaine, period!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  07:06:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I like that description, it fits both the initial description of Favoured Souls and the Realms.

At those who see Favoured Souls as Zealots and Preachers I don't understand why? Why don't even have to pray for thier spells and they don't even get religion and the fluff given for them indicates some may actually resent being chosen.

As for the 5e realms its sounds like the new Chosen created for the Sundering are more akin to Favoured Souls, born chosen, and starting off with weak powers, then Chosen with the Chosen Template.

If you're referring to my earlier post where I was contrasting a real-world priest with a real-world evangelist, it wasn't my intention to suggest that favored souls somehow were "preachers" of their faith. My intent there was solely to point out that Chosen have direct, regular communication with their deity and Favored Souls really don't - at least, so far as we know. Their faith is sort of an egocentric assuredness that they are doing the "right thing" when it comes to their deity and what it wants. But like a real world evangelist, their rigid devotion and strong adherence to what they believe limits them in many ways. Yes they have a strong faith. But at the same time, both evangelists and Favored Souls don't have much depth in their thinking (or uncertainty) and can often be at odds with the churches of their deity. They might even have nothing to do with their deity's church whatsoever. But even if they are apart from the church, they DO tend to constantly proselytize about their deity because they exist (i.e. if the god didn't agree with what they're doing at all times, why are they a Favored Soul?).

I dislike the concepts of both Chosen and Favored Souls, because I think they put deities too much in the foreground and tend to steal away personal choice of the player who plays the PC. Talking about why I dislike Chosen is a bigger issue that I won't get into here. But here's why I specifically dislike the concept of Favored Souls:

1. They're a "class level", and classes always imply choice. But at the same time, if you take the description at its word, they are -literally- a shard of a god's essence born into the world. Their very existence suggests not only destiny but also a lack of choice for players. They -must- often very narrowly act in accordance with their deity's real wishes (how this is determined is unclear), not just because of some church dogma, but because that is who they are and what they must do because of their origin. Limited choices, while also not actually knowing what their deity would want, isn't great for roleplay unless you use lots of signs and portents, or "inner nudges" and feelings.

2. If you instead take a far less literal meaning of the class description, it still ends up being kind of terrible for gods and their faiths, and what it all means, spiritually. If the Favored Soul is not literally a shard of the god's essence, then they're choosing to nurture and grow a "shard of faith" perhaps. At the same time, they are not even remotely required to follow the church dogma of their faith and can easily go against said doctrine with no penalty whatsoever. But they still have all those divine spells at hand, inherently from their deity. When that's the case, they can quite easily (or accidentally) create schisms within the faith, with heresies and beliefs that commoners might choose to adopt because the PC is a powerful "Favored Soul" after all. Even worse, it suggests that they are somehow "special snowflakes" that are better than regular clerics devoted to the same deity. Where you have choice and uncertainty with a Cleric, the Favored Soul just does what it wants whenever it wants, and need not follow any church tenets if they don't like them.

3. It's too "character defining" for a PC. Once you have a favored soul in the group, their story always has to involve them doing things the way their deity would want (at least for that character). It tends to be a railroading element because it's so definitional of what that PC stands for, and limits complexity. With a Cleric, they're never exactly sure what their deity wants, and in fact a good percentage of any cleric's time and activity need not be defined solely by their association with a particular deity. In some ways, being a "shard of the god's essence" (or whatever) is just as limiting on development as having a Marvel Comics mutant power, or even a 4E Spellscar. That "thing" becomes their defining quality and you can never escape it or put it on the shelf when the narrative might require it.

Edited by - Therise on 29 Aug 2013 07:20:52
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  14:36:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I don't personally see it that way, but interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  18:05:19  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting, I don't personally see it that way, but interesting.

I'm curious, how do you see Favored Souls? In terms of their utility, their purpose, and how they impact on story?

I'll admit, for certain stories and campaigns they might work well. But like Chosen templates, I see them as railroading both character and story development. In the case of a truly epic plot/adventure, where the PC and their deity's goals are paramount to the story, it works.

But for my group, and for myself as well, we tend to prefer campaigns that stay in the low-to-middle power levels. Lots of politics and wrangling, subtle but interwoven plots all over the place, those are what we prefer. On rare occasions we do sometimes do an epic story/adventure, but for the most part XP is slow (sometimes, weeks pass with no battles) and roleplaying is paramount. Negotiations, wheeling and dealing, interactions with nobles, magical research, and deeply connected and interwoven stories are our thing. Not good for a Favored Soul, really.

Edited by - Therise on 29 Aug 2013 18:07:10
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  18:47:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reinstalled Neverwinter and its expansions. The name of the character is Joanna thrice blessed. First blessing when she was abadoned as a baby in the woods a woods man found her and adopted her giving her a loving home which given she's a half drow is amazing, second was when a disease swept her village killing everyone, she survived, and lastly her third blessing was when her magical powers manifested when she ended up in the Mere of Dead Men.

Clearly this girl is glass half full type of girl if she's calling herself thrice blessed ;D
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  19:32:27  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reinstalled Neverwinter and its expansions. The name of the character is Joanna thrice blessed. First blessing when she was abadoned as a baby in the woods a woods man found her and adopted her giving her a loving home which given she's a half drow is amazing, second was when a disease swept her village killing everyone, she survived, and lastly her third blessing was when her magical powers manifested when she ended up in the Mere of Dead Men.

Clearly this girl is glass half full type of girl if she's calling herself thrice blessed ;D

Is this in the Neverwinter Nights computer game? (The one before the Neverwinter MMO, I'm guessing?)

In general, I find that D&D translations to computer games (even MMOs) don't fully mirror tabletop play. Class choices really end up just being variant classes and often don't fully represent the underlying subtleties of a given class. That doesn't mean they're any less fun, just that you don't get the roleplaying depth of tabletop play.

In tabletop play, if I allowed someone to play a Favored Soul, they'd have to incorporate it into the story. I'd have them consider their actions and choices in accordance with "being a shard" of their god's essence, even if you take the less-literal interpretation of their origin (just as I'd ask that a Paladin act in ways that remain true to their alignment and deity's ethos). In most computer games, you usually get all the mechanical benefits and class features without having the definitional story elements involved.

Edited by - Therise on 29 Aug 2013 19:36:28
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  20:46:58  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reinstalled Neverwinter and its expansions. The name of the character is Joanna thrice blessed. First blessing when she was abadoned as a baby in the woods a woods man found her and adopted her giving her a loving home which given she's a half drow is amazing, second was when as a young teenager a disease swept her village killing everyone, she survived, and lastly her third blessing was when her magical powers manifested when she ended up in the Mere of Dead Men.

Clearly this girl is glass half full type of girl if she's calling herself thrice blessed.

Given her bio its doubtful
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  21:39:24  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

@Lillianviaten: you're not the only one begging for another Liriel novel. Heck, I'd beg for another FR book by Elaine, period!

Liriel is my favorite drow in the Realms, even more so than Drizzt and Jarlaxle. She definitely needs another trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  21:50:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the MMO is absolutely aweful, this is before that, using more or less 3.5 rules.

As to how I would use a Favoured Soul in table top, I wouldn't make them all knowing about thier Gods will, but I make divine manifestations more common, after all this person has possibly no religious education, so has no guide as to her God's will except for instinct and manifestations as well as what ever scraps of knoweldge she has.

Also I'd have tension with high level clergy as they might treat her as a living relic and might be overly controlling and protective. Low level clerics would be in awe, same with Paladins and the like.

As for her relationship with her God, she can serve willing or she can rebel, but as long as her actions serve what ever plan that God has set out for her, it matters not.

So to use Joanna as an example, other Sharessin would see her more like a living holy relic, then a holy woman, common folk would touch her with reverence as someone with a piece of the divine.

Maybe when her powers first manifested she saw a glowing pairbof lips that explained what she was and that Sharess is the source of her powers.

She probably knows nothing about Sharess except what the manifestation told her. She undoubted would be thankful for Sharess' support and may have a vague idea of where to start serving. Sharess isn't pushy deity so that leaves her room to manvuer.

From thier it depends on the plotline of the adventure.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  22:36:54  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, the MMO is absolutely aweful, this is before that, using more or less 3.5 rules.

I've played a little of the Neverwinter MMO but haven't gotten very far yet. I have played more of the earlier NWN game, I liked it a lot but also didn't get very far into it.

quote:
As to how I would use a Favoured Soul in table top, I wouldn't make them all knowing about thier Gods will, but I make divine manifestations more common, after all this person has possibly no religious education, so has no guide as to her God's will except for instinct and manifestations as well as what ever scraps of knoweldge she has.

Also I'd have tension with high level clergy as they might treat her as a living relic and might be overly controlling and protective. Low level clerics would be in awe, same with Paladins and the like.

As for her relationship with her God, she can serve willing or she can rebel, but as long as her actions serve what ever plan that God has set out for her, it matters not.

So to use Joanna as an example, other Sharessin would see her more like a living holy relic, then a holy woman, common folk would touch her with reverence as someone with a piece of the divine.

Maybe when her powers first manifested she saw a glowing pairbof lips that explained what she was and that Sharess is the source of her powers.

She probably knows nothing about Sharess except what the manifestation told her. She undoubted would be thankful for Sharess' support and may have a vague idea of where to start serving. Sharess isn't pushy deity so that leaves her room to manvuer.

From thier it depends on the plotline of the adventure.

Actually, if we're talking about just NPCs, I think I'd handle a Favored Soul in very much the same way as you've described above. So I think we're similar in that way. But for a player's PC character, I just think it would be very difficult for them to roleplay. I'd probably allow it in my game if the person was experienced in roleplaying, and had a really good concept for their plans and how they'd respond as their deity would want. I'd also have to incorporate quite a bit of deity-related things for that person to experience. Which is fine, of course, especially if the player is really excited about the character concept.

Edited by - Therise on 29 Aug 2013 22:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2013 :  04:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt I would play one (I prefer Arcane Casters), but if I did I have an idea of how I would do it. I would play the character as deciding to use their powers for (good, evil, gathering loot, whatever the game in question best supports) once they discover them. The character would question why they were chosen to have them and what they are meant to do with them. They would be sure that they are meant to do something with their powers, they just aren't sure what exactly. As such, they would seek out sages, clerics, paladins, etc to help them understand the ways of the gods and the role of others like themselves in the plans of the gods. Maybe they discover their grand destiny, maybe they discover they have no destiny and the god that blessed/cursed them was just feeling bored that day. I think it would be more about what my character would choose to do with their powers and what they learn about them than what whichever god intended.

Alternatively, I would play as the Favored Soul of a god like Cyric and rebel against his favor, using my power to fight his clergy at every turn. A likely late game character revelation would be to discover that Cyric was hoping for just such a reaction as part of some insane scheme to test/cleanse his clergy and then be forced to decide what to do from there.

I would base these on the highlighted sections below:

"The Favored soul follows the path of the cleric but is able to channel divine power with surprising ease. She is able to perform the same tasks as her fellow divine spellcasters but with virtually no study. Favored souls cast their spells naturally, as much through force of personality as through study. Though this gives them extraordinary divine abilities no normal person could ever match, they see their gift as a call to action, and so in some ways may lag behind their more studious colleagues. Favored souls cast divine spells by means of an innate connection rather than through laborious training and prayer, so their divine connection is natural rather than learned. Mortals who perform great services to deities, devoting their lives and work to the cause of their god or goddess, sometimes become the Chosen of that deity. Being born a favored soul has both advantages and disadvantages. Like a cleric, a favored soul has access to her god's divine magic. Unlike a cleric, however, the magic of a favored soul is natural. As such, it is unlikely to be denied by her god. Because favored souls do not need to pray for their spells, deities don't need to The approve or disapprove each and every incantation. This and the many divine powers of a favored soul make members of the class quite powerful. Despite these powers, favored souls are often hindered by a sense of inescapable destiny that surrounds their births. They didn't choose their paths and may not want anything to do with their religion. In this way, the powers of a favored soul can be a burden rather than a blessing"

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000